PDA

View Full Version : WALNUTS,WALNUTS,EVERYWHERE

mykee
10-03-2000, 09:11 AM
WAS TO A CUSTOMERS YESTERDAY WHO HAS A BIG WALNUT TREE OUT FRONT. dURING MOST OF THE SUMMER THERE WOULD BE A WALNUT OR TWO OR THREE DOWN IN THE YARD BUT, !!!!! YESTERDAY I HAD TO TAKE AN EXTRA 5 MINUTES JUST TO CLEAR THE AREA OF AS MANY WALNUTS AS I COULD BEFORE STARTING TO CUT. I THREW THEM OUT INTO THE STREET WHERE THE TRAFFIC JUST MASHES THEM UP. i FIGURE THAT THEY ARE ALREADY FALLING IN THE STREET ANYWAY SO WHAT DOES IT HURT FOR ME TO THROW A COUPLE HUNDRED MORE OUT THERE. BY THE TIME I WAS DONE IT LOOKED AS THOUGH IT HAD RAINED WALNUTS. i SWITCHED TO MY MULCHING KIT LAST WEEK AND THE LEAF PROBLEM IS TAKEN CARE OF BUT THE WALNUTS SURE MAKE A HELL OF A NOISE UNDER THAT DECK AS THEY GET MULCHED UP. i BELIEVE THAT ANY ONE WHO IS NOT GROWING WALNUTS AS A CROP HAS NO BUSINESS WITH A WALNUT TREE. wHAT A DIRTY DIRTY TREE. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT DO YOU DO?? WILL I DO ANY DAMAGE TO THE MOWER MULCHING UP WALNUTS??

TLS
10-03-2000, 09:20 AM
I have a customer that had some pruning done on her 100' black walnut. They cleaned up dead limbs and generally thinned it out (May) now this is the first year that there is hardly any walnuts in the tree or in the grass!! They need to invent an injection or vaccine for dirty trees. Mulberry, apple, pear (bees), locust, walnuts, etc. Stop them from developing fruit. Lets take 2 guys off curing Cancer and AIDS and get them to develop this!! Just kidding.

Toroguy
10-03-2000, 08:25 PM
Where Im at the squirrels break the nut open and carry them all over the yard. Glad there is only one tree.

gene gls
10-03-2000, 09:07 PM
I have 2 customers with Beechnut Trees. The ground is covered with nuts and husks.

geogunn
10-04-2000, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear you guys don't care for walnut trees!

I go around and pick them up for use during the winter. black walnuts taste great in brownies and ice cream.

the farmers used to sell them when I grew up as a kid.

the wood is very valuable when finished for furniture making.

I'll bet they do make a mess under a mulching deck, however!

GEO

Runner
10-04-2000, 08:54 AM
Now THERE'S an optimist! lol What we usually do is just wait until the squirrels are all donen and they're all broken up, and just pick the shells and remains up then. A little messier, but a whole lot easier.

bob
10-04-2000, 10:23 PM
Started cutting a new lawn 3 weeks ago( a day care). There must be a hundred black walnuts on the ground under the tree. I think I'll box'em up and ship them to GEO!

MOW ED
10-05-2000, 06:53 AM
I trap squirrls for this very reason. I have 200 squirrls in a cage in the back of my pickup and when I have a nut problem I just open the gate and the little fellas clean up while I watch.

I figured this problem out but Im having trouble keeping deer on my trailer to eat all the apples that have fallen and the customer has no intention of picking up. Any ideas?

geogunn
10-05-2000, 08:25 AM
mow ed--to keep deer on a trailer it must be at least 16 feet long. the higher the sides, the better!

GEO