PDA

View Full Version : What do you think happened to our lawn?

AngryFish
08-19-2003, 10:05 PM
What do you think happened to our lawn? The yellow streaks that you see in the pictures came on in a matter of a couple of days.

1. Fertilizer burn. Fertilizer was applied last week.
- or -
2. Not enough water. Temperature was in the mid to upper 90s all
last week. Grass was only watered every other day for 10-15 minutes.
- or -
3. Other. Something else.

The pictures are at http://members.lycos.co.uk/sqrlspam/lawn.html

The lawn next door (marked by the other set of brick steps) has no yellow patches nor streaks at all.

Thank you for looking! Email me at g0n8kyu02@TAKETHISPARTOUTsneakemail.com!

Grassmechanic
08-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Certainly looks like a chemical burn, similiar to a fertilizer burn. What kind of fertilizer was put on? Was the grass under drought stress? Did the fert. utilize muriate of potash for it's potassium source?

Grassmechanic
08-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Ooops. Re-read your post. Mid to upper 90's is too hot to fertilize cool season grasses

rkk95
08-21-2003, 10:09 PM
grass mech. if mid 90's is too hot to fert cool season grass, did you take last summer off, or did you use slow release fertilizer?

Grassmechanic
08-21-2003, 10:32 PM
mid 90's is too hot to fert cool season grass. Only a fool would fertilize at those temps. You're asking for trouble. The grass is under enough stress from the heat without forcing it to feed. Slow release is all I ever use. And I never fertilize when temp is above 85 and no more than 1/2 # N at a time.

rkk95
08-22-2003, 01:32 PM
I worked all last summer in 90-95 degree days and didn't have a problem, we couldn't take any time off or we would never finish our work by the end of the year. I didn't have many complaints, and I still made the money, I think that the fool is the one that skips the summer application and looses all of that money.

GLAN
08-22-2003, 04:14 PM
That does actualy appear to be a chemical burn.

What type of spreader did you use? Drop type?

What exposure is that side of the building.

10 - 15 minutes water even everyday in 90 degree heat is not enough.

30+ minutes every other day. Add a day to the cycle in high heat.

Also looked like you had foot prints there as well that looked dead.

I am going to ask if you can tell us more? What was applied last? how? what activity was there in the past 2 weeks?

Grassmechanic
08-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rkk95
I worked all last summer in 90-95 degree days and didn't have a problem, we couldn't take any time off or we would never finish our work by the end of the year. I didn't have many complaints, and I still made the money, I think that the fool is the one that skips the summer application and looses all of that money. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then. Count your blessings you didn't smoke more lawns. Not many complaints? I NEVER have complaints. They are not acceptable. Last summer, a local lco called me to look at a lawn of his. It was cooked from fertilizing in the heat. I now have his customer, but he had to resod 8,500 sf. And who said that I skip any apps?