PDA

View Full Version : What can a 1/2 ton truck do?

dave80
08-11-2003, 12:27 AM
I am in the market for a used truck, and was wondering whether or not I should really concentrate on looking for at least a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. 1/2 ton are a lot easier to find, and don't cost as much, but I don't really know what they are capable of. I will probably be looking at either a Ford or Chevy.

I would like to use the truck that I buy for mainly hauling my trailer and mowers, but am also considering getting into laying mulch. How many yards could I pull (with a 350 or 351) in say, a 5 X 16 dump trailer. Also, I want to add plowing as a service. I have had people tell me that it would be too much for a half-ton, and then I have had people tell me that it would be fine.

Any advice?

maple city
08-11-2003, 03:09 AM
You can plow a little with a 1/2 ton. If you are considering doing a lot of plowing, get the 3/4 ton. With the 3/4 ton, you will never run into the problem of not being able to handle a job. You will be able to bid on plowing and lawn care jobs without having to worry if your truck can handle the work. We just hauled 2 yards of mulch in the bed of our 3/4 ton last week. We had our trailer with all our equipment on it. Hauled the mulch and the trailer without a problem.

Mykster
08-11-2003, 03:10 AM
A 1/2 ton would be capable of doing the work you want it to, but a 3/4 ton would be MORE capable.

Barkleymut
08-11-2003, 03:13 AM
How much are you looking to spend? This will help others give you a recommendation on what years and configurations to look for.

I also vote for at least 3/4 ton.

Gomez
08-11-2003, 10:24 AM
If you're going to be using it commercially, I'd go with the 3/4 ton.
It's the right tool for the job.

dave80
08-11-2003, 11:25 PM
Ok, well I looked at a truck tonight. 1993 Ford F-250. 351 with 111,000 miles. Its an XLT Lariat model (all power) and has a new cd player. The tires are brand new and there are only two small spots where it looks like it is starting to get some surface rust. It comes with a bedliner, metal bedrail protectors, and a metal toolbox that matches the bedrails (silver metal with diamond shapes on it). It has a gooseneck hitch and a bumper hitch. He is asking $7900, but of course he hinted on the phone to come take a look and see what kind of a deal we could make. Any suggestions on price or what kind of durability I could expect with this truck?

Barkleymut
08-12-2003, 08:18 AM
I hate used anything, so take my advice with a grain of salt. A 351 is not the most powerful engine in the world and if he is pulling a gooseneck trailer (heavy) then I would expect that truck has seen a hard 111,000 miles. I know I said to get an F250 but did you know you can get a new f150 for $11,000? A $7000 down payment would leave you very low payments and a dependable little work truck. Just don't expect any fancy options on the truck.

dave80
08-12-2003, 10:51 PM
How can I get a new F150 for $11,000?

F-150 XL
MSRP $19,920*
EPA estimated mpg:
17 city/20 highway (4x2/manual)**

That is from the Ford Website, and its just a base truck 2WD with a 4.2 V6.

Gomez
08-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Bring a trade worth about $7,000.;)

studentlawn
08-14-2003, 12:15 AM
ive also been asking myself this question latley. Im buying a truck, what should i get yada yada yada. Believe me the way to buy a truck is auctions. SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH some more. Here in mn i finally found an auction that was getting rid of minneapolis service trucks. unfortunatly last week i got their late and they wouldnt give me a bid card. My 95 f350 crew cab with 47,000 miles went for 3,200. Errr you better believe in 26 days ill be the first on in line for registration when they unload the next batch of minneapolis service vehicles. my suggestion, find where your city unloads their vehicles. they tend to do so during the fall months.

pottstim
08-14-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by dave80
How can I get a new F150 for $11,000?

F-150 XL
MSRP $19,920*
EPA estimated mpg:
17 city/20 highway (4x2/manual)**

That is from the Ford Website, and its just a base truck 2WD with a 4.2 V6.

Like the other fella said, "a trade-in worth 7,000" Also, you have to remember the incentives are very high right now on new vehicles. For instance, I can trade for a new '03 Silverado and get the following: 3,000 rebate, 1,000 Chevy/Gm Loyalty, and they just announced an additional $750 cash back. That is a total of $4750. However, all of these incentives tend to make the value of your trade-in go down the toilet. The local Chevy dealer has an '03 Silverado 1500 4x4 long bed with the 5300 V8, towing pkg, cruise, a/c, rubber floor, etc. , and I have been thinking about going down there to see what he can do for me on trade. The way it is set up, it would make a great work truck for me. I love my current Silverado, but it is only a V6, and I am longing for more power to pull my trailer around. Also, it is really a pretty truck, and I hate to beat it up. The new '03 is pretty much a plane-jane truck, but still looks decent. I should probably just keep what I have and probably will, but I may check into it anyway. Best of luck.

lawn perfection
08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
You can't go wrong with the 3/4 ton. If pulling alot this would be the right choice. Nothing wrong with 1/2 ton its just not built as heavy.

Randy J
08-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by dave80
Ok, well I looked at a truck tonight. 1993 Ford F-250. 351 with 111,000 miles. Its an XLT Lariat model (all power) and has a new cd player. The tires are brand new and there are only two small spots where it looks like it is starting to get some surface rust. It comes with a bedliner, metal bedrail protectors, and a metal toolbox that matches the bedrails (silver metal with diamond shapes on it). It has a gooseneck hitch and a bumper hitch. He is asking $7900, but of course he hinted on the phone to come take a look and see what kind of a deal we could make. Any suggestions on price or what kind of durability I could expect with this truck?

Holy cow! I'd sell you my '97 F350 dually, with a 12' flat (stake) bed & Powerstroke diesel for about that much! And it has gooseneck and rear hitch hookups as well as a trailer brake setup. Of course it isn't loaded, but it's an awful nice work truck. I'd say you better look around some more.

Randy

ksss
08-15-2003, 03:29 AM
If you are on this forum, then there is nothing that a 1/2 ton can do that a 3/4 or 1 ton can't do better.

landscapingpoolguy
08-27-2003, 08:30 PM
i have a dodge ram 1500 1/2 ton it has an easy dumper, air lift springs, and a 318 magnum motor. i can do almost anything anyone else can but its still limited.....it is a great truck for getting started but i am retiring it to grass only duties and am purchasing a full dump prolly an NPR or international....if all you can affors is a half ton the buy it and beef it up a bit.....put some extra heavy duty spring in teh rear and youll be set to go but know your limits.

Chuck
Perfect Property Services Inc.

Frosty_03
08-28-2003, 01:54 AM
I have no problem pulling my trailer load with all my stuff. I think I will purchase a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for next season. I leaning toward a Chevy or GMC Durimax Diesel with the Allison Trans, Test drove a Chevy today and liked it. It was smooth and quite, but it did come with a good price. My 1/2 Dodge Ram has gave me good service it has 118,000 and still looks and runs good. Here it is loaded down ready for work.

Frosty_03
08-28-2003, 01:58 AM
THis was early in the season

Randy J
08-28-2003, 09:54 AM
The 318 is a real good motor, those things will run forever. What you need to do is keep that truck for estimating, and then buy a nice F350 dually flatbed diesel, like the one I'm selling:).
I'm not a GM fan, but I really haven't heard anything bad about the Duramax.

Randy

Frosty_03
08-28-2003, 11:25 PM
I wish I could get a flat bed. Randy I will keep the Dodge I just need something bigger to tow with, I am buying an enclosed trailer soon and I think with the weight and the air drag I think I will be better with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for more pulling power. I am also thinking about getting a fifth wheel travel trailer so I can go south for the winter.

pottstim
08-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Frosty,
If you are interested in a GM truck, they are supposed to offer a single rear wheel 1-ton truck for 2004. In the previous years, the heaviest truck you could get with single rear wheels was the 2500 HD with 9,200 GVWR. The 3500 Single rear is supposed to be rated at 9,900 GVWR.

Frosty_03
08-28-2003, 11:46 PM
I don't mind having a dually it is just that 43K I dont want to pay. I think I might be able to get a good deal this weekend with all the labor day sales that are going on. I like the long bed cause I can put my bike in the back when I go to Florida. I have a friend that has a single axle dodge 3500 and he said it pulls just like his old dually. Thanks for the info though

:cool:

pottstim
08-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Frosty_03
I don't mind having a dually it is just that 43K I dont want to pay. I think I might be able to get a good deal this weekend with all the labor day sales that are going on. I like the long bed cause I can put my bike in the back when I go to Florida. I have a friend that has a single axle dodge 3500 and he said it pulls just like his old dually. Thanks for the info though

:cool:

I hear ya, Frosty. Not long ago, my local Chevy dealer had a Chevy Duramax Crew Cab Dually with the LT package in stock. It had every single option and the sticker was almost 48K:eek: . Awesome truck, though. I see you won't be trading in your current truck on a new one. That is a smart move, because the high incentives that the manufacturers are offering really hurt the trade-in values. They say the only way you can make out well is to go into the deal with no trades. Best of luck, and I hope you find a truck that you like.

Frosty_03
08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
The one I test drove had everythingon it too it was a two wheel drive, but Potts like you said it had all the bells and whistles. The inside of the cab is a lot larger than a Dodge 4 door. Oh did I mention it had four real doors. Yea thanks on all the info and if I get it or should I say when I get I will post some Pictures.Later Dude:cool:

Randy J
08-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Frosty, I'm not trying to start another truck war, but if I were going to buy a new truck, I'd buy nothing but the Dodge/Cummins. I've had great luck with my'97 F350 Powerstroke, and I've not heard much bad about the Duramax, but the Cummins straight 6 is where it's at for a light duty truck diesel motor. As for wheel configuration, the dually's are really nice if you have a lot of weight in the back of the truck, such as a truck mounted camper, a heavy fifth wheel or gooseneck. If you're going to pull one of these, the duallys are worth looking at - the extra wheels add a lot of stability. If not, the single rear wheels will work just fine. I definately agree on a long bed. I know it's just a personal opinion, but I just can't see buying a heavy duty truck with a short bed! Good luck and enjoy the truck shopping!

Randy

Frosty_03
08-29-2003, 08:35 PM
Randy as you know by my picture I am a Dodge man, however it seems that the GM products are giving more bang for the buck. I know that the dually is good for a more stable ride with the bigger loads and all,so thats is why I am looking at a dually, I did look at the 2500 Dodge 4 door yeasterday and it seems that it is no bigger inside than my 1500, however that Chevy that I test drove has a biggger cab inside. I guess I will just see who gives me the best deal for my dollars. Thats for your advice. :cool: This is why I need the long bed!!

Randy J
08-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Now that's pretty! Tell me about it?

I know the Dodges aren't the roomiest cabs, I can't figure out why they don't change that. There's a lot of people that need the extra room and so won't buy a Dodge. I would just have the make the rear seat passengers suffer though, if it meant a Cummins motor. Have fun truck shopping!

Randy

promower
08-31-2003, 03:08 AM
I have 99 silverado 1/2 ton with a 350 and I havent had problems with not enough power. I actually hauled 4 tons of dirt with it, most on the trailer but some in the bed. I'm sure I could plow with it to but for that use a 93 dodge dakota V6, which is alright but it would be nice to have the 8 cylinder for plowing.