PDA

View Full Version : New Equip!!!!

steveair
10-04-2000, 09:05 PM
Hello,

Well, I finally did it and went out and got me a brand new Toro dingo. It was a tough decision, but after many weeks of decision making, it seemed like the thing to get.

So far, I LOVE IT. I've only had it on one job, but it is working out great. So far, I've moved boulders, moved topsoil, unloaded plant material, transported 2"5 inch caliper trees, ripped out stumps, etc. etc. and have to say it is very efficient. My days of wheelbarrels may have been put to rest........

My only real complaint is ground speed. Its a little slow on open ground, but considering the speed of pushing a wheelbarrel by hand, I can live with it.

It's actually doing more than I evisioned. I had to move some boulders, around 600 lbs each, and did it with little or now problems. It has plenty of lift, just need to add some extra weight (in my case I stole the front weights off of our JD tractor at work) and put it on the back for counter balance. Unloading off of a truck is somewhat limited, but it does a good job moving when the forks are low.

Don't have any power attachments yet (big $), but am looking forward to getting some in the spring when the business picks up again. For now, I'm happy and think I've made the right choice.

What I like best, is I managed to be able to get the machine, all the attachments, and then All of my hand tools, concrete saws, compactors, etc. in my smalle 7x14 enclosed trailer without much hassle. Its nice being able to show up to a job with everything I could possibly need. As I acquire more attachments though, gonna have to do some re-planning.......

steveair

eskals
10-05-2000, 02:00 AM
Steve:

I had Kanga demo one of those mini skids for me a while back. Then on one job I decided to rent a mini. All i could find was the ramrod. It was a nice machine, but didn't seem as nice as the kanga. Alot of people around on the landscape forum think that they are too small and expensive, and they can be. However, if thats the machine that fits your work than thats the machine you need. Somehting bigger won't necessarly be better. Sure the little machine can't do everything the big machine can, but the big machine can't do everything that the little machine can. Its a trade off. Buy what fits YOU and what YOU need.

Anyway, I rented this machine on a small landscape job which required moving 8 ton of cobblestone down into a backyard w/ very limited acess and removing 2 ton of sod. Worked beautifully. Traveled back and forth over that lawn and all it got was trampled. Bounced back in a few days w/ no traces of the machine. It was the perfect machine for the job and made me want to run out and buy a mini.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the dingo? Kanga quoted me a price of $12,000 for one with the 20 horse honda engine and a bucket.

BTW, I got a little sore learning to run the thing. I kept bucking and getting thrown. Took a good hour of use before I got really good at it.

Hope you enjoy the new purchase..

Eric

FIREMAN
10-05-2000, 09:19 PM
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

steveair
10-06-2000, 06:37 AM
Hello,

I considered the ramrod also, but had one problem with it. Customer service. There's only one dealer who sells/service them (jersey p*wer) and I have to say I didn't feel safe buying from them. I called about 10 times, literally, and was always told "we'll get back to you", "the salesman is not here", or my favorite was, "we are closed this week for our yearly vacation break" Great, just what I wanted to here if the machine broke

As for the weights, yes, very critical. I've been putting about 300 extra lbs on the back and that help out tremendously.

steveair

Stonehenge
10-07-2000, 07:37 PM
Steveair - have you had the chance to excavate with your new Dingo yet? I'd wonder how well it could excavate for a paver patio or walk.

FIREMAN
10-08-2000, 07:27 AM
STONEHENGE,
MY EXPIERIENCE IS THAT IT(AT LEAST THE RAMROD)CAN NOT SCRAPE WELL. YOU WOULD NEED TO TILL OR USE A HOE ATTACHMENT BEFORE CONSIDERING TRYING TO SCRAPE ANYTHING UP.

steveair
10-09-2000, 09:15 PM
I have not done any real excavating yet, but will agree with fireman and say that it will not work very well, at least will not work anywhere as fast as other pieces of equip will. If you would compare it too digging out a walk by hand with shovel and wheelbarrel though, it is leaps and bounds ahead then.

If I had a small walk to do, I may consider using it, but it would have to be pretty small (under 200 sq feet). I do not own any other equip, so instead of spending the money on a sub or rental, I would probably try to rough it out for a small job, which I think is possible.

As I'm learning, it does have its limits, but it truly is becoming a "extra person" on all of my jobs, and best of all, I don't have to worry about it calling in sick or showing up late because its girlfriend is sad, its dog died, its feet hurt, etc. etc. etc.

steveair

FIREMAN
10-10-2000, 10:21 PM
STEVEAIR...IF YOU WILL BE USING IT FOR SMALL EXCAVATING JOBS....SUCH AS WALKWAYS...CHECK OUT A TILLER ATTACHMENT...WILL GO DOWN FAIRLY DEEP AND THEN YOU CAN SCOOP THE DIRT EASIER..GOOD LUCK WITH YOU NEW TOY..LOL..DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PLANT SOURCES OTHER THAN CONDURSO'S? IF SO DO YOU HAVE NAMES AND ADDRESSES?

steveair
10-11-2000, 03:58 AM
Fireman:

Gardens of the World, Inc.
-58 white hall road, andover, NJ
-973-786-6023
-good selection, ask for Paul assanti or Rob

Blue Atlas Nursery:
-155 flanders-netcong road, flanders, NJ
-973-347-9292
-good selection for larger specimans

Kuperus farmside gardens
-loomis ave, sussex NJ
-973-875-3160
-usually a large selection of perrenial, can get large
orders of perrenials also

Shades of Green
-newton, NJ, rt 94, newton NJ
-just opened this year, so selection was not too great but they are starting to grow. Owned by a a former partner of condurso's I believe, so I expect the place to look much the same, along with pricing, etc.

Sussex County Botanical Gardens
-andover NJ, 973-383-9400
-a unusual place ran by a hippi- most materials are native to our area, home grown, very natural looking
-watch out for the chickens running ramped around the yard

Cerbos
-newton, NJ 973-579-5518
-they also have a other shop in the parsippany area, this is the actual production nursery.
-have a large selection, good to deal with

Most of these places may be a little far for you, but they all help me out with my needs until I can start buying direct. Between all of them, I can get just about everything I need.

as for the tiller, Yes, I've been thinking about it for excavating, but the price tag......ouch, they want over 3 grand for it. I will wait till next year probably to get that as winter is upon us. For now, I've been using the ripper attachment, which is not to bad, but the tiller would be much nicer.

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 10-11-2000 at 08:07 AM]

PRapoza451
10-14-2000, 04:25 PM
Stonehenge,
I've had my Dingo for about a year and a half and I've found it very useful for diging out and then spreading material for base prep. I just noticed ASV http://www.asvi.com came out with a mini track machine that you ride in and is only 46" wide. It is definately worth a look. Only 2.5 psi. One problem, I emailed them for some info and sent my website hotlink in with the email and they emailed back looking for my address, which is on the site, so they either didn't take the time to visit my site or they are unfamilar with the web? When I emailed them back my address they promptly sent back a nic video with a spec sheet but no prices. I emailed again and left hotlink with no responce yet. They seem to be a little slow or stupid over there. But the machine looks great.
http://www.rapoza.com

eskals
10-14-2000, 05:45 PM
That machine by ASV is pretty neat looking. I also asked for some information.

ASV sounds so familiar. I want to say that I have seen their machines around, just can't rember where.

Eric

Foster
10-19-2000, 05:18 PM
Hi, I demo'd a maximan. Made in North Dakota. only 32" wide. It's on tracks. Lifted over 500 lbs (I think it is rated at 650). It had a narrow and long snout-like bucket for digging and worked good. Unfortunately, I broke a drive chain after using it for only 30 min. It's very slow! Wanted to use it as a power wheelborrow. They had a pretty good deal (or so I thought) on demo models... $4400 for a 13 hp unit. I actually had to buy the unit and sent it back... hope they return my money!