PDA

View Full Version : Orange spots?

Langdon
08-14-2003, 06:20 PM
My front lawn was planted in May. Today I noticed that it had become discolored in some spots. On closer inspection there are bright orange spots growing on the blades with some slight white discolorization underneath. It has not yet spread across my entire lawn but the spots are present in various areas.
It only seems to have effected the new grass because my back lawn does not have this growth on it. The back lawn is a few years older though and a blend of different bluegrasses. The front lawn was planted in May and is mostly a dwarf rye grass.

Is this something I should be worried about? I assume the heavy rains we have gotten in the Midwest (chicago area) coupled with the lower temperatures may have contributed to this but since I have been unable to diagnose what this is and I have found no photos of it online I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Bob Minney
08-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Sounds like rust-does this look like it

Langdon
08-15-2003, 03:57 AM
Yes, I think it is. The color on my monitor might be a little off but if was a little brigher orange it would look like what I have. It seems to be ON the grass rather than part of the blade so the orange spots seem to rise above the level of the grass itself.

So what made this come on my new grass and how can I treat it (if it is needed)

Thank you

Bob Minney
08-15-2003, 08:22 PM
its a scanned photo so not best quality

Proper ID of problem is necessary before treating, contact your local extension office or take sample of turf to local nursery for ID help.

Rust causes
Stress caused by drought, shade and low fertility.
being a new lawn without an established root system it could have been easily stressed.

Control
Reduce shade
water deep and infrequently-water early am to reduce dew period. Leaf wetness is critical to disease development
Regular and proper mowing, bag and remove clipping
Maintain proper nutrient levels- get a soil test and go from there.

If a fungicide is needed check with local extension office for recommendations

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Rust and all other fungus diseases can be stopped, reversed, prevented, and otherwise controlled with ground corn meal. Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet of turf. You can get it cheap at a feed store for about $6 for 50 pounds.

The research on this came from Texas A&M University at Stephenville. Organic gardeners have been using it all over with excellent results on roses, grasses, hostas, tomatoes, peppers, and other plants susceptible to fungal disease.

Since corn meal is also a fertilizer at those rates, you might think about switching to organic turf maintenance with this excuse.

Langdon
08-20-2003, 05:32 PM
So if it is rust how would I adjust the watering of the lawn to discourage the spreading of the fungus.

Also I am not sure I understand how corn meal would work for this. It in essence would promote good fungal growth but how would it discourage the growth of the rust as it is also a fungus.