PDA

View Full Version : Your all time favorite tool,mower,trimmer,etc

scottb
10-03-2000, 03:30 PM
I know this is a little different than usual but we have all had things we really loved to use. Mine was a John Deere 870 4wd tractor. Only 27hp but man was it strong for its size. I would invent things to do just to drive it. But alas I got married and my wife really neede a car now no more 870,man I miss that tractor.

Richard Martin
10-03-2000, 04:56 PM
Ironically enough my favorite machine is also the one I hate the most! My 50" Pro 150 GRAVEly. The reason I like this machine is because I am constantly doing something to it. I love to modify machines. Just last week I added gussets to the deck baffling that made a world of difference and replaced all of the wheel bearings ($175.00). The reason I hate this machine is because it has taken so much time, effort and money to get it to cut grass the way it does. My next project for this machine is... Replace the 14 HP Kaw with a 17 HP twin Kaw. Another $800.00.

stick9
10-03-2000, 07:48 PM
Hey...

My favorite tool is my custom Stratocaster. Oh yeah .. and I like using the 6200 redmax. (When it's working ok, 'eh Scotty?!?!)

stick-Nine

Richard Martin
10-04-2000, 02:03 AM
Hey, another musician! Last year I picked up an 83 Tele that had been severely abused. Someone had removed the original pickups and installed a couple of Dimarzio Humbuckers in their place. I brought it home and removed everything from the body and shot it with some Porche Targa Red. Then I got a new Fender Pickup for the neck, coil tapped the Dimarzio at the bridge and got a new pearl pick guard. This one sweet playing, sweet sounding and sweet looking axe.

jaclawn
10-04-2000, 06:58 AM
Sears 3hp leaf vac/blower. Yes, a Sears Craftsman. It had a horizontal fan on it that would suck up leaves into a bag. It was terrible as a vaccuum, but take the bag off, and it was the best blower.

It not only blew the leaves to the side, but it also vaccuumed the ground directly underneath the machine.

I picked it up for $50 at a yard sale in the late '80's, but it has since been retired. I should try to re-build that thing one of these days.

Eric ELM
10-04-2000, 08:09 AM
If you would have asked me this 10 years ago, I would have said my JD 430, because I really like the Yanmar diesel. The sound of those 3 cylinders hammering away was like music to my ears. If you would have asked me this as the beginning of this season, I would have said my 22 HP 60" Chopper, because it has given me so many hours of good service, it's now up to 3,137 hours. Since your asking now, it has to be my new 2001 60" Chopper with the Yanmar diesel engine. What a combination for me. When I got it in June, I didn't even turn the music on in my hearing protectors for over a week, but I did wear them over my ears. I wanted to be able to hear the engine, because it was my dream machine. A ZTR with a Yanmar :D

dhicks
10-04-2000, 09:29 AM
My favorite toys: 1) Hustler Hydro W/B (I prefer using this machine on properties less than 1.5 acres). The Hustler is a great mower and the cut is great. I prefer it to my Toro Z-Master 62". 2) RedMax EB7000. I love the power of this machine. My biggest dislike of the EB7000 it is a gas hog.

awm
10-05-2000, 10:32 PM
My favorite has to be my stihl 028 .
Its just made to keep on cutting.
My fist lawn care mower was a used
rear engine snapper with briggs 8
1978. Inever could get it to quit.
A good machine .

Turf Kutter
10-05-2000, 10:38 PM
My favorite trimmer and edger are stihl.

John DiMartino
10-05-2000, 10:46 PM
As of right now it has to be the steiner its an 98 ahs 4500+hrs on it and hasnt broke down in 8yrs.The last time it did was in 92 and it was our own fault,its a tough machine.Its a 420 4x4 with 60" deck,48" dozer blade,york rake,4ft loader,powerblower,and a disc edger

Redmowers
10-06-2000, 09:18 AM
My favorite mower was a 1977 Jacobsen commercial 21 cut 2 stroke mower. The engine was almost indistructable ,could mow almost all day on a tank of gas.I wore out the original wheel bearings replaced them wore the tires out .Took wheels off old Bobcat mower (greaseable ones)didnot wear these out.The aluminum deck was getting thin so I scrounged another one. The only maint I had to do was change the exhaust gasket ,when I neglected to clean exhaust vents under the deck.If I could stand the noise it sure had more power this way.Probably would start now if I were to try it.

Bobby
10-06-2000, 09:00 PM
I had a 42ScagSTHM hydro. Great mower. They quit making them due to no demand.
Hey Richard and stick9, I've got a Fender Bronco.1940 something. Great shape and a Takamine elec-acoustic.
The tak sounds beter amplified than acoustic.
We just bought a 5410John Deere for some big mowing. Got a feeling it may be my next favorite machine. I know what you mean about that diesel Eric. This on has 80hp.

Runner
10-06-2000, 09:20 PM
Without a doubt, the favorite machine here is the new BINFORD MOWMASTER2000. The ULTIMATE in grass cutting technology and performance! Come on, Bob Vila!!! Sincerely, Tim "The Toolman" Taylor

bob
10-07-2000, 11:36 AM
This isn't my most favorite tool, but it's worth mentioning. It's my 6" rake that I use when I cut hedges. It cost $4. It's better than the 30", because it gets in between the shubs with ease! I couldn't do my hedge jobs with-out it.

RYAN
10-08-2000, 10:57 AM
Right now my favorite tool would be my stihl br400 backpack blower. I just got it last week and I love the power. I find myself tracking grass on driveways on purpose, just so I can blow it off. Sure beats the crap out of my echo handheld. Second favorite is my Exmark metro.

TGCummings
10-08-2000, 11:46 AM
Until last week it was my Exmark Turf Tracer. Now, it's gotta be my trimmer attachment on the Stihl FS85. Remarkable how much easier those hedges are w/o the handheld...

-TGC

Samurai WeedWacker
10-08-2000, 11:55 AM
John Deere 105C trimmer. It's incredibly light & easy to handle.

powerreel
10-08-2000, 01:26 PM
Gotta say I love the Garden Claw.

Scag48
10-08-2000, 03:15 PM
Mine has to be my Sthil BR320 backpack blower. Love the power. I've already put about 6-7 hours on it in 1 month. Great workhorse. I can do alot of work with it.:)

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 03:17 PM
my 61" scag with bahia deck,it'll cut anything,i've cut bahia over 3 feet tall and it will walk right thru it,it also leaves a great cut on finished lawns with the mulch plug

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-09-2000, 07:15 PM
16hp Billy Goat Leaf loader & an EZ-dump bed insert with 5' plywood sides. Leaf season will never be the same

Nathan
10-11-2000, 09:47 PM
I anyone hasn't used one of echo or stihls new articulating hedge trimmers on a line trimmer shaft, you don't know what you are missing. They are about 1000 times more time efficient than a standard hedge trimmer, much more balanced(I have used one many times for hours stopping only to refill and still not broken my back) and it almost eliminates the need for a ladder. We also started buying the stihl head alone, it is a much better design than the echo and it only costs 200 bucks versus 600 for the echo, we then file some metal out of the clamping area and fit it onto an echo trimmer. This works excellently, the echo is much easier to start adn the hand controls are more convenient,plus it's lighter. You can also purchase a two different size shafts from echo if you want a lighter or more balanced machine. Try one out you'll love it.

dylan
10-11-2000, 10:05 PM
I like using all of my tools but with the cooler weather at this time of year I like the Stihl 026 saw. Nothing like being out in the bush with the leaves changing.
Hey Richard Martin; Good to see others improving their equipment for fun. I like changing and improving my machines too. My project right now is a 1975 COOP rototill. It is going from 8hp to 12hp and 18" to 30" with duel tires. My customers call it the tank.

Nathan
10-13-2000, 08:51 PM
I din't even think of this until today, it rained like hell on us.
About six years ago I was really sick of putting on crappy rain gear and either getting soaked with sweat or having the stuff rip just after I bought it. I started looking around for really good raingear and couldn't find any. I do a lot of skiing and wanted to find something as good as my ski outfit that didn't cost 800 bucks and would last. Finally I came across goretex work wear from a company in oregon. I bought the jacket, used it for a week and decided that I had to buy the pants asap. The stuff is the most comfortable, longest lasting most rainproof raingear you will find. Mine is 6 years old now and still fine (aside from some holes I patched with shoe goo. Everyone I have worked with I have loaned the jacket to for part of a day and they went out and bought a whole outfit the next week. The stuff costs about 300 bucks through Gemplar's mail order (I think their site is gemplars.com)It might seem expensive but I would buy a new suit every year if I had to, it's that good. I don't sweat anymore and stay dry all day.
If you want to be comfortable out there go try it out, I am not kidding. It is by far my favorite "tool"

eslawns
10-14-2000, 10:00 PM
It's a tie between...

My Redmax EB4300 BP blower. I can't even remember what life was like with only a HH. :)

A 26" Bachtold brush mower. It's a real SOB to run but it cuts stuff taller than I am, does it in places you couldn't get a bush hog, and makes me a pile of money.

Let's see the neighborhood kid do THAT!

weedwoop
08-01-2002, 11:28 PM
What is a bahia deck? Can you mow fields with it?

agrostis palustris
08-02-2002, 01:13 AM
I would have to say that my favorite tool at this time would be my Big Shot, that along with my slick line and Pantin.

awm
08-02-2002, 10:13 AM
this lazer has taken over as number one from the 028 stihl . simply cause i use it so much more. both what i want ,jus keep on going, no fuss ,jus like i have to.

Tvov
08-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Our Echo backpack blowers. It has gotten to the point now that we hardly ever use the rolling blowers, because the backpacks have gotten so strong. We take at least one backpack blower with us to every job, whether it is mowing, timber work, weeding/maintenance, etc. We rarely use a broom for cleanup anymore.

scottb
08-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Now this is an old post brought back to life.

olfrt
08-02-2002, 12:09 PM
My old Walker 1992 16.5 diesel over 4000+ hours

My wife and son ran that thing hard for years. When it did brake we fixed it. (usual stuff belts, starter, hydro's, wore out 2 decks)

The 2 of them would run 100 lawns a week with one machine during the season. The supporting cast was Robin trimmers and a Robin hand held blower.

My wife lost the Walker in a lake last year (Just 2/3) of the engine. I did the top end, rebuild the starter and put it back to work last year. It is still running today.

Of course when they got behind due to rain I got to help. My son is in the service now. Wife still does 70+ yards a week I generaly help on Sat and Sun my days of LOL.

ilovethisgame
08-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Mine would have to be my echo pb400e backpack blower a.k.a. the orange screamer. I bought it back in 1989 rebuilt it this season. Yeah I'm the scourge of the neighborhood but, damn what a blower!

-Dave

scottb
08-02-2002, 05:08 PM
My new one would have to be a 2002 model 263 Massey Fergson Tractor wit dual hydraulics,shuttle shift and a front end loader. Well I dont actually have this one yet but I will someday. Hey a guy has to have dreams.

PetalsandPines
08-02-2002, 09:38 PM
AMES SOD SKIMMER. BAR NONE

hustlers
08-03-2002, 12:02 AM
my 1950 chevrolet fleetside deluxe
all original, cruising down the
road on a nice sunny after noon.
My Walker and Hustler shortcut,
and echo 2100 whip

mountain air
08-06-2002, 09:30 PM