PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes problem.

Bunton Guy
08-06-2003, 11:37 PM
So I have had no trialer brakes on my enclosed trailer for quite some time. I got a flat and forgot to turn the brakes off...rode it for a few miles and now my friends says I most likely fried the wires. Not knowing which wires I fried and not knowing where to start for looking for a short in the wires which way is the best to go about this. The wires are all ran through the frame. The company did a great job hiding the wires they drilled a little hole right off the axle and ran the wires through the frame all the way to the tongue but it makes it a Biotch to find which wire or to even replace the wire that is burned out. Any suggestions?

DUSTYCEDAR
08-06-2003, 11:45 PM
what kind of trailer is it?
does you're trailer brake controller work?
did the flat tire rip the wires?
u pry blew a fuse if it had one.
did the wire come lose at the plug?

Bunton Guy
08-06-2003, 11:57 PM
The trailer is a 7X16 Horton enclosed

The trailer brake controller works because I have other trailers that I use it on and it still works fine.

The flat tire didnt rip any wires because they arent in reach of the tire..(run through framing of the trailer).

I checked all the fuses in the trucks panel with none to be blown.
The trailer itself dosent have any fuses on the trailer unless its hidden.

The plug is in decent shape. The plastic part itself has some scraped but the wires are still in great shape.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-07-2003, 12:03 AM
the wires inside the plug u have to take it apart to see if one pulled out of the way to tiny holders in the plug.
is the ground to the trailer frame in good shape?
i think it is the blue wire that is the brake wire see if it is getting power on the trailer side of the plug. if yes try back at the brakes if you can get to it.

Bunton Guy
08-07-2003, 06:22 AM
I will try that. Also have you ever seen the trailer hubs that have a D shaped fitting that is needed to get the hub apart?? Is this something that is readily available at a parts store? I have tried to get this at pep boys and im pretty sure they didnt have it.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-07-2003, 07:17 AM
not sure what u are talking about d shaped fitting got a picture?
at worst the trailer company should have the part.

Bunton Guy
08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I will try to take a picture. The trailer sales company I got it from is 3 hours away. When you take off the metal cap where all the bearings are on the hub there is a fitting inside of that in order to get into the brakes to check out the pads I have to break that loose.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-07-2003, 10:25 PM
when u take off the dust cap or bearing buddy there should be a castle nut with a cotter pin through it pull the pin and take off the nut remember how tight the nut is for re installing later but after the nut is off the drum should came off so u can see the brakes

Bunton Guy
08-07-2003, 11:15 PM
There is no castle nut with cotter pin. I know what you are speaking of and this one is a nut with a flat side...shaped like a large D...no pins just a large D lol.. I will try to take a picture if I can.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
i have a plasma cutter:blob2:

QuadRacer041
08-08-2003, 05:07 PM
i think your leaving out some important info,are all the brakes not working or just 1 or some?do you hear the magnets inside the drums hum when you apply the brakes?
why does your freind think you fried the wires?sounds unlikely just cause u got a flat.
its possible that the magnets that activate the brakes are worn out and not working, it is also possible that this has happened over time meaning that each magnet has worn out one by one over time in effect cause each brake not to work.so you might have had 4 brakes then 3 then 2 and so on.
like i said its unlikely that you fried a wire cause you got a flat, and why would u have to turn off the brakes cause of your flat?

give me some more info and i think i can get u in the right direction.

Bunton Guy
08-09-2003, 08:01 PM
NO Brakes work. When im in the truck and I go to put the trailer brakes on and set the diles they will set...but as soon as I hit the brakes the controller flashes OL for ' overload ' . I had forgotten to turn off the brakes when I got a flat...and that worried me because last trailer I did that on the wheel stayed locked up the complete ride home (5 miles) and had done alot of heat damage to the rim,fender, wheel well & axle.

QuadRacer041
08-10-2003, 07:24 PM
i would get the drums off and check out the magnets.