PDA

View Full Version : walk behind suggestions?

shm
08-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey all...I just purchased a used Troy Bilt wide cut mower 33inch deck...i got a great deal on it- under $900...it retails for about 1400..anyway..i figured I'd give it a shot....I haven't been happy with the cut...and the blades are sharp....I have an acre of lawn that I mow...and it seems that the pick-up or "Vacuum action" on this mower isn't very good...anyone else use this mower before?.....also If I decide to get rid of it...what would anyone suggest for buying a commercialwalk behind- pref. would be a 36-48 inch deck tops...under 2500...suggestions welcome....i mostly mulch when i mow so i am looking for something that mulches and "stripes" the lawn well and of course gets a "clean" cut

please help

redbull
08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
finding a quality (Toro,ExMark) new WB in the size you are wanting for under $2500 will be tough. Unless you go to a FIXED deck unit

mathproshs
09-16-2003, 11:39 AM
SHM

I too have this mower. What in particular is making you unhappy about the cut??? I use this mower on several lawns and get a great cut.

Some things....I mow at about 31/2 inches and finds that this gives me the best cut overall although I have gone higher and lower on it depending on the lawn.

Let me know.

Stelio

shm
09-16-2003, 11:47 AM
too be honest..not sure what height i have cut at since the scale is a/b/c/d/e/f...i have noticed that it cuts well when the deck is low...but as soon as you raise the deck...the lift or vacuum action is very poor...i have gone over leaves that just don't get cut!....it's a decent mchine but i feel that my old snapper 21 left a nicer cut

let me know what you think...any suggestions?

ElephantNest
09-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Try some high lift blades. Maybe a combo of high lifts and a mulching kit, to create more suction.

If you do decide to go with a new WB, look into the exmark, you'll love them.

~Nest

shm
09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
might try meg- mos with the mower if they fir.....if not i am going to buy an exmark 36 or 48 inch metro

rdsmith3
09-16-2003, 05:04 PM
If you're willing to take a gamble, try looking on eBay.

I got a Toro 44" floating deck walk behind w/ T bar for $1,000 including an extra set of blades and a full tank of gas (hey, that's almost worth $10 with the price of gas these days).

I have been happy with it so far.

Bob

dvmcmrhp52
09-19-2003, 05:42 PM
exmark metro fixed deck (which if it is for your own lawn it doesn't need to change heights much) can be had for
2000.00 to 2400.00 depending on dealer and pistol grip versus ecs controls.(belt drive,Not a hydro.)