PDA

View Full Version : compact utility loaders

Releaf Landscapes
08-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi All,

I am new to this forum but have read it for about a year. I did searches about this subject but have found little info. Perhaps this is not the correct forum, however there seemed to be more here than in other areas. We just got a large enough job to justify the investment in a piece of equipment and are trying to make an informed decision. Much of our work is in tight spaces or yards with gates, or steep slopes, so the small narrow machines are in order. I am considering the 463 or 450C Bobcats vs. the stand on type including the Dingo 323, Mertz Boxer, Thomas,Bobcat MT50, etc. We move trees, rocks, etc and are wishing to replace some manual labor with mechanized help. I would appreciate anyones input about any or all of these choices. I have studied the specs of all these options, but specs don't tell the whole story. Neither do sales people! Experience with the machines capabilities and reliablity is much more valuable. Also have to wonder about tracks vs. tires on turf. Thanks, Noel

budracin
09-13-2003, 10:07 PM
I have just what you need...ever heard of a kanga loader? I have used mine on several jobs that are in tight spots and had no probs with this little workhorse piece of equipment. even a few fencing jobs....e-mail me at tosir@yahoo.com...i can send you some pics and a price if interested

Strawbridge Lawn
11-14-2003, 09:46 PM
I would go with the ASV RC-30.. Outclass all the littler ones and still has an OW of 3300 LBS.

UNISCAPER
11-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Releaf:

We have an RC-30, and, it is what I would choose most of the time...however, we have a similar situation as you. We in fact had to sell much of the larger machine we used as in southern California, the properties are postage stamp sized.
Much of our work is done by hand.

The RC- 30 is 46" wide, and we can drive it in to a 1 ton pick up to deliver it if we need to. The tracks make thing easier to run the machine and the CAT style controls are second none and easy to use with no effort or fatigue on the hands of the operator. We have dug swimming pools with this machine before, and with a trencher, auger or brick clamp we have never been short of power. We are limited however, with this machine, as it measures 46" wide. It does no good if you canot get it back to the work.

That said,we are getting this spring, a Bobcat 463, which, is 44" wide, and, with a 36" kit, (narrow tires and bucket) we can and have gotten ones we rented between 38" gates. They dig well, and I would strongly recommend a tooth bucket. The one thing I do not like about Bobcat in general, and this is a personal preferance thing, is the four limb operational requirements they have. With Cat, (ASV) you use two hands, arms and it is easier to think and control the machines. They also havwe a foot throttle, which makes it easier on engines as operators tend to jemp the stick wide open and let it crank...

The 463and ASV will also load our F-450 dump truck (the lowest sided one we have) where a stand on machine will not be able to reach high enough without building a dirt ramp to elevate the bucket, which, is a PITA. The break out force and hydraulics over all are better than the stand on machines as well. There are only a few limitations to this machine over a stand on type machine, as, it is a tad longer. Still, the problem with stand on machines is getting them back to the work. A Dingo measures 44" wide, for example, still far too wide for what we need to do.

Price wise, the ASV will run you about 18K, the 463 will run about 15K and the Dingo diesel model (using for comparison only) will run you 19K. I do not recommend getting a membership in any organization, or club names I will not mention...They claim better pricing for members. We have bought numerous pieces of equipment over the years. And, if a dealer wants your business, yuo show them soemone elses numbers and they will meet them every time. However, price is not just the consideration here... I look at the service reputation of where you buy, as paying a bit more would make all the differecne in the world as to how you are treated when your machine is needed, and in at the dealer for work.