PDA

View Full Version : annual bluegrass

Huey010
08-09-2003, 12:25 AM
My question has to do with unwanted grass, I have a grass that is taking over most of my blue grass in the backyard in Eastern Nebraska. I have been told it is poa, or annual bluegrass. It is a finer blade and just lies down when stepped on. Is the only way to get rid of this to kill it with roundup and reseed. Three years ago I done this and was amazed to see it come back even more aggressive. Is there anything else available i can use on this, I was also told that if i put on a preemergence real early in the spring it wouild not come up, that being, if i got rid of what is there now. Would really appreciate any anwers you good ppl have on this, Thanks again, Budge Heusman

Grassmechanic
08-09-2003, 11:27 AM
I've used a product in the past called Prograss for poa on golf course fairways. If my memory serves me well, I believe the chemical name is ethofumesate. It will wipe out poa without damage to your bluegrass. Also has some pre-emergent effect. Use it with a good pre-em program, and you should be all set.

Huey010
08-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike, Hey thanks so much for your valuable information, I just wanted to know if i can use the Prograss at this time or do i have to wait until spring. And, does this product get an immediate kill? Thanks again Mike for your help, it is much appreciated. Budge

Grassmechanic
08-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Actually, I only used it in the fall. It turns the poa into a gooey, gelatinous mess. Then, you may have to overseed if you have large areas that were killed. Otherwise, just fertilize as normal and the KBG will fill in. It is rather slow, similiar to Round-up, but it sure knocks the poa out!

Huey010
08-13-2003, 01:50 AM
turfmechanic, I am having a great deal of difficulty in finding this prograss, noone around here has heard of it, ha, I talked to the greenskeeper at our club and he said he has something there that was given to him and he would check into it, i guess if nothing else, i will just have to roundup, one smaller area in my frontyard that is what i am going to do tomorrow, i do appreciate you taking time to try and help me, I notice you are in SE Mich, and wonder where you are, i have friends in that part of the state. Thanks again my friend, and i also just wondered if that was a granular substance i put on with a spreader or is it a liquid. Have a super week and ty once again. Budge Heusamn

Grassmechanic
08-13-2003, 08:59 AM
It comes in a liquid. I purchased it from Turfgrass, Inc. out of South Lyon, MI 1-800-521-TURF.

tnedator
08-13-2003, 01:07 PM
I haven't tried this stuff yet. However, Image, claims to handle annual Blue grass. I purchased it for Nut grass, but haven't tried it yet. You can get it at places like Home Depot. Here is a link to the manufacturer's site.

http://www.amdro.com/Image/

Huey010
08-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Thank you very much for your time and your info, I will look into it,

John Gamba
08-13-2003, 01:18 PM
If You core aerate It Will help Get rid Of The Poa.
John