tried one thing and dident work competing with the other lco s
wondering if any one can help me out with there ideas
im in oz so no competion to most posters here :dizzy:

attached on i tried remember we only mow every two weeks to three over here
warren

Ozi_Brisbane
08-20-2003, 04:03 AM
Hi surfire!

I'm in bayside Brisbane. I don't really care about competition. I just do what I do very well, and that's the best differentiator and will bring in the word of mouth referrals. Or so I believe. I'm still in the start up phase so am testing all kinds of theories :D .

The image you have attached, is that the ad you are thinking of putting in the local paper? I heard that this kind of ad does work. But I presume that you have conditions on this cut price mowing offer? Like, provide us with x number of referrals who become regulars and we do your lawn for y amount.

I think that otherwise even if you just mow ever 2- 3 weeks you will only charge around $10 - $15 per mow. That's very low. Be sure you put in that it is conditional. Once you see a potential customer you can then discuss with them the conditions. Otherwise, $15 for an hour's worth of work is truly way too low.

Where in the paper are you planning on placing the ad? Classifieds or in the main sections, say first 8 pages?

Team Gopher
08-20-2003, 06:13 AM
Hi Surefire,

Your ad sure is an eye catcher :)

Here are two interesting threads related to newspaper ads.

Need ad headline help (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50733)

Thoughts on my ad? (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50323)

surefire
08-20-2003, 06:53 AM
ta Gopher
and Ozi_Brisbane i have put it in a paper they nearly died when they saw it and got the girl i booked with as a client but i have a few small unit complexes that work out to 5 dollars a week each unit. i explain this to potential customers and they seem happy with this but the day after i placed my advert they sugested to some one else to use the format as well so in one collum there are two adverts one on top of the other (not happy) thats why im looking for a new hook.
Ozi_Brisbane ive only been in for three months as well and i dont mind sharring as well ive got some good quoting ideas and can also do fairly good graphics so if you need help or want to chat
my email is
surefire@iprimus.com.au
ta warren

mrbenfer
08-29-2003, 05:07 PM
How in the world can you charge $5 for a yard?

I pay 38.99 for a 3 line add for 1 week in our paper.

For a add like yours it would be over $50! How in the world do you pay for your add and make some money on top of that?

Do you break even?

Figure what your overhead is and charge accordingly. Dude at those prices you get paid less then the illegals working down south.

"Besides that.... Your turning down people believe it or not by putting that big cheap $5 in your add. I would use reasonable rates."

When I started I charged people $12..... But we all start somewhere.

surefire
08-30-2003, 05:55 AM
prices difer over here but it states from 5 dollars weekly in summer we only mow every two weeks and winter every 4 but i have a few small units that are only worth 10 per mow but in saying this there are five in the complex. thats what i mow from average 800 sqaure yard is around 30 dollars Aus .
but after running the ad for two weeks i agree that it may turn some of but just want to be different from every other joe blow over here .
any sugestions would be apreciated. ta for your feed back mrbenfer
warren

surefire
08-30-2003, 05:57 AM
sorry also the advert cost 161 australian dollars and runs for four weeks again i just need a hook ??????

ryan cooper
01-05-2004, 05:43 PM
i usually charge minimum of 20.00 but usually 25-30.00 trust me if you want good customers be patient and word af mouth will spread and people wont mind paying 25.00 if not more for cutting,also include other services to ....thats if you really want to make some$$$
good luck AND GOD BLESS