PDA

View Full Version : Help with large mowing bid

rkbrown
08-23-2003, 12:52 AM
I have been asked to bid on a large maintenance job. It is for the church I attend but is not the main church property. It is a lodge they own and is about 45 minutes away from where I live.

It is about 14 acres total. 1/2 acre surrounding the lodge is bermuda. The rest is mainly weeds/small brush. Of the weeds/small brush about half of it is wide open. The other half has trees, but large enough to get a 60" - 72" ZTR into.

There is also just over 1000 linear ft. of edging and trimming.

This would be a large step up for me. I currently do all residential with one small commercial. My largest mower currently is an Exmark Viking 32". I would not do this job alone. I currently utilize a helper one day/week. I would definitely use him on this job.

I am thinking of bidding $60/acre for a total of $840/cut. I would cut about 40 times per year. Divide this over 12 months, it comes to $2800/month. How does this price sound ?

CSRA Landscaping
08-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Figuring on about 7 hours or so, it sounds about $800 too high to me. I would do it for $2000 per month, based on 40 visits per year.

Bear in mind that this is a subjective question. Ask 40 people and you'll get 40 different answers. Go with what you need to pay for your gas, equipment, labor, & make a nice profit. Good luck!

Meier
08-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Since you are a member of the church, you might ask them if you could do the work for free 2 or 3 times or so and just see how much time it takes you. Apply an hourly rate and viola. You're not too high nor too low...right where you need to be.

I think that's what I would do in this situation.

Later,
dfw, TX

GLAN
08-23-2003, 03:01 PM
it's an all day afair

So what is your day worth and the helper plus gas and periferal expenses.

And it is your church. Not that you should it for nothing for ever. I do think your per visit is high.

Dr. Mow
08-24-2003, 03:52 AM
we mow a 14.5 acre yard, takes 2 of us alittle less than 4 hours ( usually 3.5 hrs) 1 mows with a 61 ztr while the other weed eats, then we both blow off everything. we get 175 per week plus lots of extra work.

but the "lodge" does not sound like an ideal place so the first couple of trips may take longer but once you get it cleaned up it will go alot faster.

CSRA Landscaping
08-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by rkbrown
My largest mower currently is an Exmark Viking 32".

It may take a little longer with this mower than 4 hours.

rkbrown
08-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. Meier, that is a good suggestion and I may approach them with that or an alternative to it.

CSRA, I would be looking into ZTR is I were to get this. There are a few other accounts that I could use one on.

CSRA Landscaping
08-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Good deal, Rob. I wish you the best!

J&R
08-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Mow
we mow a 14.5 acre yard, takes 2 of us alittle less than 4 hours ( usually 3.5 hrs) 1 mows with a 61 ztr while the other weed eats, then we both blow off everything. we get 175 per week plus lots of extra work.

but the "lodge" does not sound like an ideal place so the first couple of trips may take longer but once you get it cleaned up it will go alot faster. come to Chattanooga i will let you cot 8 1/2 acers will pay you 180.00:) :) :)

Dr. Mow
08-29-2003, 01:44 AM
do not like pulling my trailer over monteagle mountain, sorry.