PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy toro 2-stroke this season& have problems

Twotoros
10-03-2000, 11:10 PM
THIS YEARS TORO 2-strokes

My friend is having one torn apart now . It has some bad bearings.His other one goes in next. I also have one making some nasty rattling sounds and another with a few rattles. Rumor has it there might be some problems with a batch .All four are new this season-June.

Anyone else notice anything ? If so please post.
I will get back to the forum when I hear more.

TLS
10-03-2000, 11:21 PM
Are they the same as the 6.5hp Lawn-Boy engine? Had a muffler shake itself apart and break the pipe to muffler weld. It does vibrate some. May be a blade out of whack. My old Lawn-Boy was a 1981 that lasted till 1998 and my Dad still uses it. This new one has more power, but doesn't run as smooth.

Keith
10-03-2000, 11:30 PM
I actually had a bad one 5 years ago. Similar deal, alot of knocking. Ended up trashing it. I don't think they make them like they used to.

Mowman
10-04-2000, 08:17 AM
Yes my 21" Commercial was knocking. I took it in and they called Toro and they asked what brand gas I was running. I told them I was running 89 Octane Marathon. The Toro rep told them to tell me to run Shell 89 Octane and if that did not take care of the knocking problem they would replace the mower. I thought yea WHATEVER. So I did what they asked and to my surprise the knocking stopped. I guess Marathon additives does not agree with the engine. This was in July, it's now October and it is still running fine. Don't know if this will take care of your problem or not. It won't hurt to try a tank of Shell and see if the knocking stops. Good Luck,
Mowman

gusbuster
10-04-2000, 09:24 AM
Like mowman said, it's the gas.Twotoro's, is your area going through the gas re-formulation. California has been going through this the last few years. Stay with the BIG brand name companies such as Shell. Also, your 2-cycle oil, stay with brand name(stihl,shindiawa). They make the companies that provide oil reformulate faster. 2 cycle machines are on their way out in the next 20 years. That's the tree huggers for you.
John

Twotoros
10-04-2000, 04:45 PM
All I know for sure is my friends mower was torn apart and the bearings were bad . It is the 5 horse susuki. I don't think our gas is being reformulated.I heard that maybe next year toro will have the 2 stroke 6.5 out and that it passes all emmision tests . I have used the comm. toros since 1986 with very few problems. Hope these sounds I hear are gas.

turfman99
10-04-2000, 06:10 PM
I agree with the gas theroy also. Manufactuers thses days use so many componet parts, that having a quality control porcess on vendor supplied parts is impossible and non existent. If there was such a program, the cost would be passed right on. Today's amrket does support that kind of cost. It's much cheaper just to pay ( or in Kohlers case, deny) warranty claims.

My supplier tells me that Toro WILL NOT manufacture the 2 cylce engine after 2001 at all. Still trying to confirm that.

Twotoros
10-04-2000, 07:15 PM
I heard the same thing about no 2x but it was the sa-zuke. The new 6.5 was a go. Time will tell.