PDA

View Full Version : Surprising advice from lawncare professional- Chemlawn

XH2Oskier
08-14-2003, 12:59 AM
After reading up on fertilizers on this forum, I had almost begun to think every private lawncare professional in the country didn't think much of TruGreen/Chemlawn, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I made several failed attempts to hire a company to fix the grading mistakes the city made when they installed my sidewalk, but I finally seem to have come across someone who will give me a straight answer (and do so in perfect English).

I preferred to stick to organic fertilizers, but realize the lawn has gotten so bad under the "care" of the previous "professional," that chemical fertilizers would probably be needed to get the lawn under control. Still, I didn't want to have to mow my grass every three days. The guy I hired says he can not only fix the washed-out ruts in my lawn, but he will guarantee his work (unlike the last guy). When I asked about fertilizing, he told me I was better off hiring Chemlawn, as they could get the lawn turned around much quicker than he could.

Randy J
08-14-2003, 08:59 PM
Regarding your user id, do you not water ski anymore? I used to ski quite a bit. Had a 1990 Prostar 190, yellow/platinum - beautiful boat. My wife had back problems though, and we weren't using it much so I sold it. Biggest mistake I ever made - boy do I miss that boat, and skiing!

Randy

Lawn Tek
08-14-2003, 09:03 PM
2 years from now ,let us know how great it looks .

KerryB
08-14-2003, 10:58 PM
One of two things can come from that . You will get ghosted or have fun mowing 3 times a week.

XH2Oskier
08-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Several years ago when I started posting on message boards, I used this name because my work forced me to give up skiing. Fortunately, I'm back at it, but for the sake of continuity, I kept the name on all the boards I post on (including www.malibuboatowners.com). I don't know what "ghosting" means, but I will be using the same company my neighbor has used for the past five years and his lawn always looks spectacular.....although I'd rather spend my time skiing than mowing :(

chefdrp
08-18-2003, 02:16 AM
I love to ski. Do it 3 times a week at like 6 am when the water is flat and just like glass. ski off a skinautique

XH2Oskier
08-18-2003, 02:22 AM
I've got a Sport Nautique. Check out www.nautiqueworld.com . It's a new site, but I think it'll end up being the equivalent of www.malibuboatowners.com Nautique owners.

ElephantNest
08-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Good fertilzer does not make grass grow faster/taller. The GOOD stuff is supposed to make grass grow thicker/wider blades and greener. Thickness is what will choke out weeds. If all your fertilizer does is make you mow more, you need to get better fertilizer.

P.S. Been water skiing all of my life, great fun.
18' AstroGlass Cheater SX BlackMax 150/V6. Better hold on!

~Nest

Randy J
08-18-2003, 09:37 AM
I used to get to the lake around 6am to get good skiing in. In Minnesota, we had a couple of lakes that were primarily only ski boats on. It was great because the boats would line up and take turns, rather than everyone going in a circle around the lake creating big waves. When I moved to Texas, lakes were few and far between, so it was every boater for themselves. Since I've been out of it, it looks like wakeboarding has become the next biggest thing. I have to believe those boats make it awful tough on the other skiers, since the whole purpose is to throw a monster wake. I use to slalom ski when the water was glass, barefoot when the water was just a little choppy, and then kneeboard when I needed a break from the other 2. Of course I would always head out to open water areas for the kneeboarding. Sure do miss it.

Randy

XH2Oskier
08-18-2003, 11:21 AM
I goofed on that Nautique link and the admins don't let you change a post after 10 minutes, so try this one instead- www.planetnautique.com

Wakeboarding has taken off, but wakesurfing is the next big trend and their wakes make wakeboarding wakes look like slalom wakes by comparison :blob3:

I usually slalom until my arms are ready to fall off, then I hop on the wakeboard for a few more sets. I'd rather not give away the location of my spot, but it's climate not withstanding, it's probably one of the most ideal locations in the world as far as regular conditions and the attitude and makeup of the other boaters on the water. The water never gets rough, the wakes dissapate fast and fishermen are in the minority and they know it.

Back to the grass, I will keep an eye on the thickness of my blades as the new fertilizer is laid down and report back the results.

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-20-2003, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure why using organic fertilizers wouldn't work for you. When I used corn GLUTEN meal on my lawn, it looked like it was on freakin' steroids!! It was literally shocking to see such green and fast growth. Now I use ordinary corn meal and get great results.

I'm convinced you can have lawn-of-the-month quality with much less hassle using organic fertilizer.

Rustic Goat
08-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by XH2Oskier I will be using the same company my neighbor has used for the past five years and his lawn always looks spectacular

Does that mean with Chemlawn or not?

Is it possible that he recommended Chemlawn because he doesn't do fertilizer applications, or has some agreement with them? Just wondering why an LCO would sidestep a profitable part of the business.

XH2Oskier
08-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Actually he does do fertilizer applications, but admitted that Chemlawn could get the lawn turned around far quicker than he could. Once the lawn is back under control, he said he would be willing to do organic applications to keep it that way. My neighbor uses Lawn Doctor, which seems to have a similar setup as Chemlawn in our area.

mower_babe
08-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Dchall_San_Antonio
I'm not sure why using organic fertilizers wouldn't work for you. When I used corn GLUTEN meal on my lawn, it looked like it was on freakin' steroids!! It was literally shocking to see such green and fast growth. Now I use ordinary corn meal and get great results.

I'm convinced you can have lawn-of-the-month quality with much less hassle using organic fertilizer.

hey, not to sound like an -----, which i am sure that i do, but you certainly do not mean ordinary cooking corn meal do you?

ElephantNest
08-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Yup, regular ole corn meal, 20lbs. per 1000Sqft

mower_babe
08-27-2003, 06:26 PM
did they just edit the word.... i d i o t ?

ANYWAY---------have you used this organic method alot, elephant?

ElephantNest
08-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Actually, not yet. Just learned the proper amounts and I have a customer very interested. If she gives the the go-ahead, I'll make sure to post. Paul James( Gardening By The Yard) swears by it.

~Nest

mower_babe
08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
please keep us posted!