PDA

View Full Version : opinions on used exmark wb

truckster
08-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Hello, just registered and wanted to get everyone's opinion on a mower I'm going to look at this weekend. I'm a new homeowner with appx 2 acres to cut, which I'm currently doing with a 21inch push mower. :cry:

I want a walk-behind because I'm contemplating starting a small mowing business next spring on a part-time basis. My community is growing at an astounding rate with many developments. The normal yard size is 1/2 to 2 acres.

The mower is a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro with a Kohler 18hp. The mower was used commercially and has 1200hrs on it. I do not know exactly what year the mower is.

So I have the following questions. Thanks in advance for answering, the folks on this site are very helpful.

1. What is the normal life expectancy of a commercial engine on a walk-behind if well maintaned? I'm on a limited budget and want something reliable. Is this the ticket....or too many hours?

2. Is a 60" too big? I've used a buddy's 50" Gravely gear drive wb and loved it. But is the 60" too much for the main mower of a one man business?

3. Trailering: Is the 60" gonna be too big to trailer on say a single axle utility trailer?

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks Again!!

CoachLinz
08-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I just started out this year, so I don't know as much as some of these guys, but I'll throw a few things at you. For your yard, that mower sounds perfect. Not sure about the hours - hopefully someone who knows more will come along soon. As far as using that mower for business, as long as you stay on those 1/2 acre and up lawns I don't see why not. I use a 48" on mostly 1/4 - 1/3 acre lots. I don't think I could go any bigger than the 48". In fact, I'm thinking about a 36" instead because several have so much landscaping that the 48 is hard to maneuver. I think it might actually be quicker on those with a smaller mower. Anyway, 60" sounds good for what you're looking at. Exmark is a good name (the 36 I'm looking at is an Exmark). As for the trailer, I don't see why not. Good luck.

grassdaddy
08-17-2003, 11:50 PM
1-that turf tracer is one of the best.I would think it would have many hours left.IMO an LCO keeps his stuff better maintained than home owner.
2-unless its gated,you can put a 60"about anywhere you can put a 48"
3-just about any trailer can haul 600lbs.
4-if you decide its not for you,you can always get rid of an exmark.:)

goodbeus
08-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by grassdaddy
2-unless its gated,you can put a 60"about anywhere you can put a 48"

That statement is incorrect...there are gates that a 52" or 48" can go through, but not a 60"...I run a 36" and a 52" ...I personally wouldn't go any bigger than 52" on residentials, it's just to big...commercial property, maybe a 72":cool:

ffemt1271
08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
i have a 22" push mower, a 48" metro hp w/b, and a 60 lazer z