PDA

View Full Version : 16" trailer Intimidation

turfman33
08-22-2003, 02:41 PM
OK I am looking for a bigger trailer. I looked at a 16" and boy does that look long. I have mainly residential lawns and I'm wondering where you park that 16 footer?

Which would end up being 19-20" when the hitch gets put on. Put that on the back of an F250 and that makes for a lot of ground covered.

Also what about small Colder-sacks? Easy to move around? What if you have a client in one?

I may be rambling a bit here but I sure need a bigger trailer and that just looks to long.

Thanks

Steve
Intimidation

lawn perfection
08-22-2003, 02:55 PM
I pull a 16ft trailer with a f-250 no problems, i park on the street, or where ever i can. If you get a 16fter after a litte practice you will be fine, after a while you wonn't even know its there.

NCSULandscaper
08-22-2003, 03:41 PM
I have a 8ft trailer and a 16ft trailer and most of the time i use the 16ft but on some accounts i have to use the 8ft to park in the driveway because the street is way too busy to park on. I pull the 16ft with an f250 also and mine comes to around 36ft long total but its easy to drive after you get use to it all.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-22-2003, 03:56 PM
try parking this 12'steak body 20'box trailer total length 50' then u have to put the gate down. culdesac no chance in some of them to turn around had to back out what a pain
but if u get a 16' trailer u should like it just make sure it will fit everywhere u need to go

Likestomow
08-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Steve --- the 16’ trailer will work just fine for you and your F-250. You will quickly learn to back it up into driveways, so the cul-de-sacs shouldn’t be any problem to you if there isn’t enough room to make the turn.

Find a friend who has one and take it out for an introductory spin on the weekend.

ELC/IA
08-22-2003, 04:04 PM
and the longer the trailer the easier it is to back....i have found

Remsen1
08-22-2003, 05:20 PM
Wow 16" is really small. I think you should get a 16'

LOL!

wriken
08-22-2003, 05:23 PM
I run a 20' open trailer and this 25' v-nose, either one is no problem. Pulled by a super duty

fblandscape
08-22-2003, 05:29 PM
It will take you a little bit of getting used to, but after you go through the learning curve it won't cause you any problems. Worst case scenarios you have to back into a couple people's driveways or slightly jacknife the trailer to get the amount of turn you need.

Doc Pete
08-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Here's my f250 with my 7X18 trailer. I used to tow a 12 foot enclosed, and was really nervous about going to 18 feet. Actually the 18 tows much smoother, you just need to use those rear view mirrors........ Go for it...........

Rich's Lawn Care
08-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey Switchless, what brand is that trailer? i love the side door

Doc Pete
08-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Rich's Lawn Care
Hey Switchless, what brand is that trailer? i love the side door

Try this,
http://www.timberwolftrailers.com/

They're real nice guy's and will built the trailer any way you like. The side door is great for loading and unloading two machines at a time

LawnJoe
08-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey Switchless , thanks for the link. That's a really nice trailer.

Doc Pete
08-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by LawnJoe
Hey Switchless , thanks for the link. That's a really nice trailer.

Thanks Joe,
For solo guy like me, it's perfect. Fast loading and unloading, Everything is where I need it. It's carries my 3 mowers, two 48's, one 54 with velky attached and "down" (said that);), trim mower, push style 14 horse leaf blower, and all the little goodies. Gas is on the front, which I like for easy filling. My fall cleanup "rider" bagger also fits from the side, in place of the other 48.
Pete

turfman33
08-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Remsen1
Wow 16" is really small. I think you should get a 16'

LOL!

Yep, didn't realizer I put 16" instead of 16'. But I do have G.I. Joe using the 16".....haha

Steve

Guys, Thanks for the comments. I feel a little more confident now. I will be going down the trailer place today to sort things out. Still a little intimidated but this site sure does build your confidence in area's that need boosting.

Thanks again guys.

Steve

Doogiegh
08-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Well, go over your list of properties. Are many on cul-de-sacs? If so, either use a different trailer to do them with if it's that tight or at the end of the year, drop them for non-cul-de-sac accounts...

Watch when you turn real tight the SWING of the rear end of the trailer. You can think that you're clear of something, but the rear of the trailer swings around and can take things out..

Little things.. like telephone poles, street-side mailboxes, fire hydrants, etc.. And if backing up into driveways, watch for house light posts that people put on the front yard.. You can back right into them and knock them over without even knowing it from inside the truck.

Gary

Gravel Rat
08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Get yourself a truck with a long enough flatdeck with a beaver tail and forget about a trailer :D

In my area you can't get a trailer up or down the driveways here the Lawn and Garden guys around here carry everything in their P/U trucks. There is a guy from the next comunity cutting my neighbours grass he has a trailer he has to back down the driveway everytime. His trailer is only a single axle maybe 14' at the most the front wheels of the P/U truck usually side all the way down to the bottom of the driveway which is 200' or so feet long.

The one Gardening contractor I work with he has a F-150 with a camper style canopy its tall enough you can stand up right and he carries all his stuff in that.

I don't know how you guys can make any money cutting grass around here its a starvation business the local residents don't want to pay anymore than 10-15 bucks per hour. I tried it and forget it you burn up more equipment than money you make and nobody is ever happy.

The Garden Contractor I work with he doesn't even want to cut lawns unless he has to he would rather do landscape design and general gardening jobs. He has 1 guy that works with him full time and he's busy doing gardens etc he is worth hiring I give his name to people that need landscape work done.

wriken
08-24-2003, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking about one of those Mitsubishi's w/landscapers beds on. Any thought's on them

BSDeality
08-24-2003, 06:25 PM
GravelRat, each area has its own market value. around here guys get anywhere from $30-90/hr doing lawns in the high end markets. smaller 1/4-1/3 accounts are still done for $30 just for a minimum drop-the-gate charge. in and out in 15 minutes.

Green in Idaho
08-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Turfman,

In addition to considering the maneuverability of a 16' er consider the real necessity.

Is it just because you want ALL your equipment onboard? In most cases small operators, solo and two-mans only use the main equipment during a regular day.

Instead of packing the kitchen sinks along, consider the day's work schedule and take what you NEED and the support items (tools, spare parts, etc).

For example if there is only one person, why have two good blowers? One works. And if it's good, it will work 99% of the time. When it doesn't work the tools and the knowledge gets it going again. In extreme cases, you might have to haul back to the shop for the spare. THAT shouldn't happen. But if your luck sucks, it is only a couple times. So the one time it happens, yes it costs you money and time, but then so does buying a 16fter instead of the 10 or 12.

For solo or two-man crews I would rec. the shortest one with dual axles. The right size trailer for the right tools. One production mower, one trim mower and power tools fit well in less than 16. An enclosed also gives additional allowance since you CAN have a racks inside and even on the roof for infrequent uses/needs. So a 12 enclosed has MUCH more capacity than a 12 open trailer.

IF you are hitting large properties with a crew of 4+ with full-service, then the 16, 20, 22 or whatever is necessary comes into play.

Hauling everything when you KNOW you will not need it wastes space, reduces efficiency, more weight= more fuel, increases chances of loss/damage, and is A PITA.

And in the case of equipment overload, (2 riding mowers for only a solo operator) and loading them both,,,, well,,, what's the limit?

Right size also looks better.

Do you want the neighbors feeling like you are attacking the neighborhood? "Wholy crat honey, the SWAT team is coming in to mow next door with a semi-truck!" Or when they want to park somewhere, like where your 50 ft is occupying.

Imagine your neigbhor having a maid service once a week and the maid service arrives in a huge-as 30' RV... taking up half the block to park. EVERY WEEK!

On the other hand IF your trailer is also your ONLY storage facility you are kinda stuck. Maybe consider buying a semi-truck. Kenworth maybe. Then you can convert the front half of the trailer into a dormitory. Sleep in the local truck stop, mow every daylight hour to pay for it and 5 big mowers, and you're set! :D

Look at the extremes ends of the spectrum. Why not go longer? Why not short? Where is the happy medium?

turfman33
08-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Green in Idaho,

I totally understand what your saying. I am looking down the road to the future as well though. I will have a ztr, a 36", a 21" and a vacuum on board. Later I'm looking to get an aerator to add to my services. I hear a lot of people saying that they wish they had gone bigger with the trailer. I'm absolutely going to need a bigger trailer due to the fact that I will have to get a Z on there, so I thought don't go small and then need to go bigger again.

Later my wife and I are also looking at getting land. So the trailer will fit real nice in a big shop area.

Yes this is going to cost me more then if I went smaller, but again, I don't want to have to trade in again to get another bigger trailer for when I grow. It may be a little big for my needs at the moment as I don't have a huge amount of lawns But I really want to grow....(having trouble doing it though).

But thanks for the advice. I couldn't go smaller now if I wanted, because the trailer is in the process of being made.

I take all advice on this LawnSite and thank you guys for the support.

Steve