PDA

View Full Version : legal advice

lawn
08-11-2003, 04:39 PM
:confused: I would like to know where to get legal advice on customers that refused to pay. Like the ones saying that they will not pay the bill because .. an excuse.... just to avoid payment. What do you do? How do you deal with people like that? any website that helps you write letters to this customers? or any other source that will not cost a lot of money?
thanks

bruces
08-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by lawn
:confused: I would like to know where to get legal advice on customers that refused to pay. Like the ones saying that they will not pay the bill because .. an excuse.... just to avoid payment. What do you do? How do you deal with people like that? any website that helps you write letters to this customers? or any other source that will not cost a lot of money?
thanks

How about a lawyer?

Seems like a good source for reliable legal advice to me.

BSDeality
08-11-2003, 05:36 PM
i threatened taking my last non-paying (ex) custome to small claims court. that got the ball rolling. i didn't have a contract either, so it could have back fired in my face, but it was enough of a "I'm serious about getting my money, so pay up" thing.

paponte
08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Around here, any registered business is required to have signed contracts for any work they perform. If you don't have one, not only are you not getting paid, but you are also getting a $600.00 fine. :cool:

GLAN
08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
A verbal agreement is what was established. Go to small claims court.

Paponte I believe is refering to where it pertains to pesticide applications.

However if you provide lawn cutting and the applications. All the judge cares about is the verbal agreement. And that you can show a history of invoices and so on..........

KenH
08-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Clientcheck.net.

Team Gopher
08-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi Lawn,

Here is an interesting thread (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48819)that deals with this topic.

lawnMaster5000
08-11-2003, 10:57 PM
This site will send your customer 4 letters of increasing severity, with the fourth they will report the customer to a credit agency. All for only $20.

http://www.olddebts.com

there are also several other options, all of which are fairly cheap but do not carry any guarantee on collection.

lawn
08-12-2003, 10:52 AM
thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

ProMo
08-13-2003, 09:14 AM
https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/con_de_1.mv

paponte
09-10-2003, 01:19 AM
Paponte I believe is refering to where it pertains to pesticide applications.

Not true. In Suffolk it states "ALL licensed businesses must have a signed written contract for any work performed". Failure to do so can result in a $650.00 fine. It also states that the consumer has 3 days in which to cancel the contract. You must inform the customer of this, and should have something in your contracting stating that the customer agrees to waive that right.

GLAN
09-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by paponte
Not true. In Suffolk it states "ALL licensed businesses must have a signed written contract for any work performed". Failure to do so can result in a $650.00 fine. It also states that the consumer has 3 days in which to cancel the contract. You must inform the customer of this, and should have something in your contracting stating that the customer agrees to waive that right.

OK

We don't work in Suffolk. If I recall many years ago that wasn't necessary. Oh yes, yes. That is cause of the scams that was happening a while back with contractors. The need for the contract was for the consumers protection.

Think I am going to check for any updates to Nassau that I am not aware of.........

tiedeman
09-11-2003, 11:28 AM
you first of all should have a lawyer. I usually always solve the problem by telling the customer that they have until such and such a date to post mark a check in the mail or I will pursue the matter in small claims court...so far 100% of them have paid.

If you really want to get dirtly, just have your lawyer file a suit where they just take the amount owed out of the customers paycheck until paid in full.

lawn
09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)