PDA

View Full Version : anti-scalp rollers

65hoss
10-03-2000, 07:13 PM
As you know I recently purchased the Exmark 52" HP and I seem to scalp to much with it. No yard is perfectly smooth and the rollers don't seem to be working. Although, I did notice that the rollers are all the way at the top, so the bottom of the wheel is even with the bottom of the mowing deck. I assume this is not correct. Where should the rollers be set?

Eric

Runner
10-03-2000, 07:46 PM
Eric,
I run Exmark myself, and the answer really depends on what height you do most of your cutting at. Right now, we're cutting at 3 mopst of the time. I have our casters set one notch down on all casters except the right side. These are set one notch lower because with the 60" decks, it tends to scalp a little on the right side when going around a right turn- even wide, sweeping ones. Now, I don't know if the 52" decks are prone to do that, but anything's possible. I hope this helps.:)

Eric ELM
10-04-2000, 08:27 AM
When I used mowers with them, I set them while on a hard surface so they were about 1/2" from touching the hard surface. This was on a JD though. I don't even know if yours are adjustable, but I would think they would be.

KirbysLawn
10-04-2000, 04:40 PM
Two questions:

1) How high are you mowing
2) What type of surface are you mowing (Hills, smooth, bumps)

Ray

65hoss
10-04-2000, 06:58 PM
I cut at 3" to 3.25". I set the rollers at about 1/2 like Eric suggested and that works. No scalping today at all. But I did notice that the wheels got a workout today. I can hear the back wheels rolling in the grass all the time. Do I have them set to low? My terrain is mostly flat with the normal bumps. None of my customers have ever considered a smooth lawn. :)

Eric

Cutter1
10-04-2000, 07:11 PM
I have a 52 HP. I have my wheels set at 2.5. I really do not cut anything lower than that, so I keep it set on that. It cuts good and only scalps on a big bump.

John DiMartino
10-04-2000, 07:45 PM
Maybe this is far off base,but when i got my dixie chopper new,it scalped so bad on every little hump.It turned out that the deck wasnt pitched right from the factory,it was 1/2 reversed pitch instead of 3/8 positive pitch,since its been fixed it hardly ever scalps,and i can now avoid scalping altogether with proper tire placement-where as before i had to literally mow at 4" to keep from scalping.My cut has improved 95% since they pitched it forward to.Good luck getting it dailed in,sometimes a big problem can be traced to a little adjustment-but until we find out which one it is-it is frustrating.

Charles
10-04-2000, 08:02 PM
Ever try looking at the owners manuel? Kinda helpful

Tyler Nash
10-04-2000, 08:45 PM
Hey man, I just got my new Lazer Z HP 52 yesterday and I love the machine. When the dealer dropped it off, he said that the anti scalp rollers should be 1/4 inch off the ground on concrete. So basically, you should set the height that you normally mow with or at least the shortest height and adjust the wheels until they are 1/4 inch of the pavement. I have had no problems with mine scalping and I am just in love with the machine. Did you get the 23 Kaw? How do you like the unit so far?

I hope this helps.

Cutter1
10-04-2000, 10:06 PM
I have the 23/52 Laser. I love it so far. I use mine a lot and its still running strong. I got mine late in the season and have over 300 hours on it and have no problems. The Kaw engine is built to run. THe only thing I don't like is the plastic drain plug, I was complaining about it on another thread!! Other than that, it has been great. They also put a stronger spring on the hydro pump belt, it was slipping, nothing major, but I thought I would tell you.

Runner
10-04-2000, 11:36 PM
Hey Eric, You were wondering about the wheels constantly turning when the deck is down? I believe this is normal Mine do it, and so do others that I know with Lazers. If you disengage your blades, you can hear like it has gears or something. When we're cutting at 3-3.25, we're going to get that.

65hoss
10-05-2000, 12:56 AM
Great! Sounds like I have it correct.

I love the machine, it will run its a$$ off. I have the bagger on it now, in prep for leaves and does a great job. I do have the 23/52. So far I love the HP. The cut is awesome(now that not scalping) and can cut at top speed when needed.

Eric

jrblawncare
10-05-2000, 05:53 AM
Eric,I'm about to add the ultra vac to my 52" HP for leaves and maybe thach removeal [after De-thaching jobs]They say you can remove the bagging system in minutes once it is installed..is this true...They say it does a great job just need all the info.I can get before sending around 1200.00 for it!THANKS

65hoss
10-05-2000, 08:57 PM
Go get it. It works very well. I can remove it without any tools in about 45 seconds. There is a tab that you can loosen just enough to move with your fingers and a lever to take the tension off the belt and pulls right off. The bags are amazingly easy to empty. They are tapered to dump into bags without any trouble even with wet grass. I give it an A+.

Eric