PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets, Head Gaskets, Head Gaskets - Kohler coughed up a new motor

Likestomow
10-06-2000, 09:48 PM
I've had two head gasket jobs done on my Kohler 25, a new carb and last week the head gasket went again. I've complained and complained to my dealer about lack of power many times. This time I asked him if he'd put in a new motor for me. He said I should call Kohler and ask them myself.

I did, they asked to speak to the mechanic, so I handed the phone over to him. They asked him what the "spec" number was on my motor. After he told them, their answer was, "That explains it". The next day the dealer faxed copies of the service records to Kohler and my new motor was shipped that day, next day air.

Kohler said it's the latest design they have at the moment and it should hold up better. For a brand new motor it runs very strong. I'm using double blades and I can't sense any less power than when I was using single blades and the mower was new.

John DiMartino
10-06-2000, 10:19 PM
I m glad to hear you have ben taken care of,did the oold one burn any oil?my 2000 does and it didnt start til after the gaskets blew

tslawn
10-06-2000, 10:21 PM
Just curious.....what was your old 25hp Kohler on exactly? How many hours were on it and what happened??? I have a 25hp Kohler on a 1999 Gravely 260Z, so, needless to say, I'm extremely interested.

Likestomow
10-06-2000, 11:58 PM
The first head gasket blew at about 25 hours and the second blew around 75 hours. The engine did use oil in between the repairs and after. The main thing is it didn't have as much power as my friends DC that I had operated the whole month of March this year. It had over 500 hours and was full of torque, while my machine was new and seemed gutless compared to his.

This last head gasket went out at 175 hours. My mower is a 60" Dixie Chopper.

From what I can gather, the rep at Kohler wanted documentation from the dealer to justify releasing a new motor, so John I would suggest checking this out with your dealer.

turfquip
10-07-2000, 06:57 AM
You need to let us know what the spec number was so we can all go check our engines.

MOW ED
10-07-2000, 08:05 AM
Why did YOU have to go thru all the B.S. ?

I am certainly glad to hear you have a new motor but wasn't it frustrating to go thru all the crap that you did to get it? You might as well put it in too.

Sorry I had to vent a little, my 25 is gone and I'm moving on with my life (hehe).

Kohler is finally admitting to a a bad line. No I'm not sorry for being critical of them in the past because I did not get a new motor. I had to sell mine because I was fed up and I had to spend 4k more to get a new unit.

But I would like to think that I am one of a big group of "WHINERS AND COMPLAINERS" that made Kohler look at the design. I'd like to think there still is hope for the little guy. Good Luck and I am happy for you.

Barkleymut
10-07-2000, 09:53 AM
Mow Ed why didn't you just spend $1200 and buy a 23 HP Kawi from Landscapersupply.com? Then in protest of Kohler you could sell your 25 HP for $1.

turfman99
10-07-2000, 12:10 PM
20 hp command with 640 hours on it. In a Walker mower. (Attn: Bob Walker!!!).

10 hours away from the service interval and it seiezed while I was doing my front yard after work.

Took it to the dealer and waiting to hear warranty denial story on Monday morning.

MOW ED
10-07-2000, 12:15 PM
I considered the Kawi but I was in crunch time with everything growing on a 4 day schedule and I needed a mower bad. (I had a bad mower) I also had 650 hours on the Walker and figured I'd start fresh. You know how little things aren't right anymore on a used one. I figured this was my trainer and I did make money from it but I learned alot too.

I'm glad I did what I did but like I always say - I will own a diesel when the right day comes.

Likestomow
10-12-2000, 12:06 AM
The Spec. Number on the engine Kohler replaced for me was:

John DiMartino
10-12-2000, 11:34 PM
Likesto mow-thank you ,my spec# on my 2000 DC is also 69531,it is also a dog,no power,blown gaskets,ticking,and burning oil too.Maybe ill get lucky and they'll replace it.

HOMER
10-13-2000, 12:13 AM
where is that # located?

Homer

John DiMartino
10-13-2000, 12:26 AM
On the engine plate,on mine its on the shroud next to the spark plug on the right side cyl on the DC.