PDA

View Full Version : Tax Deductions

Expert Lawns
08-19-2003, 01:14 PM
How do you guys keep track of your mileage and gas? My accountant told me I can't use my credit card receipts for my gas write offs. Do I have to go inside and pay everytime I gas up? What a PITA. Also, do you just keep track of your mileage by writing it down each week?

Lombardi
08-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Are you sure the accountant didn't say credit card "statement" instead of "receipts"? A receipt is a receipt whether it is cash or credit. Do you use your truck strictly for business? If so, you only have to record the mileage at the first and last of your fiscal year. If you are in this part time then you will have to keep a daily log for business mileage. Also, at the end of the year you can deduct either the mileage allowance or the fuel/maintenance expense, which ever is greater.

Moguy
08-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Why not apply for a gas card? Most gas companies offer them and even can send you monthly reports on amounts and mileage.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-19-2003, 05:34 PM
i get a recipt for all gas at the pump then wright on them which truck it is 4 or if it is mowers -equip.

promower
08-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Set up an account with your gas station you use most. This made things a little easier for me, just a thought

Grasshog
08-26-2003, 11:27 AM
I use credit cards receipt for my records. Works great.
American Express is a great one for this.

wriken
08-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by PJ Binder
i get a recipt for all gas at the pump then wright on them which truck it is 4 or if it is mowers -equip.

thats what I do, either put 02, or 92 for year of truck. I just applied for a company credit card a few days ago, see what happens.

Darryl G
09-12-2003, 02:31 AM
Same here. Receipts and write either 85 chevy, 2003 chevy or mower/blower gas. I enter all my expenses into Quick Books from my credit card statement but keep the receipts on file.

My trucks are full time business vehicles so I don't track my mileage except for annually like Lombardi said. If it's mixed business and personal use I believe you have to keep a mileage log.

jbell113
07-21-2004, 10:57 PM
What if you have signs on your vehicle and you do this part time can u write off all your mileage as advertisement

precisioncut
07-22-2004, 12:18 AM
It is a PITA but my truck I use for business and personal. I right down all the miles before and after and a use deemed business. If you use your truck for more personal use than business, keep track of your business miles, and if more business than personal, keep track of your personal miles. I keep all reciepts for all gas. Keep track in Quickbooks and print out when they need them.