PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Guard off or on???

Vibe Ray
10-08-2000, 12:13 AM
how many of you take your trimmer guard off? I have seen many lawn comps do it...WHY? To me it seems that your engine is made to swing around a certain amount of string. It seems if u take the guard off u wouldn't be able to stop it from coming out futher than its supposed to and burn up the engine! It also stops some of the debri from flying everywhere and on you. The extra weight can't make much difference. So if you do take yours off...WHY???

bob
10-08-2000, 12:23 AM
I use Shindaiwa T-270's, with fully automatic heads. I slide the guard up the shaft so the line doesn't get cut by the guard. The auto heads won't allow too much line to come out. The machine never bogs down with the amount of line I like using.

eslawns
10-08-2000, 12:46 AM
I run 'em the way they come from my dealer.

Lazer
10-08-2000, 01:02 AM
The reason WHY some companies do is because more line can come out and production is increased.

Most commercial trimmers will cut much thicker vegatation than ornamental turf and letting out a few extra inches of line doesn't bog down most good trimmers.

That's WHY they do it, as far as would I recommend it.....

script
10-08-2000, 01:12 AM
I agree with Lazer, I wouldn't recommend going without the gaurd for safety reasons, but I personally move a lot quicker without it. It's faster around trees, posts, etc. I just work faster without it. The gaurd seems to get in the way too often. Just my opinion!

MJB
10-08-2000, 01:17 AM
Take your guards off and put on an Edgit. http://www.edgit.com

Runner
10-08-2000, 01:49 AM
To be, or not to be... I drop our gaurds for productivity. With practice, small poles and trees can be trimmed without having to go around them. Different conditions require different blade lengths. i.e. regular grass trimming can take longer length, allowing wider, smooter swaths to be taken while something like a heavy foliaged ditch may require shorter string/more engine power to move through more productively. The onlything is, is that with no guards with cutoff, we carry a pair of sidecutters or pruners with us to cut the string to length. Not that much of a hassle.

powerreel
10-08-2000, 02:11 AM
Guards on, I hate getting hit with rocks- split lips hurt!

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-08-2000, 02:47 AM
NO PAIN, NO GAIN

If your worried about getting hit in the leg with a rock or getting a little dirty then i would hate to say it but u went into the wrong business. The second i get a new whip the first thing i do is take the gaurds off. I di not see how people can whip with them on. First off the cuting width is tiny, u mindsa as well break out a pair of scissors. Second off they are way to powerfull with that little string, u get to close to a small bush or anything you will hack the crap out of it. third it is way off balance and goofy.....i can whip a yard 5 times faster without the gaurds.

stick9
10-08-2000, 03:09 AM
We, too, use the T270s withOUT the guard. You can move so much quicker with the longer string. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses (I still take a rock or two, ocassionally) and HIGHLY recommend everyone else to do the same (why lose your eye for a no reason?) With all that said, anybody want to buy 5 or 6 brand new Shindaiwa T270 guards? :)

sTiCk-ninE

Sammy
10-08-2000, 04:28 AM
I think that if you had an employee get hurt while useing a trimmer with out the guard in place and he sued you. You would lose. OSHA might have something to say also.

HOMER
10-08-2000, 09:49 AM
Safety should be a priority. I wonder why they put the guards on anyway? Speed kills, so do flying objects!

Homer

cos
10-08-2000, 09:55 AM
Guards off!

It is easy to get under shrubs and around obstacles. And you can save trimmer line and don't have to worry about the guard having to cut the line every time it gets too long.

powerreel
10-08-2000, 02:29 PM
With some insurance policies, guards must be in place to be covered. This may not be an issue with people who don't have a need for things like insurance policies! As far as getting hit in the leg with rocks or dirty- that's funny!

awm
10-08-2000, 04:19 PM
Idont tkink the guard protect much just
gov requirement. If you dont wear safety
glasses of some kind its just a matter of
time.

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 04:52 PM
i think i may try one with the guard off,the stihls i have throw stuff everywhere anyway,why not try it?????

Stinger
10-08-2000, 07:18 PM
I hear alot of you crying about getting hit with rocks in the face. Buy a clear or screen mesh faceshield and get to work. We run all our Red Max BC2600's without guards. As long as you wear protective gear you should be safe. At least the dog poo is soft huh?

Runner
10-08-2000, 07:37 PM
I have a pair of these chaps for when I wear shorts and have to trim. They are held on with elastic straps with velcro fasteners fast on, fast off. Mine have a foam shin and knee protector and work great! Available through wechapps.com.

SMB
10-08-2000, 08:49 PM
GUARDS OFF! The increase in productivity is HUGE! I don't worry about getting dirt on me, (as powerreel said, "That's funny!") I NEVER wear shorts while mowing or Weed Eating. I wear a pair of safety glasses all the time (well, almost) while I'm trimming(and have only got my lip busted once-by a piece of fence wire). The only downside to having the guard off is that in high grass you occaisionally get slug guts on ya!

cutntrim
10-08-2000, 09:32 PM
My partner and I trim without guards. Our employees trim with them. We wear shorts. Girls who work for the city wear long pants. Adidas Killer Loops are my eye protection.

cos
10-08-2000, 09:49 PM
Runner,

You reminded me of something really funny. I remember a guy cutting the grass next to a lawn I was cutting and he had a pair of jeans with the whole back cut out of them. They looked like pants in the front and shorts in the back. Everytime he walked, especially when he turned, he would swing them around all over. He was tall with thick glasses and the idea was cool, but he looked sooooooooooooo goofy.

Cutter1
10-09-2000, 12:02 AM
I use shindaiwa t270's. I run them without the guard. I can put out about a foot of line and walk as fast as I can and still trim everything. Guards just add weight and get in the way. I use the universal bump heads, so I can switch spools with all the trimmers. I wear Oakley Eye Jackets to protect my eyes(Its a write off :)) I have taken a few good shots over the years, but you get use to it. Slug guts are nasty, but the worst is the doggie do do that you didn't see!!

gusbuster
10-09-2000, 12:48 AM
Guards come off first thing. What good is a guard if you can't see what you are doing? The old guards were ok and I did use them. The guards the last few years are just too big.
John

SLC1
10-09-2000, 11:21 PM
Guards Off,

It is so much easier to get under shrubs and around small trees. And with some brands it takes some weight off the machine.

lawnboy11
10-10-2000, 05:40 PM
Leave it on. If you can't afford to buy an extra 5 lbs of line a year then get out of business now. It just makes sense to leave it on. For your sake, the safety of others and property damage possibilities it is best left on.

little green guy
10-10-2000, 09:10 PM
Mine come off right away, there just a plain pian in the butt.

BTW- all you guys complianing about rocks and dirt on your legs, try getting your leg weedwacked with shorts on, now that hurts. I had a carless worker who came over to talk to me and still had his hand on the throtle at like 3/4 and hit my leg with the trimmer, my leg was swollen for 4 days, not too much blood but it stung like hell. =)

Vibe Ray
10-10-2000, 10:22 PM
Yah, but doesn't the extra power required to spin the extra string wear the engine??? Not so much the weight of the string but how far the end from the head makes it harder to spin, you know...

TLS
10-10-2000, 10:45 PM
Is it just me or does a cleanly cut line cut grass better? How do you guys with no guard keep a sharp cut on the end of the trimmer line? When it gets dull, it tends to not cut as cleanly. Plus, I tried it once, if you accidentally tap it twice, then there is like 2 feet of line and that is way too much. I admit that the guard does nothing to protect the operator or spectator, but the little metal knife on the edge is priceless for a fine cut, and for controling excess line length.

Is anyone else with me on this?

Vibe Ray
10-10-2000, 10:57 PM
That makes sense to me Dixie...never thought of that aspect of it. Hey guys is there anyway to get a cutoff knife out there w/o the guard???if not who makes the best guard for this???

CommercialCuts
10-11-2000, 04:50 PM
Take those gaurds off. I went 2 yrs before i tried this and couldnt believe the fatigue i saved myself at the end of the day, just by taking those things off. Best thing i ever did for my back. Ill take the skinned up kness and legs they heel just fine over the winter!!!!!!

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
10-11-2000, 06:32 PM
I use an echo quick load fixed line head. Amazing! Its got little teeth that let you stick the line in and then they grab it. I couldn't yank that line if I wanted to. I just carry a pocket full of pre cut line. Works really great. Plus there is no little bump knob so the bottom it totally flat... really easy to mow with that trimmer.

SMB
10-11-2000, 07:17 PM
About the cut off knife, I normally carry a pocket knife, that I rarely use for this purpose, but I put the string up against a rock or something (asphault works real well) to cut off extra line. TRIMMER GUARDS OFF!!! Just try it! I'll NEVER put mine back on! As soon as I get a new Shindaiwa next year, OFF THE GUARD GOES! Sorry for all the HOLLERIN'!

MIDSOUTH
10-11-2000, 08:57 PM
i took the guard off my stihl today and will not put it back on-it does not throw any more debris without the guard than it did with it

The Lawn Genie
10-12-2000, 05:41 PM
Guard on... I move the guard up the shaft a little bit, so I can have the line a little longer, but I just prefer working with it on. (Yes I have taken them off... put them right back on too.)