PDA

View Full Version : Brown Patch?

hamsey
08-19-2003, 11:40 PM
I came back from vacation and saw these spots on the lawn.
http://home.comcast.net/~riga/BP_1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~riga/BP_2.jpg
Went to the nearest Lesco dealer and was told that it is brown patch and bought some fungicide to treat it. A week has gone by and it is spreading. Lawn is 1 yr. Old, Full sun, I was watering it every other day switched to every 3 days for 1 hour per day. I have an irrigation system and the precipitation rate is .38in per hour. I fertilize thru the irrigation system. I was using Lesco 18-3-7 but, switched to GreenPro 18-0-3. It started when I switched? I live in Connecticut and we have been getting lots of rain the irrigation system does not go on very much.
Lawn is 45% Improved K.Bluegrass, 25% Turf type perennial Rye grass, 15% Creeping red fescue and 15% crewing fescue.
I was told that I have a thatch buildup and I will be aerating in mid Sept.
I was fert. often in the spring because of the heavy rains I thought it was washing away?? Do you think it is brown patch? I do not see any insects. If it is brown patch what should I use to treat it? How do I treat it?
I used Lesco granular turf fungicide but it is getting worst.
Thanks in advance.
Norm

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-20-2003, 04:08 AM
We'll see how the community takes to this reply...

I successfully use ordinary corn meal against all turf fungal disease in my personal lawn. I'm not sure how you pros can get away with applying something labeled "ANIMAL FEED" on a lawn.

Corn meal works by bringing in another disease. This new disease works against the first disease by attacking the cell walls. When the cell walls collapse, the turf disease dies out. The process takes 3 weeks but seems to work against all turf diseases. The application rate is 20 pounds of corn meal per 1,000 square feet.

Grassmechanic
08-20-2003, 08:46 AM
What fungicide did Lesco tell you to use? It looks to me to be dollar spot. Brown patch is larger, usually irregular patches 1' - 2' in size. Also, with BP, you'll notice a purplish "smoke ring" around the edges. For longer control, I'd use Banner or Bayleton. For shorter control I'd use Daconil.

tuffturf
08-20-2003, 10:27 AM
I live in the Cleveland, OH area and I am getting yellow, almost gold, spots on my lawn. It is in several areas right now but two years ago, the whole lawn turned this color. It's not killing the grass but you can brush the yellow spots and it will kick up a yellow dust. You can see it on your shoes after walking in the lawn. It goes away after 2-3 weeks. I have no idea what it is but the whole neighborhood gets it. My lawn is 5 years old. We didn't get it last year but we were in a drought situation. Maybe it's due to excessive water.

hamsey
08-20-2003, 11:48 AM
I used Lesco Granular Turf Fungicide. Was told to do a spot treatment. I did the spot treatment (Tuesday August 12) early evening and did a light watering the next morning (10 min. a zone). Cut the grass last night and noticed that it is spreading. Treated the whole lawn with the remaining Fungicide. I want to get it under control before it gets worst. Stopped fert. thru irrigation system and cut back on watering to every 4 days. Will cut grass @ 3 1/2" instead of 3". Anything else I can do?
Thank You.
Norm

Grassmechanic
08-21-2003, 10:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Lesco Granular Turf fungicide. What is the active ingredient? Also, I would cease all watering and fertilizing for now. Water only when you notice drought stress to lawn. Do you have a heavy thatch layer in your lawn? Do you aerate the lawn?

hamsey
08-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes I do have a thatch layer and I am going to aerate in beginning of Sept. I was told not to dethatch because it is a new lawn. The active ingredent is Bayleton®. I was told by lesco to water everyday to activate the fungicide. (I had stopped watering) I will be mowing @ 3 1/2". Thinking about spraying to get in under control once 10 days have gone by.
Norm

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I would try corn meal on the yellow dust, too. It takes about 3 weeks before you see the grass returning to normal. If you put it on before you get the fungus, say every 90 days if your grass is fungus prone, you should be okay all season.

Grassmechanic
08-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by hamsey
Yes I do have a thatch layer and I am going to aerate in beginning of Sept. I was told not to dethatch because it is a new lawn. The active ingredent is Bayleton®. I was told by lesco to water everyday to activate the fungicide. (I had stopped watering) I will be mowing @ 3 1/2". Thinking about spraying to get in under control once 10 days have gone by.
Norm Okay, sounds like your following the correct procedure. In the future, try a sprayable fungicide. You want to reduce the amount of watering if you have a BP. I never could understand why a fungicide would have to repeatedly be watered in order to make it work. Seems to me that it defeats the purpose somewhat. Anyways, you should see results from Bayleton in a couple days - it's one of the better ones for BP. Also, good idea to reduce the thatch layer, either through dethatching/aerating or both. Good luck!

GLAN
08-21-2003, 09:28 PM
If you have a thach layer the Bayleton granular will not penetrate to the roots where it can be taken up into the plant.

If that's the case a sprayable is needed where contact will only work.

Bayleton granular takes longer to become effective. Due to it has to be released from carrier, travel in the soil, then taken up by the grass plants. Watering the Bayleton everyday was correct, but only once a day.

Don't wait to aerate. You catch a few days where temps are not high 80's do it. We aerated this week through mid Wednesday morning. No ill effects. In fact in just a couple days we notice the spots disapearing.

hamsey
08-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Thank You all! I will aerate in next couple of days and spray on a fungicide once my spray equipment comes in (JD 15 gallon spray kit).
Norm