PDA

View Full Version : Political site?

Indiana
10-06-2000, 10:34 AM
I am a little confused with this site sometimes.

I thought this was a commercial site for property managers. Lately there have been more debates, arguements, and discussions about politics than other things.

I like the information, discussion, and help in the commercial side of the business. I have been taking care of property commercially for about 9 years. Sometimes I run across something I don't have any experience with and need someone's advice on it. I think we all do.

Lately, it's been just another broadcast of CNN.

lawrence stone
10-06-2000, 10:54 AM
Actually it's more like the Fox News Network=

Fair and balanced.

turfquip
10-06-2000, 10:58 AM
I don't think it's time for Chuck to start banning, threatening, etc. That would create a difficult enforcement issue and could cause disention among members. Its hard to keep politics off our minds during an election year.

What this says most to me is that Chuck may be missing another opportunity to capitalize on the desire of folks to talk about this stuff. Maybe it's time for a <U>politics of lawn care</U> section at LawnSite? A place where we can spout off on whatever topic we like, current events, scandalous stuff...whatever. I think that would be fun.

We need <U>fresh faces</U> as moderators as well. Let's locate and appoint John Retro as the moderator.

AB Lawn Care
10-06-2000, 11:09 AM
I agree!If people have to talk about off topic things...fine,but I would like to see an other fourm for it!That way people don't have to get angry when people post off topic matters,just post them in a OPEN TALK forum.

LoneStarLawn
10-06-2000, 03:20 PM
Yeah it may seem off topic but politics play a huge role in small business...therefore discussion on it is insiteful to many of us. I think I have seen only one post besides this one on politics this year.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 10-06-2000 at 06:24 PM]

pace lawn care
10-06-2000, 05:01 PM
Don't see all the fuss about off-topics, Just don't read them, nobody makes you.

Runner
10-06-2000, 08:38 PM
Thanks, Gary. I agree. It's just that time again. Like 4th of July had conversation, Labor day weekend, Halloween is coming, and there will be convo about that,(I just had an experience) and quite frankly, I sort of look forward in a friendly way, to hear about Thanksgiving from our fellow peers, let alone Christmas.

cos
10-06-2000, 11:03 PM
I agree with pace. If my life was all lawn and landscape I would have jumped off that bridge a long time ago. Sorry bud, but if you come here to talk about just lawn and landscape then don't click on the politic talk. To each his own, but sometimes alot of us like to talk about alot more than the average cutting grass mumbo jumbo. And if you don't like to laugh at other people's experiences than don't click on that either, cause that won't get you any where either.

Sorry, I am not being mean spirited, but we all have a life away from just cuttin' grass.

geogunn
10-06-2000, 11:45 PM
it seems the point in this thread so far is that there has been a bunch of postings not related to "LAWN CARE" THE "GREEN INDUSTRY" or whatever.

so what. if you don't see currently posted topics that you are intersted in, try the search feature. there is a ton of information available on hundreds of topics.

it is unreasonable (IMHO) that as much as the popular members of this forum interact with each other that "off topic" posts would not appear.

the regular participants can only be expected to discuss blade sharpening, best ZTR, bad customers, who uses "X" trimmer so many times, until interest is lost in visiting the site.

this doesn't mean for a second that I'm proposing a general discussion form. WHAT I'M PROPOSING IS THAT IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SUBJECT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TRY THE SEARCH FEATURE!

IF YOU DON'T FIND IT IN AN ACTIVE OR ARCHIVED DISCUSSION THEN POST THE TOPIC AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

GEESH! GIVE US REGULARS A BREAK!

GEO

Keith
10-07-2000, 12:19 AM
The thing that really pisses me off about the political threads on any board, not just this one, is that eventually someone resorts to bashing others. Calling users morons if they vote one way or another. That folks, ain't right. A little heated discussion isn't gonna bother anybody. But calling one group names doesn't make you seem too bright either.

osc
10-07-2000, 06:11 PM
Couldn't help but notice the "moron" political thread is no where to be found. Hope my reply did not offend anyone. I've noticed an overwhelming number of republicans here.

chrisbolte
10-07-2000, 08:15 PM
This is a lawn care site but other things affect us also. Politics greatly affect most of us on this site becuse many of us are small business and politics affect us seriously. If you dont want to talk about politics on this site the you shouldnt be talking about customers. Believe customers and politics both control us.

turfquip
10-07-2000, 09:08 PM
FYI, lots of threads suddenly disappear. It's important to have a sanitized, non threatening environment so we feel comfortable telling others about ourselves.

The Lawn Genie
10-07-2000, 11:07 PM
Politics fit into any business, not just small business. It has a direct affect on our industry, so why shouldn't it be discussed in a Commercial Lawn Care forum? Like others have said, if you don't like talking about politics, don't click on the topic.

Charles
10-08-2000, 11:51 AM
The moron post was deleted because the poster called alot of members a moron. Which is a personal attack. Not an inteligent part of a political or any other type of discussion

TGCummings
10-08-2000, 01:05 PM
Whew! I thought it was my 20-minute dissertation that killed that thread... ;)

-TGC

turfquip
10-08-2000, 01:51 PM
Charles:

Just curious, did the poster name you personally or was it a generalization that you did not agree with?

I do recall your follow up on that thread declaring that the post should be deleted. Did you end up pleading your case to Eric or Chuck personally with an email?

I'm just interested in the sequence of events that's all.

Charles
10-08-2000, 02:34 PM
No I didn't plead my case lol. No I didn't email Eric. The powers that be just read the post and agreed that was an inderect way of name calling and it has no place on this forum. Just like saying that anyone on this forum is an idiot who owns a lazer. We all know that alot of us own lazer. Calling people a moron is very insulting and dose not help in any discussion except to people mad

Keith
10-08-2000, 04:25 PM
The fact that someone who is probably not even 18 years old, jumps in and starts a thread You are a moron if... referring to politics, will naturally tend to get people fuming. I didn't originally post to the thread because I was pretty sure it would get deleted anyway.

cos
10-08-2000, 07:46 PM
I red that post and didn't derive any kind of personal attack at all from it. All it said is you got to be a moron to vote for Gore, and was only an opinion. Kinda like someone saying you gotta be a moron to buy a Ford. Well to be honest, that wouldn't affend me, cause there are many people that are driving Fords (including me) and there are going to be many people voting for Gore (unfortunately). Lets not beat a dead horse and move on from this subject and take it for face value (just an opinion). I agree that if you vote for Gore than that is just unfortunate and I will never feel that you are bad person for it, just misled.LOL. Let me tell you again, Gore will say just about anything to get elected. It has been proven that he lied 3 times during the debates and that is not the person I want in office. But then again, I am only 1 person and I get 1 vote, so I alone can't send him packing back to Tenessee.

The Lawn Genie
10-09-2000, 05:52 PM
COS-

For the sake of us who are in Tennessee, let's not be in any rush to send him back to TN.! LOL

Indiana
10-09-2000, 07:41 PM
I have been thinking of what everbody has said and I now see that you guys are right about politics and our line of business. I was having a really bad day and started this thread out of frustration towards other things.

I just wanted to post a note to say 'sorry' about the attitude. You guys are right all business and no play makes a pretty boring life. Someone recently told me;

You work so you can live, you shouldn't live to work.

I have caught myself living to work too many times this year. Gotta' get a hobby or something.

Eric ELM
10-09-2000, 07:47 PM
Just hang around LawnSite and we will loosen you up. :) Everyone has his bad day, so this is why members shouldn't jump on someone about a post and just learn to relax a bit. It took me a while, but I'm learning.

Charles
10-09-2000, 09:06 PM
George Bush couldn't find his way back to texas without his wife giving him directions :). There is an article in the paper today saying alot of republicans like me are on the fence about whether to support george W. Whether he has the brain power or experience to do the job. Al has least been a senator, on the armed services committee and vice prez etc over a booming economy for the past 8 years. Even though he make trivial error when trying to make a point. I saw where one person said if we put both of them together we would have a president. Its true. Its true. And Al is a vietnam Vet. While George served in the air national guard in case someone bombed texas lol. I just dont know and will make up my mind as the election gets closer

Eric ELM
10-09-2000, 09:21 PM
I don't normally talk about politics, but to tell you the truth, I think we need new candidates. I served in the Army, I'm all for being armed as long as your licensed to have guns (which I am), I was a President of a Computer Group, a CB Group, and a 4X4 Club and I like Lawn Dudes, so is it to late for me to run for President. :D

cos
10-09-2000, 09:30 PM
You got my vote Eric Elm.

ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM ELM

LETS HEAR IT FOR ERIC ELM---------------> Hip Hip Horray

HIP HIP HORRAY

HIP HIP HORRAY