PDA

View Full Version : Should i invest 950.00 to get my snow plow installed?

syzer
10-03-2000, 11:08 PM
Being a new business im trying to accordingly allcate my funds. Is it worth taking 1k and getting this snow plow installed on my bro's truck? Im not sure.

Thanks.

Chris

TLS
10-03-2000, 11:19 PM
How much is your time worth? If your handy and do all your repairs, go for it. This way WHEN it breaks, you know how to fix it! You may need an impact gun, however I don' know of any that need any welding to install anymore. That seems like a lot to install. Plus you get to dictate where you want to mount your controls, light switches etc. I've seen some "prof" installs that just hunked on the switches to the brand new dashboard...eekkksss!!! Nobody touches my truck!

landscaper3
10-03-2000, 11:31 PM
Thats a tough one 1st do you have plow accounts set up, 2nd how many or how much will you make plowing, we plow around 15 to 22 storms a year and are very big one up here in Maine. Biggest question will you make you money back plus your time plowing if yes go for it.

syzer
10-03-2000, 11:33 PM
Thats my prob. Here in MD, its hard to tell if we will get alot of snow or none. Allot of ppl are saying we will be. I dont want to be caught wth my pants down.

TLS
10-03-2000, 11:37 PM
OH NO..... Lets not start a YELLOW SNOW topic!!!! LOL

landscaper3
10-03-2000, 11:42 PM
Try to get plowing contract set up (stay with residential) unless your prepared to sand like we do. They are less headaches involved, make up some flyers asap and hand them out to some local areas and put on flyer something like if you want us to plow for you please call us as soon as possible to schedule you in and last plow job is free, or something in that line.

guntruck
10-03-2000, 11:46 PM
either way gents we have the 7'6" western already the quick detatch, that has motor cylinders lights and all. Its like 950 for the brackets and wiring installed, syzer and i are handy we weld are good with electronics but our time is VERY limited... One good snow and we get our money back GUARENTEED!! My good friend here gets 100$$ an hour for pushing. My bro and i are just trying to decide if maybe we should put those funds somewhere else right now or go ahead and get the plow. I would hate to let it go till next year cause bet your bottom we'll get snow if we do and ill be sitting watching everyone else stuff there pockets =)..

cos
10-03-2000, 11:47 PM
i hooked mine up my self and was surprised how easy it was. The electrical was probably the hardest.

Eric ELM
10-04-2000, 12:13 AM
If you get the right mounting brackets for your truck, it should bolt right up. Get the right wiring harness and it should be easy also. That seems very high to install it to me. I had the brackets and wiring harness taken off my old 1985 F250 and new brackets and wiring harness installed on my 1997 F250 HD for $600. I think you could find a better price, if you shop around.

Finecut
10-04-2000, 01:24 AM
Retail cost of plow frame should be about $410.00 and Joy stick about 150.00 and the wiring harness and solenoid about $150.00 they would charge about $300.00 dollars to install. The above were prices we got to have a Western plow unimount (Our plow pump and lights) put on and set up. The cost of a new Western Pro plow was $2575.00 out the door installed. I can't find the written quote but I feel certain the numbers are real close for parts and labor.

[Edited by Finecut on 10-04-2000 at 04:26 AM]

jaclawn
10-04-2000, 07:45 AM
Is the $950 just for labor, or is that parts and labor?

dhicks
10-04-2000, 10:03 AM
I.M.H.O. If I had a grand to invest, I doubt that I would be rigging my brother's truck. I'd be rigging my own truck. I don't have all the particulars of your situation, so I may be off target. This sounds like a Maalox moment to me.

mykee
10-04-2000, 01:01 PM
IT SEEMS THE QUESTION HERE IS THE PRICE OF THE INSTALL
AND IF IT IS JUST LABOR OR PARTS WITH
BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU DONT INSTALL IT YOU DONT HAVE A CHANCE IN HELL OF RECOVERING ANY COSTS AS ITS NOT GOING TO DO YOU ANY GOOD SITTING IN YOUR DRIVEWAY
SHOP FOR PRICES BUT I WOULD SUGGEST YOU INSTALL IT IF YOU PLAN TO MAKE ANY MONEY WITH IT

guntruck
10-04-2000, 02:07 PM
Dhicks the truck is mine but used for our buseiness, he has no truck, the plow is also mine and we dont run the business that way (this is mine that is mine) we do whats good for the business. All we need is the brackets and wiring the 1000 bucks will be reimbursed to him through company assets... Thanks for comments =)

dhicks
10-05-2000, 09:48 AM
In either case, your truck, your brothers truck or the company truck, I hope you make lots of money.