PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do on steeeeeep hill, use a trimmer?

syzer
10-07-2000, 08:19 PM
When you guys get steep hill that a walk behind wont hang onto and a push mower to much a pain in the but...what do you do? I seen a guy here take the guard off the trimmer and have like a foot of string whipping around. Does this make sense? What do you guys do? What do you recomend?

Thanks,

Chris

Evan528
10-07-2000, 08:32 PM
Unless less the steep hill is right in front of the house and is very visible i always cut them with a trimmer. I can cut a hill with a trimmer alot faster than it takes to cut it with a push mower. None of my timmers have sheilds and i always have a good 8-10iches of string on each side out.

accuratelawn
10-07-2000, 08:38 PM
I will also use a trimmer. Remember with the guard off and alot of line out you will burn up the clutch.

lawrence stone
10-07-2000, 08:50 PM
http://www.hovermower.com/

or

Just plant crown vetch in that area.

[Edited by lawrence stone on 10-07-2000 at 11:53 PM]

syzer
10-07-2000, 08:57 PM
anyone ever use these floating mowers? I have seen them before husquavarna has one also.

Vibe Ray
10-07-2000, 09:41 PM
How does it work??

sunrise
10-07-2000, 10:43 PM
Yeap I have a hoover mower its 16in wide but it works well.
It uses trimmer string and floots on air. over rock but it now good for straight lines. cost about $400.00

The Lawn Genie
10-07-2000, 10:55 PM
I've never even seen one of those before. I just ordered the video though... looks interesting to me. Anyone else had any experience with them?

powerreel
10-07-2000, 11:49 PM
Hover mowers are cool, they can't bag though.For steep hills I use 2 cycle toros, 21's. They'll run awesome with the mulch plug in and no dump fees! Sturdy machines that over time you'll only replace suspension parts on! Three speed trans with zerks, get both blades for it.

bob
10-08-2000, 12:33 AM
For steep areas I use a trimmer. I don't like using the 21" mower when I don't have to.

Scag48
10-08-2000, 01:22 AM
I go for it! I just take the Toro and drop off the ledge. It's pretty dangerous though. I almost cut my foot off when I was mowing this one account. I slipped and fell. My mom almost had a heart attack. The hard part is keeping the mower from rolling over. I go across the hill with my 21". Too steep to go up and down. I have to push when I go up even with a self propelled.

plymouthvaliant73
10-08-2000, 01:46 AM
Years ago a couple of times I stood at the top with a rope to lower and pull back a push mower on a steep hill. It works but took a lot of time and effort. Now I just use the trimmer.

jaclawn
10-08-2000, 01:56 PM
We have got hills that no 21" machine could ever tackle. I have one of the origional hover mowers, a Flymo. It is old, maybe 20 years.

IT was more trouble than it was worth. It was also a bit dangerous, as it was too easy to get near your feet.

I found it eaiser to just use a trimmer.

syzer
10-08-2000, 02:15 PM
Yeah from what i see it seems trimmers are the way to go. Thanks guys.

Chris

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 04:19 PM
i have one yard with a steep hill and i use my trimmer for it

RandyRhoads
06-25-2003, 06:58 PM
hey just a little input about really steep hills. I like to use my honda 21". Its very good for that stuff being the fact that it uses shaft drive for the drive assembly. It harly every slips because i of the weight shift to the back. Its very powerful for that kind of stuff.

tiedeman
06-25-2003, 07:31 PM
trimmers are the way too go, next in line to a push mower

FrankenScagMachines
06-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Anything steeper than my hydro walk behind can handle, I can't stand on anyway. With a good hydro w/b it gives you a 600+ lb. machine to hang onto to stabilize yourself. I've got a couple areas (one behind an inground pool thats on a higher area) where the w/b slips 6" down for every 18" forward that it drives. No kidding. I ride the sulky on most of that but walk just downhill of the machine for the worst areas. I mow these areas across, thats the best way to do it, if not the only way. I've yet to find something the w/b can't tackle and if I ever did I would not be able to stand on it and keep my balance with the trimmer. My 52" hydro w/b stays on very steep areas better than my 2 cycle rear wheel drive Toro 21" anyway...

wriken
06-25-2003, 08:36 PM
trimmer

WildSide
06-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Use a 36 and go horizontal to the hill, might be scary but should work, and of course if it does not, a trimmer will.

bob
06-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Yup

lilred731
06-25-2003, 11:08 PM
I have a very steep hill to cut, it is a small one but I use a push mower. It is at a 60 - 65 degree angle. I am very thankful that the steep part is not that long. It may be only 8 - 10 feet long. I will try the trimmer the next time.

Darryl G
06-25-2003, 11:56 PM
I use a trimmer.

Can't you blow a mower motor going sideways on steep inclines by starving it of oil? My Kawisaki manuals say nothing over 25 degrees.

DLCS
06-26-2003, 12:00 AM
If its very steep, I'll use a trimmer or my Lawn Boy.

rvsuper
06-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
I use a trimmer.

Can't you blow a mower motor going sideways on steep inclines by starving it of oil? My Kawisaki manuals say nothing over 25 degrees.

I've also heard of that too. Never had it happen though but I can see it happening to me with these hills I have here.

the scaper
06-26-2003, 12:56 AM
i heard someone mention a hoover mower on another thread but i thought they were just kidding, i just saw the website but that could just be trick photography, you know, like the elusive jackalope. are these things for real? i was pretty darn sure i had seen everything :eek: oh yea, thus far i've used a trimmer on the steeps, that is if its to steep to run the rider up and down it.(which has to be pretty darn steep i might add:D )

SWD
06-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Either Allen brand or the Husky hover mowers are a stape of the golf course maintenance department. They are used for many types of trimming purposes, are much faster and neater than a hand held trimmer, and provide a much more even, finished look than hand held trimming ever could.
The best way I have encountered on mowing a steep hill is with a hover mower suspended from a rope. All you do is walk the top of the hill (back and forth) and pay out line until the hill has been cut.
As far as a previous poster saying the mowers aren't worth the effort, you need to update. The newer machines are lighter, the motors are faster, cut better and are easier to use.

mikesjumpingin
06-26-2003, 09:38 AM
This is a good thread.

I have an account that's 75% hill at multiple grades and I slide and slip and spin so much, I'm thinking of wearing my bike helmit just for laughs. Mower is new, good taction.

It's not just the slope, I do steeper hills no problem. This lawn has slippery grass. I slipped and fell twice on the flat part before I got my sulky. Weird property. I should wear that helmit because that is the yard I will do myself in on.

I was thinking of line-trimming half the yard but it is soooo much, and the owner had a nest of copperheads last year and makes me also trim a wooded area of all small growth each week (so she can see the ground). My trimmer gets very hot on this property.

I may experiment with taking my guard off so I can speed things up a little.

FrankenScagMachines
06-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by darryl gesner
I use a trimmer.

All Kawasaki engines, as far as I know, come with full pressure flitered lubrication systems which let them safely operate on steep slopes. Most if not all Kohlers do too. It's the homeowner grade engines without pressure lubrication that you have to worry about. But I'm sure there is a point where even a pressure lube'd one will no longer be able to pick the oil up though...

IndyPropertyCare
06-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Question ?? When you say you are doing it with a "weed wacker" just how much area are you cutting ?? 100 sq. ft ? 1/2 acre ? Just curious.... we have a property that has 2 acres of "steep" graded hillside, along with large trees that we have to cut and trim around. We use a 48" WB hydro and its does the job, there is no-way we could ever get a rider ZTR to this ( very dangerous ) but just the thought of doing it all with a weed-wacked !!!! YIKES :eek: 2 days ago the 48" WB blew the engine...( broke both rods ) and the thought of OH Gezzz,,,what now ?? well we bought a new 52" exmark a nd I hope it does as well as the other.

turfcare
06-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Trimmer and Lawnboy!

GraZZmaZter
06-26-2003, 06:30 PM
accurate - Ive ALWAYS ran my trimmers with the guards and never burned up a clutch. What brand do you use?

the scaper
06-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by IndyPropertyCare
Question ?? When you say you are doing it with a "weed wacker" just how much area are you cutting ?? 100 sq. ft ? 1/2 acre ? Just curious.... we have a property that has 2 acres of "steep" graded hillside, along with large trees that we have to cut and trim around. We use a 48" WB hydro and its does the job, there is no-way we could ever get a rider ZTR to this ( very dangerous ) but just the thought of doing it all with a weed-wacked !!!! YIKES :eek: 2 days ago the 48" WB blew the engine...( broke both rods ) and the thought of OH Gezzz,,,what now ?? well we bought a new 52" exmark a nd I hope it does as well as the other. i will mow 2 acres on a 45 degree slope with a weed wacker if the price is right. :)

blairbuc
06-26-2003, 11:56 PM
have a commercial hover mower, lot of money for what it is around $700 with a Suzuki Two stroke, It works but tends to cut on the low side, so in summer you will get burn on a steep bank that sheds water.

Wish I had my $700 back cause I'd be using my Sthil Weed Wacker instead, but the Hoover Mower will do it faster and more even.

The Hoover works best near a pond edge were you can go over the water to get the stray grass.

Also when you shut that Hoover off, you carry it to the truck, don't think of hoovering across the yard your real mower did , cause you will get a 19" strip a lot lower that the other mower.

When its 90 deg. and the end of the day, I don't want to carry the big commericial one, so it you are going to do it get the smaller lighter machine the with the Tecumsa 2 stroke, won't last as long but lighter then the Suzuki two stroke.

the scaper
06-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by blairbuc
have a commercial hover mower, lot of money for what it is around $700 with a Suzuki Two stroke, It works but tends to cut on the low side, so in summer you will get burn on a steep bank that sheds water.

Wish I had my $700 back cause I'd be using my Sthil Weed Wacker instead, but the Hoover Mower will do it faster and more even.

The Hoover works best near a pond edge were you can go over the water to get the stray grass.

Also when you shut that Hoover off, you carry it to the truck, don't think of hoovering across the yard your real mower did , cause you will get a 19" strip a lot lower that the other mower.

When its 90 deg. and the end of the day, I don't want to carry the big commericial one, so it you are going to do it get the smaller lighter machine the with the Tecumsa 2 stroke, won't last as long but lighter then the Suzuki two stroke. you are kidding right? go over a pond and trim water grass? i'm wondering, do they make a riding hoover mower too? i'm begining to get interested. :eek:

blairbuc
06-27-2003, 01:47 AM
take another look, never said "water grass."

I'll try again for you with a lot more detail.

Think of a customer who wants the pond trimmed including the stray grass all the way to the water edge.

In this situation a hover can go in a sideway swinging motion to edge a pond a lot faster than a mower on wheels. You can also stand on top of the bank and swing the mower down to the water edge which is easier that anyting on wheels. If your arc is bad , on occasion, and you go too far over the edge across some water, the hoover does not care.

Once again, no mention hydroponic grass.

pinnacle
06-27-2003, 02:04 AM
For really step hills I use a 42 great dane mighty compak and I'v welded up a roll cage for it and retro fitted a seat belt to it. I roll the thing at least once every time i do this one job and I just flip it over and keep cutting.But where I live most of my cuts on steep hills are for macadamia farmers so there not to worried about quality of cut but just keeping it down so if its lawn go the weed whacker and just charge a little more if its grass and weed get your self a roll cage seat belt set up. I've worked my cage around the strong spots in my mighty compact and basically I am left with machine that is protects me and the machine against roll over. When I first made it i was purposely rolling the thing to show me mates in the industry my idea. Now heaps of maca farmers are making them up for there 4WD Kubota.

See the mighty compak at .greatdane.com.au (Aussie site)

pinnacle
06-27-2003, 02:06 AM
For really step hills I use a 42 great dane mighty compak and I'v welded up a roll cage for it and retro fitted a seat belt to it. I roll the thing at least once every time i do this one job and I just flip it over and keep cutting.But where I live most of my cuts on steep hills are for macadamia farmers so there not to worried about quality of cut but just keeping it down so if its lawn go the weed whacker and just charge a little more if its grass and weed get your self a roll cage seat belt set up. I've worked my cage around the strong spots in my mighty compact and basically I am left with machine that is protects me and the machine against roll over. When I first made it i was purposely rolling the thing to show me mates in the industry my idea. Now heaps of maca farmers are making them up for there 4WD Kubota.

See the mighty compak at .greatdane.com.au (Aussie site)