PDA

View Full Version : Separate phone line?

stick9
10-08-2000, 02:01 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but how many people DO NOT have a designated phone line for their business(ie. main home phone takes BOTH business and personal calls). Obviously, this is aimed towards the people who run the company from their home. Also, how imperative is it to have caller ID if you do not have a telephone specifically for work or private calls?

STICK-NinE

KirbysLawn
10-08-2000, 02:11 AM
I have a 2nd line in my home as a ring plus number. I have been using my nextel more and more and may convert that to my regular business phone, just not sure yet.

HOMER
10-08-2000, 02:11 AM
If you have a yellow page ad (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) you have to have abusiness line. The cost for the "business" line in my area is around $80.00 per month. It is in my house along with my personal line, both have caller I.D. which really comes in handy when you don't want to talk to the caller.

Homer

dmk395
10-08-2000, 02:12 AM
This may sound funny but I use a cell phone for business. The new digital phones come in as good as a land line, plus voice mail and caller id are standard. I never miss messages, can access them in my truck, and can make calls from my truck. Basically I have a virtual office when you add in the lap top.

sunrise
10-08-2000, 07:59 AM
we have 3 lines into the house
1. personal
2. bussiness
3. fax/computer (teen line $15.00 a month)

plus 2 cellar phones with 500 hr. per month per phone $39.00 for both

[Edited by sunrise on 10-08-2000 at 11:03 AM]

Bubba5
10-08-2000, 09:05 AM
500 hours per month? or 500 minutes? if its hours let me know who you're getting it from,i want some of that!

osc
10-08-2000, 09:26 AM
2nd phone line for the puter, fax on each line, pager and cell phone. All of this is surprisingly affordable.

Pauls Mowing
10-08-2000, 11:34 AM
We use the personal line for business, have a second line for computer/fax. We also use a cell phone a lot.

Paul

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 12:05 PM
I'm with you on that deal too. Tell us more Sunrise, because even 1000 minutes for that price is good. We have 2 cell phones, a regular phone line and we use DSL for the puter. With all these posts every day I needed to load them as fast as possible so I have time to read them all. ;)

Charles
10-08-2000, 12:15 PM
I have 2 numbers on one phone. 1 rings diferently. No extra charge. Call forwarding etc. I love caller id. A call out of my service are I don't usually answer. Usually can tell by the prefexes. Call by a long winded customer I dont answer if its at a bad time( like when I am eating). I wish I had that great deal on a cell phone like above. I get 200 free min for 35$. They have unlimited for 49$ with altel

TGCummings
10-08-2000, 12:43 PM
I use the personal line at home for business and have an extra phone line for the computer. Also have the Nokia which I prefer for Voice Mail, etc.

Been thinking of getting a seperate line at home for business, with a single phone in the office. That way I can let it ring all weekend... ;)

-TGC

Samurai WeedWacker
10-08-2000, 01:01 PM
One line for all uses. Got Pagoo on-line answering service to take calls when websurfing.

Chuck Sinclair
10-08-2000, 01:13 PM
Seperate line for the biz in the office. I use a smart switch on the same line for my fax 2 cell phones 300 peak/FREE evening and weekends $65.00 for both.

stick9
10-08-2000, 02:10 PM
Hey Paul and TGcummings ..

Since you only have 1 line for the business end, what do you do about people who call for the service too late (like after a certain time... say .. 10 or 10:30 .. especially if you have kids). I mean, with a separate line in the office, like someone else previously stated 'it could ring all weekend'. But with only 1 line, it would be going off wherever you have a phone. On another note, do you keep a telephone in your bedroom in case of a family emergency or similar situation? I would be highly irritated if a customer called either VERY early or VERY late to tell me something.

That's also very interesting about having distinctive rings for both personal and business calls. Sounds like a good way to alleviate some problems, but it would still be ringing in your room, or all over your home WHENEVER someone called.

sTiCk-ninE

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 04:21 PM
i use my home line for business and a cell phone

sunrise
10-08-2000, 07:52 PM
ok ok I am not always right but I am never wrong.
500 min instead of 500 hr
shoot me

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 08:02 PM
We can't do that until you tell us who you get 500 minutes on each phone for that price? Sure beats the deal I get on 2 phones.

sunrise
10-08-2000, 08:13 PM
cellar one
One of the owners lives in Alex. Va and sometimes needs a lawn trim. But who better then me and I also helped redo his home.
Its a rough live but I love it

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 08:27 PM
We mow the President of Motorola's lawn. Maybe I can get some radios. :D

TLS
10-08-2000, 08:39 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a home line with Caller ID and Call Waiting ID. Caller ID phones throughout the house. Regular answering machine on desk.

I have a business/computer line that I have the phone company's (invisible) answering machine which answers even now when I'm on the computer! The customer doesn't know if I'm home or away. It also has caller ID and when I'm talking, and the other line beeps in, I look on the handset and decide whether or not to answer. If not, the (invisible) machine picks up.

Technology is great!

gene gls
10-08-2000, 09:16 PM
One phone line, home and business. Cell phone in the truck, only turned on when I want to make a call.Putter is with AT+T Broadband. Business is not listed in any phone book,just a number on my truck. No problems with customers calling at odd hours.

stick9
10-08-2000, 09:35 PM
Hey Eric ..

I don't know what kind of luck you have had with Motorola radios, but from our experience .. they STINK!! They lose their signal SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easily .. they cut out in the middle of a conversation (you can be talking one second, and it beeps out and you lost the other person). And then we tell them the problem and Motorola says 'it's your radios' .. and then we take them in, and they say 'there's nothing wrong with your radio' and then the radios stink again. MAN! Can you give me the President of Motorolas phone number so I can give him a piece of my mind?

sTiCk-NinE

John DiMartino
10-09-2000, 06:23 PM
Im with Stick-nine,we bought motorola radio's for the golf course-spent a fortune for the base unit,4 handhelds and the satelite link so they work anywhere,They dont work 1/2 the time,always something wrong with them.I feel the best thing motorola made is the big grey flip cell phone-they are tough!i still use mine -its about 4 yrs old i cant break it,ran it over with truck many times,fell in the pond at golf course-took an hr to find it-let it dry for a week-still works.It even flew out the window if my truck going down the road,still works.I had bought the newer digital one in january-i took it back its a POS,no signal,weak reception.I had them turn on my old one and its still good as new.

stick9
10-09-2000, 09:53 PM
Hey Dim ...

Sounds like you have a good radio. Does that have the instant contact, or is it just a phone? We canNOT STAND these stupid radios!!

STIck-ninE

eslawns
10-09-2000, 11:40 PM
My office is at my house, but it isn't IN my house. I built a 10x12 shed and put in heat and AC. Between that and the garage, work is at work. Separate line, pager and cell. My home number is listed, but if clients call me on it I ask them not to do it again. I want to list my cell number, but am waiting for the phone co. to come up with something so that we can buy the number, so if we change to different provider, the number doesn't change. I have 4 teenagers, so I never get a chance to answer the phone anyway. :) BTW, my wife uses a different wireless service than I do and her plan is $59/mo and it has unlimited calls. Mine is $40 for 600 min's.

stick9
10-12-2000, 09:56 PM
Sounds like you built yourself a nice office!! AC and heat too! Must be very nice to get out there away from the 4 teenagers! :)

STICK-niNE

LJ lawn
10-12-2000, 11:15 PM
ANSWERING MACHINES: WONDERFUL INVENTION! 2 lines. 1buz. 1 home.answering machine always on with volume OFF. phone with ringer- OFF. if they want to call early or late go right ahead.i'll see the blinking light and call back. 20 bucks a month yellow page extortion fee.