PDA

View Full Version : How did you guys Start Out?

Hometown Lawn Care
08-13-2003, 10:15 PM
did you guys start off with the most expensive eqipment you could get? or did you start off with Homeowners stuff and build your way up, please tell me your story :)

JR Lawns
08-14-2003, 12:34 PM
I am just starting out.. I use a craftsman mower, Yard Machines edger, and snapper trimmer.. Looker to get a gas blower soon. Hopefully if I can get some more customers soon I will start to upgrade my equipment.

FosterGroundsMaint
08-15-2003, 01:25 AM
This is my first season in business, but i think its going okay.
I began the season with a 22" Lawnboy push mower and a Homelite String Trimmer. I recently picked up a used Ransomes W/B for $500 and a trailer for $60. I'm trying to get moer into landscaping, though.

J&R
08-15-2003, 02:41 AM
I started with a snapper 30" rider , Lawnboy push, can't remember what trimmer i had. that was 20 years ago. Now to much stuff.

CSRA Landscaping
08-16-2003, 01:29 AM
ZE-RO knowledge of turf or ornamentals. Had a JD 318 that was given to me, as well as a borrowed B&S push mower, borrowed trailer, borrowed truck, homelite weedeater, poulan hedgetrimmers & blower, various hand tools givien to me ... actually the hedge trimmers and blower came about a month after I started ... the blower locked up on me (duh) and I managed to sell the hedgetrimmers for $60! :D

CoachLinz
08-17-2003, 11:10 PM
I started this year. I had set aside a certain amount as a start-up budget and went from there. I bought a used 48" Ransomes Bobcat walkbehind, Echo trimmer, Echo backpack blower, pickup truck, and ramps. I already had a 21" mower, but the only I need that on right now is my own back yard anyway. Everything fits easily in the bed of the truck.

Mower - $1000
Truck - $2100 + $800 in repairs to pass state inspection
Trimmer and Blower - total $550 but I don't have to pay for those until next June as I bought them at Home Depot on a no interest/no payments until June 2004 deal. Also, got various shovels, rakes, gas cans, etc on that same deal.

My intended start-up budget was $4000 so I came pretty close.

rkbrown
08-18-2003, 10:59 AM
I started part time last year with 2 Toro Proline 21's that I bought used off a local guy who changes out his trim mowers every 2 years. Bought a Stihl FS-80 trimmer and an Echo PB-602 backpack blower. Ran everything out of the bed of my truck.

I am full time this year and have added a slightly used (200 hours at the start of the season) Exmark Viking 32"and a 6.5 x 12 trailer with 4' mesh sides.

Knowledge-wise, I have added my irrigation license and pesticide license.

Lombardi
08-18-2003, 03:29 PM
I started out with the best that I could afford. If you try to get by with cheap/old equipment you will just be causing yourself delays and downtime trying to fix the machines. Commercial grade is expensive, but there is a good reason for it.

ffemt1271
08-19-2003, 02:14 PM
this is my first year i started out with a new 48" metro hp, shindaiwa trimmer, blower, edger, 16' trailer. already had a 2003 dodge 3/4 ton diesel, went yesterday and bought a 2003 60" lazer z

Envision
08-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Started out with the following:

1st year:

21" push mower
Ryobi Trimmer
Hedge Trimmers, manual not electric
Broom

2nd year:

Used Exmark Viking 48" for $1300
Used 6x10 trailer
New 21" mower, replaced 1st year mower after it was stolen
New Stihl br340 blower
New Stihl FS85 Trimmer
New Stihl Edger

Start out with what you can, once you get some more money gradually work your way up and you be fine. You will start to acquire so much stuff you have your garage filled and be looking for a new place to store everything!

I work full-time and mow on the side, plan on making the plunge next year to get out of the corporate red tape.

Keep reading, the people on this site are a great resource and are more than willing to help out newbies.

Envision
08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
As Lombardi said, buy the best you can now so you won't be replacing the crap you initially bought.