PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care

msgtp99
08-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Well first of all I am new here and i did read some posts and people talking about water skiing in the homeowners part where folks are trying to find out about lawns was kind of moving.....

But here is my question. I have about an acre of Bermuda which I have sod in the front yard and I have seeded the back yard with Sonoma blend Bermuda. I have a good stand of thick grass in most of the area's I just got a riding mower since I got tired of pushing a 21" push mower.

Is it better to buy a dethatcher or and aerator/spreader combination?

Also I have areas that are very dark green and some areas that are a pale green. The entire yard has been fertilized and is being now treated by a lawn care service. The front sod is very dark green but since this is a new home just built in May of this year maybe I am expecting the miracle good looking yard rather early. I pride what my yard looks like and work hard to get it well groomed.

Any advice would be helpful....

GLAN
08-21-2003, 08:37 PM
All the work just done this past May?

Seeded lawns can take up to 2 years to become sod quality

msgtp99
08-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Yes just this past may.

But any tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated.:)

GLAN
08-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Buy the aerator

You won't need to dethatch for 2 or 3 years.

Your lawn care service that you hired should take care of the rest. Next year you will see a big improvement with the back lawn from seed.

Sorry, can't offer you much help as I have cool season turf. Principles are the same. You made the right decision to hire a profesional to get it all squared away for the fist couple years.