PDA

View Full Version : Yard browning out

stevieraysod
08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Haven't mowed in three weeks and the grass is turning brown. I've watered what would amount to about 1 hour per week. Any suggestions for a quick "green up" (iron, etc?) or just wait and pray for rain.

hamsey
08-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Lawns usually need about 1 inch of water per week. You would have to figure out the precipitation rate that the hose is putting out and base watering on that rate.

GLAN
08-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't know any lawn that does well with water only once a week

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-18-2003, 03:29 AM
My lawn (St Augustine in San Antonio, TX) does well with water every 10 days or so. My next door neighbor's lawn does well on our scarce rainwater alone. She hasn't watered in 4 years.

When you say, "what amounts to 1 hour per week," I'm assuming you water multiple times per week. I suggest you stop that. Multiple brief waterings promotes shallow roots that require frequent watering. If you'll start to water less often, letting the grass tell you when it needs water, you can stretch out your watering so that you can actually go on vacation and not worry.

Try watering for one hour at a time and see how long you can go before the grass wilts in the late afternoon. Once it wilts, don't water it yet. Check it out again in the early morning. If the dew perks it up, then water the next day. It the dew does not perk it up, then water right away. And water for an hour all at once.