PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mowers / Engine ?

Mowman
10-08-2000, 10:38 AM
If Kolher engines are so bad why doesn't Walker and other mower mfg. use the Kawasaki or the Robin engine on their mowers? I know Exmark now offers the Kaw. and Gravely offers a Robin engine over the Kolher. What are your thoughts on this subject? BOYCOTT the Kolher and maybe they will wake up the desginers at Kolher? Well maybe. I have a Kolher Command 20 on my Walker and it is pushing 600 hrs. and so far so good. I'm hoping I can get as many hours as Eric has on his, 3000 hrs. I believe. Well good luck Kolher owners.
Mowman

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 11:19 AM
3,152 hours on the hour meter now and it still purrs like a kitten, but this isn't a 25 HP, it's a 22 HP Command Kohler. I was all set to get the bigger Kohler til I heard of all the problems on this forum. I got the dependable 26 HP Yanmar diesel instead and I think it was a good choice after having one for the past 10 years in my JD.

leeslawncare
10-08-2000, 11:33 AM
whats wrong with the koler engines? must have missed that forum.I've got one one my john deere.haven't had any trouble so far .

Eric ELM
10-08-2000, 11:40 AM
Type in Kohler in the search and you will find 327 posts on them. The Kohler 25 HP has had it's share of head gasket problems. One lasted 2 hours, but most last 25 to 30 before they blow, but some last for many hours and keep on going. Not exactly sure why some blow and some don't, but it's mostly the 25 HP.

leeslawncare
10-08-2000, 11:52 AM
Thanks eric. i've got a 13hp.hope i never have any problems!

AB Lawn Care
10-08-2000, 12:42 PM
So what you are saying is that becouse 1 model had some problems,the mower companys and us should discontinue any use of that engine?????That's what i'm getting so far!I own 2 kohlers 1 is a 20hp in my walker,it has 750hrs in 2 years of work.I have not done I repair both to the walker and the engine.I also own a 14hp kohler in my scag walk-behind.I has 400hrs and has had 0 repairs to date.I fail to see how one model of kohler has made all the other models faulty in any way.I have hear of guys with 5000hrs on there kohlers on walk-behinds.Yes kawasaki is a great engine,but to say that kohler is not is a little harsh!I actually was giving the choice to pick between the kohler and the kawaski when I bought my scag.I chose the kohler becouse the parts are cheeper to buy,every dealer has parts for them and there is very little support and parts for kawaski in my area.

Just my 0.02 cents.........or 0.01 cents canadian :-)

MJB
10-08-2000, 09:06 PM
AB Lawn,
You have the good ones I have a 20 hp and a 16 hp Kohler with no problems.

Buy a 25 hp and you'll change your mind about Kohler. If you get 1 of the bad ones. Not something I will ever put my trust in again. Experience is the best teacher!

landscaper3
10-08-2000, 09:44 PM
Hey moman no fear on your Walker engine all our Walkers have Kohler motors ranging from now 30hours to over 2000 they are good motors so dont fear on your 20hp thats a good motor. We also have a Toro-Pro-Line 14 Kohler absolutly bullit proof 2800hrs starts 1st or 2nd pull And used very hard!!

HOMER
10-09-2000, 06:34 AM
One of my Choppers has the 25 and it has over 400 hours on it now...........not the first problem. My 22 hp on the other hand is the one with all the problems, runs every day but not good. I have until March before the warranty runs out and I will get it looked at by then. I wouldn't say they were bad engines though, you could get a bad anything at some point in time. If you have problems it could be a bad mechanic, thats what I have put up with.

Homer

MOW ED
10-09-2000, 08:53 AM
Mowman,
Walker does offer engine options but they are definately upgrades. The Kubota gas and diesel are offered with a significant upcharge.
Walkers low end (homeowner model) Model S has an 11hp Kawi in it.
I'm sure Mr. Walker is aware of the problems on the 25 but like someone said, they aren't all bad. They had a problem with design and unfortuantely some of their service was less than adequate. That doesn't trash the company and hopefully it will make them better. We are a large and growing voice that was not too organized until the Internet and in my opinion Lawnsite. We make the difference. Good Luck.

Eric ELM
10-09-2000, 09:20 AM
When I talked to a Rep from Dixie Chopper and I brought up the subject of the 25 HP Kohler he said that Kohler is aware of the problem and so is Dixie Chopper, but that the 25 HP engine is their single most sold engine on a DC, go figure. In most of the 90's Kohler was the only engine you could get in them, but they now have 3 other engine options.

I bought a new 79 Ford Bronco that had the 400 engine in it and after the warrantee run out, the crank shaft went bad. I had it overhauled, it went bad again. I got a new short block, it went bad again. This is the only engine I've had problems with in any Ford I've owned, but I still run Fords, just not the 400 engine in it. I should have just put a 351 in it.

John DiMartino
10-09-2000, 05:40 PM
When I bought my DC in April 2000,every DC there except the homeowner models,had the 25 Hp on them.The only exception is was the XW2600 diesel they had.So if you wanted the top of line and not a diesel,you had to get the 25 or order a lower power model.When i bought mine they swore that the headgaskets had been updated and it was in its 3rd yr of production,and they were all fixed.That is why i bought the 25.Dealer also said most people who bought the 20 or 22HP were not happy with the power,that was why they wouldnt order them for stock,without a deposit.I agree with them about power I wouldnt want any less than i have now.I have had the same old trouble with my updated engine.