PDA

View Full Version : customer compains $35.00 is killing her pocket book.

David Hartzog
10-05-2000, 01:52 PM
I did a yard clean up most work was in the shrubs pulling weeds,weedeating,spaying post and round up then laying straw down.(customer paid for straw)also trimmed plants in rear cut grass and spayed round up in back. I send the bill and charged my lowest possable rate 4 Hours $35.00 = $140.00
Now she is mad;Am i ripping her off? Or am i fare please comment so i know and show this as a print out to her.
Thank you
David Hartzog

River Hill
10-05-2000, 01:59 PM
David you are the one who is getting ripped off!

scottb
10-05-2000, 02:20 PM
Sounds like you were more than fair.I dont know how you could stand to take any less. If she wants to pay some one miminum wage she should try a junior high kid,who doesnt know any better.

Scraper
10-05-2000, 02:24 PM
Sounds as though SHE'S killing YOUR wallet!

AB Lawn Care
10-05-2000, 02:37 PM
She is just one of those clients that I would put in my black book.As soon as you have a full work load,kick her off your list and find someone who is not going to complain!

Lazer
10-05-2000, 03:05 PM
That's the going rate for hourly work.

Unless you dillie-dallied around, that is MORE than fair.

LazerZ101
10-05-2000, 03:25 PM
$35/hour? Man, how do you sleep at night? Just kidding....

The LEAST I've charged for clean-up is $50/hour. I currently have 3 cleanups to finish and we're charging $65/manhour in a not-so-rich area! You are charging MORE than a fair rate, definately under-rating yourself. Good luck.

Scott
H&H LawnCare

Lanelle
10-05-2000, 04:16 PM
That's a very reasonable price. Did you haul away any debris? If so, there should have been a haul charge for that service. Had you charged her by the jobs that you performed, rather than an hourly rate, it certainly would have come to even more money.

greenlawncare
10-05-2000, 04:22 PM
There are four types of clients:

(1) Ones who can afford the service and do so without a fuss.

(2) Ones who can afford the service, but make a fuss for whatever reason.

(3) Ones who CANNOT afford the service, but want it either because their neighbors get it, or they have the misconception that they are "above" it.

(4) Ones who CANNOT "afford" the service, but have to get it because they are physically unable to do it themselves.

What type is she? Probably number 2 or 3. Number 1's are great but hard to come by. If she's a number 3 then she's gonzo anyway, do what's the point in giving a break? If she's number 2, you just gotta make sure she feels like she's not getting ripped off, so a simple explanation of how your costs work will do. If she's number 4.......well that's up to you.....

curlawngreen
10-05-2000, 04:49 PM
Why didn't you charge her for the round-up also?

mattingly
10-05-2000, 05:29 PM
Did you ever at any time tell her what your going rate was per hour? Also you could have given her a rough estimate of time. AKA my going rate is 35.00 an hour and this may take me between 3-5 hours to complete. This should have either scared her away or kept her from bitchin' also you could have had something written out and have her initial. then everyone wins.

HOMER
10-05-2000, 06:16 PM
I think you should ask her to check out the local dealerships and compare labor rates! It's been several years since they charged $35.00 an hour and they have fans blowing on them, music playing, etc..................

I quit telling my customers what I want per hour, I give them a total price, try to achieve my targeted hours, and smile if I made it, sulk if I didn't. Do enough and you'll get your times down pat. Let them figure what they paid you per hour once you've made it to the bank.

Homer

Mitchell
10-05-2000, 07:14 PM
That is the voice of experience talking!!! Good Advive. $35 an hour is a fair rate.

eslawns
10-05-2000, 08:14 PM
It's hard to sell grunt work for what we charge to run expensive machinery, that's why I don't usually do it. If you're happy with $35/hr, she should be grateful to you. It's also hard to estimate how long these things will take. A B Lawn Care nailed it. When you don't need this lawn, give her your notice.

Barkleymut
10-05-2000, 08:23 PM
David, since your starting out the $35/hour is fair. BUT she should still have to pay a price for the materials used. I would charge $10/gallon of roundup sprayed + any pre=emergents would be billed at approx. 4x the purchase price. You will learn how to bill per item shortly to avoid hassles such as these. I would guess that my total bill for this customer would be at least $250-275 plus Roundup. Good Luck.

David Hartzog
10-05-2000, 10:03 PM
thank you all. I know i was far and just needed some backing up i'll show her this as a print out so she'll be able to understand better. Thank you again

davesgs75
10-05-2000, 10:09 PM
David

i looked on your profile and saw you were in alabama. most of my work is in and around huntsville. in this area $35.00 per hour is more than fair. i personally know guys who will not unload thier equipment for anything under $50.00. hope it all wokrs out.

jaclawn
10-06-2000, 07:20 AM
>>>I send the bill and charged my lowest possable rate 4 Hours $35.00 = $140.00<<<

Did you actually work on site for 4 hours, or is that just your minimum time slot?

David Hartzog
10-06-2000, 09:12 AM
I worked the 4 hours and didn't charge for chemicals.

southside
10-06-2000, 09:21 AM
I NEVER justify my prices to a customer. I give a fixed price only. If they complain I tell them to go out and buy
$70k worth of equipment and do it themselves.

Karl