PDA

View Full Version : Homelite VS. Echo

Mitchell
10-07-2000, 10:50 PM
I recently went to Home Depot and priced a Homelite dual string, straight shaft, 17'' cut w a 25cc engine for $109.00 They had an Echo (model 2100SP) dual string, straight shaft,(longer shaft than Homelite and Im 6'5'') 17'' cut w a 21.6cc engine for $199.00(on sale). Is Echo worth the extra $90.00 for the smaller engine? I have 14 residential accounts.

Barkleymut
10-07-2000, 11:08 PM
I have a Echo 2100 that I bought used 2 years ago. I only use it as a backup but have had zero problems with it. It probably gets about 8 hours of use a week. Being 6'3" I also appreciate the longer shaft. Also throw out cc measurements and HP measurements. That Echo will power through more than the Homelite. For residentials only the Echo is a good choice.

Eric ELM
10-07-2000, 11:11 PM
If I had a choice of just those 2, I would get the Echo. It is a better trimmer plus the taller you are, the longer the trimmer shaft needs to be so you don't have to bend over to trim.

syzer
10-07-2000, 11:20 PM
Echo hands down...

Chris

Lazer
10-07-2000, 11:22 PM
That's the baby Echo straight shaft.

It CAN be bought for $169 if you shop online or e-mail me and I'll tell you where to mail-order it for that much.

For 14 residentials, it's a pretty decent trimmer.

Mark_Christopher
10-07-2000, 11:27 PM
Mitchell,

Go with the Echo... Im still in the residential maintenance business with about 45 accounts and have a Echo for my back-up and it still runs great. If you're going to be in the business, it's always better to spend that little extra cash and do it right the first time- You wont regret it.

Mark

landscaper3
10-07-2000, 11:33 PM
We have the Echo 2601 trimmers they where like $270 or so a piece, your best bet is to go to http://www.alamia.com
they have a huge selection of commercial trimmers.

bob
10-08-2000, 12:30 AM
If you get the Echo, there will be more support in service and parts. Most lawn mower shops sell Echo products. Check out the Shindaiwa T230's.

Scag48
10-08-2000, 12:38 AM
I agree with everyone but Homelite's aren't bad. I bought one last year before I started my biz this year otherwise I probably would have gotten a Stihl. My Homelite has given me 0 problems in the time I have owned it. It's got lots of power with the 25 cc engine. I let one of my dad's friends use it and he thought it was like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Lamborgini compared to his Weed-Eater.:)

script
10-08-2000, 01:04 AM
I also agree that the homelites are great residential trimmers, and I used a homelite when I started, but my Echo hasn't given me any problems at all since day one. So I'd have to say get the Echo. BUT,,, I've used a freinds Red Max and if you could swing it, I'd go with it. It was awsome and if my Echo ever dies I'll probably get one.

Bobby

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 01:10 AM
Scag48, how many hours do you put on your Homelite a year? You mentioned on one post that you only trim once a month and how many lawns do you do? When you use them every day all week long, they don't hold up well. They don't even hold up for a homeowner very well if he has a big lawn.

MJB
10-08-2000, 01:12 AM
Homelites are just throwaways, I use for a while a toss in the garbage. Their is no comparison between homelite an Echo, Redmax, or Stihl. But if you only have a $100 go for it until you can get something better. I use the 2601 Echo with the EDGIT, this is great if you do a lot of edging or if you have a lot flat trimming. When you add the Edgit you can let out about 6" more string and still control it with out the backlash. Check out the Edgit at http://www.edgit.com They have a video on their website. You can also buy them for Homelite, Redmax, Stihl.

geogunn
10-08-2000, 01:30 AM
mitchell--there are a bunch of trimmers out there to choose from. I prefer one that suits my needs and that's the homelite ST-275. I do mostly residential and light commercial accounts. for 109 bucks, it'll last at least a season then throw it away and buy another. or just run it 'till it quits then buy another. that's what I do.

a big time dealer once told me that the difference in the homlite and an expensive trimmer is that when the expensive trimmer breaks down you don't mind spending the money to fix it. with the HOMIE you just toss it.

I bought the echo that you are talking about (used to work at home depot). HATED IT! it ran good, smooth and was the stupidest designed machine that I ever got ahold of. the guard and the bump head were designed by people that never cut grass in their life! I took it back!

mitchell--there comes a time in every man's life where he has to take the seldom traveled path. this is it. go to home depot and plunk down your hard earned dinero an buy that HOMELITE! you'll feel better about yourself knowing you did the right thing;)

e-mail for more details, I'm gonna get flamed for what I've said already.

GEO

ps--how 'bout those VOL's? ouch.

(edited to correct a typo--GEO)

[Edited by geogunn on 10-08-2000 at 04:33 AM]

MJB
10-08-2000, 01:48 AM
Last year I tried to be cheap bought 2 Homelites brand new. After 2 weeks I bought a Redmax because the Homelites would not start unless you pulled them about 20 times. We do a lot of trimming and they get hot and don't start. My employees were ready to string me up so we went back to what they were happy and productive with in the past Echo and Redmax. The more trimming you do the more you want a powerful but light well balanced Echo 2601 11 lbs 25 cc.

So if you want some cheap homelites? lol You'll have to talk to my garbage man. :-)

Runner
10-08-2000, 02:03 AM
Homelite vs. Echo. Datsun truck vs. Chevrolet. Encore vs. Exmark. V.W. vs Ferrari, Huffy vs. GT. Get the picture?

Richard Martin
10-08-2000, 06:05 AM
geogunn wrote:

<b><i>I do mostly residential and light commercial accounts. for 109 bucks, it'll last at least a season then throw it away and buy another. or just run it 'till it quits then buy another.</b></i>

Why would you do that when you can buy one good trimmer and get 3 or 4, possibly more years out of it. At 109 for a Homelite and 190 for the Echo it doesn't make sense. It costs more and is more aggrevation to buy the Homelite over the long run.

<b><i>a big time dealer once told me that the difference in the homlite and an expensive trimmer is that when the expensive trimmer breaks down you don't mind spending the money to fix it. with the HOMIE you just toss it.</b></i>

If you believe this I have some Florida swamp land to sell you. I bought the "Big" Homelite 25cc straight shaft trimmer when I first started out. It lasted about 1 year. I replaced it with a Shindaiwa T-230 that lasted 3 years on the job until someone swiped it. There must be something different besides just the price?

MOW ED
10-08-2000, 06:58 AM
I "had" the Homelite stright shaft that you are referring to and would recommend anything but. I currently use the smaller curved shaft dual line trimmers that I consider disposables for 65 bucks. The stright shaft lasted a season and a half and I junked it. Good Luck.

Keith
10-08-2000, 07:12 AM
Buy a Shindaiwa T230 for about 30 bucks more than the Echo. You will thank bob and me.

Dave
10-08-2000, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Martin
[B]geogunn wrote:

<b><i>I do mostly residential and light commercial accounts. for 109 bucks, it'll last at least a season then throw it away and buy another. or just run it 'till it quits then buy another.</b></i>

I had a person try to tell me that he gets three years out oh his srm2100 for two hundred and he felt it was a better deal than the t-230 average 5 years at 269.00 i told him to do the math.not to cut you down Richard ,but I think your in the same situation due the math

Charles
10-08-2000, 11:23 AM
Echo all the way. Our local hardware store quit selling homelight blowers because they are junk. Been there done that when I first started. Bought the homelite 180 windspeed handheld blower. Within 5 min the carb lossen up just enough to cut the power. I went through 3 of these. Same thing happened. Thats why they quit selling them. Couldnt keep the carbs on or tight even with locktight. The whole engine would vibe apart eventually Most all echo stuff will last for years if you take care of them. I think the 2400 echo has plenty of power. But of course the more power the better lol. Homelite is just trouble and will waste your time going back and forth to the shop

Richard Martin
10-08-2000, 11:30 AM
Dave wrote:

{t-230 average 5 years at 269.00 i told him to do the math.not to cut you down Richard ,but I think your in the same situation due the math}

Apparently math (or dealer profit margins anyway) is different where you live. I can buy T-230s at 3 different dealers for $229.00. That gives me a per year cost of $45.80 based on a 5 year lifespan. You would have to buy a minimum of 3 Homelites (probably more) to go five years. That would be 3 X $109.00 or $327.00 divided by 5 for a per year cost of $65.40. Like I said in my previous post, the Shindaiwa (or Echo) ends up being cheaper in the long run.

In the case of your Echo for $200.00 at 3 years that comes out to $66.66 per year. Even if I were to pay $269.00 for my T-230s it still only comes out to 53.80 per year (based on <i><b>your</i></b> 5 year Shindaiwa lifespan quote). I think you need to buy a calculator.

[Edited by Richard Martin on 10-08-2000 at 02:37 PM]

Barkleymut
10-08-2000, 03:19 PM
Forget about the inital cost. The productivity gains of a 25cc COMMERCIAL trimmer are so huge that your labor costs (yes you will have labor costs in a couple years) are saved tremendously.

John DiMartino
10-08-2000, 03:27 PM
i LOVE MY kbl 26 kawi,its 10 lbs and has lots of power,the only thing i changed was to cut down the big shield a bit thats it.I love this trimmer and friends have bought them after using mine.I was gonig to buy a redmax but they wouldnt let me try one-there loss.

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 05:26 PM
i would spend the extra money and buy the echo-i run all stihl and i have never had any problem with them-you ought to check into them

little green guy
10-08-2000, 06:41 PM
I would never even think about Homejuunk trimmers. I have a couple smr2400 echo's and there ok. There about 2 years old, I think I'm gonna have to replace them next season. I'm gonna buy Redmax. The echos have plenty of power, and I like the way there balanced but i've had some problems with them. Sometimes there hard to start and don't run right sometimes. Plus my workers beat the CRAP out of them, We've been through like 3 or 4 trimmer heads this year.

Stinger
10-08-2000, 08:09 PM
Well I'ts kinda like this, once you've owned a Red Max or Shindaiwa trimmer everything else is null and void. Those of us who have the pleasure of running real equipment are in the know! If your worried about $90 then keep working till you can afford what you need! Then buy a REAL trimmer that is dependable for many season to come. I have never seen a professional LCO with Homelite equipment on their trailers and if anybody, they should know.

bob
10-08-2000, 09:57 PM
My 10 1/2 year old Shindaiwa T-27, suffered a gear box problem and is temporary out of commission. Last year I replaced the coil. These are the only two problems I've ever had with this machine. It still starts up on the first or second pull. I have two newer models, but I always liked useing the old one. Buy quality and you won't have to buy a new one every year!