PDA

View Full Version : Shrub Removal ?

Mowman
10-05-2000, 10:01 AM
How much would you guys charge to remove 7 Yew shrubs approx. 4' high? And what is the best way to get them out?
Do you dig out the trunk or would you use a stump grinder? Thanks for your input.
Mowman

lawrence stone
10-05-2000, 10:08 AM
A truck, a chain, and a old 22" big truck rim works for me.

Runner
10-05-2000, 10:31 AM
What's the truck rim for?

fordlawn
10-05-2000, 01:27 PM
My experience with removal of with the removal of yews has been a pain. I had three to remove at one location and hooked a chain up to my JD950 4wd tractor with a downhill pull and couldn't budge the suckers. I just cut them of flush at grade and left the stumps---no need to remove them as I built an at grade deck where they were located. They must have an extensive root system and are diffiicult to pull or dig out unless you have a backhoe. I would cut them and grind the stumps in your situation

TOSLC
10-05-2000, 01:53 PM
Last week I just removed 17 junipers (about 6 feet tall and 3 feet round), 5 crimson barb berry's (5 gallon bucket size), and 12 yews (also 5 gallon bucket size), the lady I removed them for wanted mums planted in their place. I dug around them with a spade in a circle about the drip line then used a 4x4 S-10 truck to easily pull them out. Once on the ground I took the spade and cut a few of the remaining roots.

Earlier in the season I removed some shrubs that were the size of a VW Bug. These I had to dig out around them and cut the roots with a chain saw. After that they also pulled out very easy.

You could cut them off at the ground, but it makes for a nicer job to remove the stumps in case you ever wanted to replant something else there.

I made about $40/hour for both of these jobs. But don't be mislead it's still hard work.

Stone wrote about a truck rim. This is to put next to the shrub and place your chain over the top of the rim. In theory it gives you more of an upward pull. I have never tried this but I've heard plenty of people swear by it.

Hope this helps!!!

[Edited by toslc on 10-05-2000 at 04:58 PM]

jrblawncare
10-05-2000, 02:34 PM
Any time I use the truck to pull out shrubs...50.00 an hour also have worked on a per shrub price..works out better than 50.00 most of the time.

Toddppm
10-05-2000, 08:10 PM
Cut em off then grind them out , turn them into nice mulch. They're not too bad to dig out but then you have all that extra mess. With the grinder just rake the mulch back in the bed.

Evan528
10-05-2000, 10:02 PM
most of the time when i am removing old shrubs it is to replace them with new modern landscaping so digging out the roots are a must. It probly one of the hardest things to do but it has to be done and i charge well for it.