PDA

View Full Version : fertilize now?

Orkin Yards
10-04-2000, 11:44 PM
here in MS the temps are dropping a little now and yards aren't groiwing as much, is it time for some fertilizer for something or not?!? i don't know much about all that so i'm j/w if its time for anything....need a little better cash flow

MOW ED
10-05-2000, 07:35 AM
I'm not from your end of town but I'll give you a few of my thoughts if you don't mind.
Do your lawns normally go dormant this time of year? If so there isn't much you can do but enjoy the break. If not haw has the moisture been in your area? A little rain will get things growing if your grass isn't at the end of its season.
Fertilizing is specific to your location. If you have problem lawns then you probably need a soil test to really see what will make it come back and then begin planning for next season. A blanket application of fertilizer may help but you should know why and what to put on.

eggy
10-05-2000, 10:56 AM
I have to agree, it could be close to the end of the season, here in Indiana theyare forcasting cooler even cold temps this weekend, we are recieving a lot of rain today, this will help some but grass has slowed down, Focus maybe on leaf removel for added income.

Lazer
10-05-2000, 11:15 AM
Of course you fertilize now!

The tops of the grass are slowing their growth. The grass plant is storing carbohydrates in the root system.

Now is the ideal time to fertilize especially with higher potassium.

lawrence stone
10-05-2000, 11:19 AM
With cool season grasses if you fertilize with a high N product now you will be mowing later in the season and sooner next spring.

Plus the lawns will stay green all winter.

YOU need to do some reasearch on the needs of warm season turf.

Try: http://www.msu.edu/user/karcherd/turflinks/turflink.html

luckylawnboy
10-05-2000, 03:22 PM
There is 3 really important times that you need to be Fertilizing. Here in Indiana about the middle to end of may no sooner. If you put it down to early the plant will just use all the N up and make the grass blades grow to fast, no root growth. The Next time is around Sept 15 this will help boost the plant life and bring it back around from summer stress. Apply a fast release N. And the final time is when the plant just starts to go Dormant. Around here it is Nov 15 or later. This will give the plant food for the winter and since no leaf growth is happening the roots will take in all the nutrient possible..Apply a slow release. Make sure the ratio is a 4-2-1 like a 24-12-6 or 28-16-8. for all times

JC's Lawn Service

Lazer
10-05-2000, 03:36 PM
'Course you don't apply a lick of Phosphorus, Michigan soils don't need it and it doesn't leach out of the soil like N and K.

Why would you apply SLOW release just prior to dormancy?

luckylawnboy
10-06-2000, 09:28 AM
You want to apply a slow release because it will stick around for most of the winter, and supply the plant with nutrients till spring.

GroundKprs
10-06-2000, 12:09 PM
Lucky, you seem to be using guidelines for southern grasses. For Indiana lawns, Purdue recommendations call for quick release N in Nov, to be taken up and stored for spring. Slow release in late fall is like waiting 'til spring to apply.

Re: http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/ay22.htm

MOW ED
10-06-2000, 12:49 PM
Are you talking about 100% quick release?
Otherwise what % of SCU would you use at the most if any?

GroundKprs
10-06-2000, 10:25 PM
Yes, all quick release. Waste of money to use any WIN in late fall application. Cool season grasses actually store energy in roots for winter. This storage takes place after leaf growth ceases and before ground freezes. If ground doesn't freeze, underground growth will continue thru winter. If you have applied a 100% quick release, and ground freeze happens very early, the fertilizer is frozen in place until spring thaw, so it is not wasted.

Myself and a friend are experimenting with 3 fall apps: early Sept, mid-Oct and late Nov. Putting about 2.5# to 3# N on in fall. First two have some WIN, last is all WSN.

Lawnworks
10-07-2000, 06:56 PM
I am doing alot a fertilization in Georgia.

John DiMartino
10-07-2000, 07:32 PM
I fertilized on sept 16th ,man is the grass thick and strong!I can barley keep up with the growth,I had to double cut them this week in order to drop the height a notch,I even bagged the whole front entrance of my big account to keep clippings under control.That was on 5 day cycle too.I put down 20-4-10 60% slow release at .75 lb /1000.You would think i put down 2lb/1000 by the way its growing.Anyone else have this?Im in NY