PDA

View Full Version : Does your wife help with the biz?

eslawns
10-08-2000, 01:03 AM
My wife just quit her 30k a year job. She's been talking about it for months. I wanted her to wait until next year, but she said she couldn't take it any more. Now she is supposed to take over the admin side of my biz. I was wondering how many of you do the same thing. It's only been a little over a week, what kind of problems can I expect? What do your wives do?

Lazer
10-08-2000, 01:06 AM
My wife has her own career, with no direct involvement in the business whatsoever other than host at company outings.

MJB
10-08-2000, 01:21 AM
My wife didn't like her job either, so I bought her a Walker
and she has increased our income substancially, after the first 2 weeks of training. Now she runs the Lazer and the Walker better than any employees I have hired in the last few years. Great investment, I still do all the bids, etc, she does the billing.

John DiMartino
10-08-2000, 01:22 AM
Mine plows,she is excellent.Very fast yet never misses a detail.She also does billing and stops at the accounts-everyone likes her and i swear i get more work when she is with me.She is a police officer too,so i have to share her with them.Her schedule and snow storms usually colide and that hurts.She mows once in a while if im behind or my back is hurting real bad,but she needs more practice on the DC still.

IRISH
10-08-2000, 01:41 AM
My wife is a big help she trims most of the bushes spreads fert answers the phone when not working same thing here i think she gets me work Actual labor from her is about 20-30 hrs. a week
lots of help i am glad to have her

IRISH

KirbysLawn
10-08-2000, 01:45 AM
My wife helps me when I need it, mostly trims shrubs, edging and trimming. OUR goal is for her to quit her job next year and work together full-time.

MOW ED
10-08-2000, 07:32 AM
My wife has been doing the billing and phones for 4 years now and wants to help in the field. Next year she will start slow while our youngest goes to 1/2 day kindergarten then the year after we well expand.It helps out tremendously.

sunrise
10-08-2000, 08:10 AM
my biggest surporter on those long and bad days
couldnt do it without her,and she has here own job

parkwest
10-08-2000, 10:46 AM
Behind every successful man is a good woman.

Mowman
10-08-2000, 11:19 AM
NO, wife does not help mow. She answers the phone and takes messages. She has allgeries and grass and weeds do not agree with her. Since I've got my Walker when I do get behind it doesn't take long to get caught back up. I helped a friend last week get caught up. He was behind 12 lawns and I had him caught up in one day. He uses a Simplcity Lawn tractor. He and his customers were totaly impressed with the Walker cut. Now some of his customers want me to start cutting their lawns. If your wife's does go out and help on the job site you guys are very LUCKY.
Mowman

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 11:41 AM
I guess you can call me LUCKY then. Mine has helped me for the past 8 years after quitting a job of managing a bridal store. She can do about anything I can do, but likes to trim best. I've heard some of you complain about the weight of a T27 or T270, but this is what she uses. She is very fast at it and does an A 1 job of it.

Charles
10-08-2000, 11:41 AM
The best thing I think about a wife have another career is to your family on her company insurance policy if possible. No way should she quit her job and if she does she should find another one with benefits quickly. Health insurance may be unaffordable in the futer for most selfemployed people. Especially as you get older and have more health problem. One trip to the hospital can bankrupt you

Pauls Mowing
10-08-2000, 11:54 AM
My wife helps out a lot. Keeps the phones going, following up on calls and makes new contacts for business. Great woman. Parkwest said it best!

Paul

scapes4u
10-08-2000, 12:45 PM
I AM THE WIFE !! Yes I help, but am getting so involved in hubby's lawncare biz, that I am going to have to quit my job.I am a hairdresser with shop in home, helping raise grand daughter,answering phone,doing the billing,scheduling,
gophering for parts,making calls,doing payroll,weeding & shrub clipping, mulching,planting flowers.WHEWWWWWW!! But I love it !!
Scapes4u

TGCummings
10-08-2000, 01:02 PM
My wife only helps with the moral support part now, but she left the working world for about a year recently and helped with all the calling, billing, etc. She's been back at work for about 7-8 months now, and likes what she does, but if things go well in the next 7-8 months with the biz, she'll undoubtedly join the effort full-time, and help in and out of the field.

Wouldn't have come this far w/o her...

-TGC

Chuck Sinclair
10-08-2000, 01:04 PM
No! wife is not even allowed to answer the phone for the biz too many messed up messages. My 14 year old daugther helps me with phones, mowing, and filing.
Just the other day shee took a call from an little old lady and when i went to bid the yard she said the main reason your here is because your daughter was so nice we wanted to meet you.:-)

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-08-2000, 03:10 PM
Not Married yet, but when i do get married that would be the ideal situation....she could take care of our kids and also handle the business end of the company.

dhicks
10-08-2000, 05:19 PM
My wife has her own career but helps me on the weekends with customer trim work and she will mow our own property with the Toro Z-Master. On the otherhand, she works full time spending. Just kidding!

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 05:32 PM
no,my wife has her own business-a hair salon-i mow the grass-she mows the heads.

cantoo
10-08-2000, 05:55 PM
My wife actually does most of the day to day work because we are only part time so far. Next year I hope to change that with me going full time and ger helping. I do most of the estimates but it is a proven fact that she can bid a job higher than me and we still get it. Last week two jobs that I figured about $35 to $40 for she told them $75 because of long grass. We got both jobs and got the $75, now I have to listen to her gloat about it. Next year I am thinking of always taking her with me on estimates, she seems to bring out the money in people. And she still cuts better with the Walker than I can.

lawrence stone
10-08-2000, 06:12 PM
And Stones Golden sprayer award goes to Charles for having a contingency plan.

But some of you guys need to type the words
"white slavery" in your favorite search engine.

landscaper3
10-08-2000, 10:52 PM
My wife also helps with most chores. Took her no time to operate the Walker mowers, She trims and best of all shes great with the P.R. stuff shes great at talking with customers, unfortunetly I got her 10-20 hrs a week do to her Present job. I also employ my father and are having both of them get there fertilizer applicator license.

bob
10-08-2000, 11:02 PM
My wife helps me by giving me moral support and an occasional pat on the back!

TurfMan
10-08-2000, 11:48 PM
My Wife is the GREATEST.
Without her help all of this summer, I would have been lost. Plus she works in a hospital as a nurse. I work the standard 60-70 hr a week doing the lawns, she does the phones, Billing, bidding ect ect. Without a good woman behind you, you really have nothing. She is my number 1 supporter. She gave up alot when we started this biz and has never had a complaint yet. And give her a stick trimmer, whaoooooooo, She can put any man on the crew to shame. Detail is her best attribute. thats why I love her so much.

diggerman
10-09-2000, 12:05 AM
Noticed that a couple of your wifes cut hair and trim bushes make me wonder what a bush with a bufont looks like.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
10-09-2000, 12:37 AM
Girlfriend for me. She doesn't directly help in the business, but she just listens and nods when I repeat myself over and over and over and over again and also when I whine about evil customers. She's just great to have a someone who will always be behind me. Morale is very important in a two man company.

Jerrys Lawn Service
10-09-2000, 01:07 AM
My wife has been helping me for about 4 years now after quiting her 30k a year job, and when I asked he what she was going to do next, she replied I'll come cut grass with you!We've been working together ever since.I think she does a great job and she can use a walkbehind or a ztr as good as anyone,I'm very proud of her and he job performance.

Charles
10-09-2000, 09:33 AM
Hey Lawrence, someones gotta plan ahead for some of these people lol

Stinger
10-09-2000, 01:07 PM
No, her stripes suck and I can't get her to ride the jungle wheels. But she does respect what I do from 7 to 7 daily. She is currently a college student and will graduate in seven months.

tpirobert
10-09-2000, 10:49 PM
"What a gal!" That's what customer said when my wife showed up to mow after I had secured contract. She worked first 3 years of business and was big help. The key for me was to give her as much freedom as possible to do the job and not look over her shoulder. Now in 12th year of business and "downsized", she may come back on board. The plus of wife working elsewhere is getting on health insurance and the seperate income. If your wife wants to join business....give it a try.

eslawns
10-09-2000, 11:25 PM
So far in a little less than 2 weeks, she has taken over all the admin stuff, running errands, returning calls and scheduling jobs and quotes. Beside all that, she handles all the family stuff I've done for the last 5 years so she wouldn't need to "take off from work" and I even had a chance to go fishing this week. I'm not concerned about insurance or other "benefits" offered, there are comparable plans available for self employed. It does feel good to be able to stay caught up. My only concern now is the winter.

Scotty
10-10-2000, 12:53 AM
When we got married 12 years ago, my wife quit her job and began working with me. She does all the office work, plows snow and runs the DC. She only works about 4 hours a week cutting, the rest of the time she is taking care of our kids. She does a great job at home and at work.

stick9
10-10-2000, 09:12 PM
It's a good thing she helps out! Really cuts the times down and lets us get ahead!

S
T
i
C
k-N
i
n
E

thelawnguy
10-10-2000, 10:31 PM
I think Stone said it best in an earlier thread, why would anyone want to use their wife as a rented mule, if you need help go hire someone.

lawrence stone
10-10-2000, 11:08 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1209854&a=9290432&p=30310741

cantoo
10-10-2000, 11:47 PM
Will the real stone step forward,, nice treadmill. I have amish neighbours who use one on a regular basis. I think the other pic looks more like you.

yardsmith
10-11-2000, 12:03 AM
my wife is more stubborn than I am, & more detail oriented too.
Stone you're just jealous cuz you don't have a woman.
My wife CHOSE to help me after I started my biz, & ran the ZTR while I trimmed & did small stuff. Now she takes care of our 2 boys & comes to visit us on the route, answer phones, pay bills, etc. She even does landscaping to help out when we get behind.
Our local TGI Fridays had a MAJOR inspection last week from a VP, & we both put in a ton of hours. I couldn't have done it with out her; we make a good TEAM (isn't that what part of marriage is about-teamwork?).
Anyways, we scored a 100%!!!!!!!!! We did better than the Gen. mgr. & all their employees on the inside-they only scored an 86%.
Score one for the green guys!!!!!!!

KirbysLawn
10-11-2000, 12:14 AM
Well said Smitty. My ultimate goal is for my wife and I to work together full time. She is "someone"; someone who I trust, some who cares about the end result, someone who is already trained, someone who will not steal, someone who will take care of equipment, and someone I would like to work with during the day.

If you would treat your wife like a slave or a rented mule, that's your problem. As for me, I treat my wife like a partner and a co-owner of our business.

Ray

yardsmith
10-11-2000, 12:17 AM
Other important benefits:
Usually don't have to worry about stealing things or time
Don't have to wait for them to show up to start work
You get to keep the money in the family to pay off bills/etc.!!!!! or spend it as you like

jaclawn
10-11-2000, 08:18 AM
Stone- Would that setup pull a tow behind aerator?

jasonp
10-11-2000, 07:23 PM
My wife helps me she real good at pulling weeds. Its hard for me to pull weeds due to back surgey ealier this year but shes a big help when i need it.Shes a rn and has her own full time job doesnt really have time for me and the biz.