PDA

View Full Version : Winterization

rixtag
10-04-2000, 05:21 PM
Hello all. I was just wondering what you all do to winterize Your 2stokes and 4stroke engines. Just curious

Rick

KirbysLawn
10-04-2000, 05:44 PM
Watch the fuel levels, upon last use I drain the tanks, then run them until they quit. I then pour a fuel stabilizer into my main gas tank.

leeslawncare
10-04-2000, 05:49 PM
Here in tennessee it was so warm last year that i was useing mine into nov an i cranked it back up mid feb so ....i usually top off the tank change oil check belts make any repairs needed clean her up an wait till warm spring

Greenkeepers
10-04-2000, 05:51 PM
We drain the gas and run the tanks dry.
Clean under all decks and pressure wash and paint if necessary.
Take blades off and keep them off all winter
Do whatever maintenance
Jack heavy equipment to keep the weight off of the tires.

What have I forgot??

Mike
Greenkeepers

lawrence stone
10-04-2000, 06:27 PM
DO NOT drain fuel from the carb. This will dry rot the gaskets and needle and seat valve.

The problem with free advice is that it is worth about as much as you have paid for it.

rixtag
10-04-2000, 07:18 PM
I leave the fuel in the tanks, but I add fuel stabilizer for the last 2 weeks of use. I also change oil but the question is: Do you change it again before you fire it up next season OR do you just run it? The reason for my original question is that when I winterize my waverunner I have to spray fogging oil in it ( because it is a 2stroke) and coat the internals with the oil to prevent rings sticking, rust etc. It never occured to me to do this with my mowers, trimmers etc. Any new thoughts? It would make sense to do it to all but I want other peoples ideas.

Rick

MOW ED
10-04-2000, 07:41 PM
I fog out everything. Kohlers owners manual recommends a teaspoon of oil or so. Fogging is much better. 2 and 4 cycles all get it.

landscaper3
10-04-2000, 08:42 PM
Way up North here we keep all equipment gassed and run stablizer in all equipment. Draining all gas up in colder elevations like up here in Maine will end up putting condensation in carb bowls and possible rotting gaskets.Just put stable in it and run it long enough for it to go through system!

Sammy
10-05-2000, 02:07 AM
I fill all tanks up with gas. Change oil in the spring.

HealthyLawns
10-05-2000, 02:39 AM
Move to Florida.

lawrence stone
10-05-2000, 12:07 PM
Sammy it is best to change oil after the last cycle is completed in the fall. Used oil contains by-products of combustion that can harm bearings and bearing surfaces.

What I do is change oil only once a year in the fall with full syn. During the season it is add only no matter how many hours the engine has ran.

Full syn. oil is good for 20k miles no problem. Since I consider mower hours to be like highway miles 20k miles equals 400 hours.

Motor oil made from crude is an inferior product. It is only good for gasoline and fuel oil.

bdemir
12-29-2000, 12:45 AM
I have three hondas that are not starting because they sat too long with old gas. WHat can i do to get them running again. Just long enough to fog them and sotre them till spring.

bdemir

geogunn
12-29-2000, 01:00 AM
what is all of this advice?

YEESH!!! are you guys all burying these things in the back yard or what?

all you have to do is crank them from time to time!!!

GEO

Eric ELM
12-29-2000, 10:15 AM
That's what I do Geo. It's worked for me for the past 16 years. I start everything up about once a month and let them warm up. I do fill the tanks up to prevent moisture problems. Up here where it gets so cold, it will get frost in the tank if they aren't full which turns to water when it thaws.

rixtag
12-29-2000, 05:51 PM
Here we have weeks at a time that the temp only gets between 20-30 f. I don't really want to pull on the rope for ages and it's too freakin cold to wait around for everything to run 30min or more total. My waverunner sits for 3-4 months with no problem....it works for me. Now if I had a nice heated garage....

Rick

Getmow
12-29-2000, 05:56 PM
bdemir, Drain the gas from the tank, drain the gas from the carb. bowl, add fresh gas, replace the plug then try starting.

SMB
12-29-2000, 06:41 PM
I put Sta-Bil in our Bob-Cat and changed the engine oil shortly before putting it up. Run your equipment some to keep the battery charged, since a fully charged battery will not freeze. I have left a battery not fully charged and ruined it.

bdemir
12-29-2000, 08:15 PM
It is freagin cold outside. Come on they have only been sitting for one month or so. I just stopped fall cleanups in november and now ok so its a little more than a month. But i did start 12 other pieces of equipment and they all started and are stored away with stabil except for the one dixie and that never starts easy even in the summer. I did drain all of the fuel form the tanks and the carbs and now i will put in new gas and check the plugs. I bought out a business and now i have nothing but equipment all over the place. THanks for the replys.

bdemir