PDA

View Full Version : (of topic) Anyone try carpet cleaning?

bdemir
10-08-2000, 11:59 AM
Sorry for the off topic question. This forum gets so much traffic i figured it would be a great place to ask.
Im thinking of getting into the carpet cleaning business for a winter income and would appreciate any advice. Please email me if possible. Thanks

Likestomow
10-08-2000, 02:09 PM
Hey bedemir,

I'm kicking around some ideas too for winter income. Are you thinking of working as an employee or are you planning to go and buy some equipment?

Scag48
10-08-2000, 03:20 PM
Good idea. It costs quite a bit to have someone come and do it. My dad is always telling us to take our shoes off when we come into the house and how expensive it is to have the carpet cleaned. The equipment is pretty expensive though. I have a friend whose dad has a carpet cleaning biz. He says some of the equipment they have is pretty expensive. What happens when someone calls you in the summer and wants their carpet cleaned? How would you do that? Would you sacrifice a weekend?

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-08-2000, 04:01 PM
Bad Idea boys....One of my Employees owns a Carpet cleaning business and his is the most busy in the spring and fall and that is when the lawn industry is at its peak..he helps me with lawncare in the summer and does his jobs at night and on the weekends. winter is one of the slowest seasons, people just figure they will wait until spring cleaning then have the carpets cleaned. The cost of the equipment is extreme. he had a 20hp kohler rig and it ran him 25,000...plus a cargo van 15,000. plus the cost of supplys and everything else is so expensive. u have to keep the rig heated at all times or else the water in the tanks will freeze...It is a great full-time business but it wouldnt be a great winter oppurtunity.....I am thinking about investing into a tanning salon within the next few years for some winter income.

MIDSOUTH
10-08-2000, 04:03 PM
i've been also thinking of what else i can do in the winter-but when mowing time starts next year i will not have time to keep doing whatever extra i start this winter.

cantoo
10-08-2000, 04:43 PM
Buy the equipment used and only do the work when you want to. We usually just rent a water system and only do our normal customers as an extra service. We also do shingling on single storey houses, interior house cleaning and anything else that we feel we can do.

lawrence stone
10-08-2000, 05:01 PM
Carpet cleaning is not a repeat business. You need customers to buy on at least a monthly basis. Too much one shot running all over town chasing your tail for dimes.

Plus too much competition and very little profit margin.

In the past when I needed income I would work for $9/hour loading trucks (outbound) at a local distribution center for a very large dept. store. Work like this is good for the body and comforting to the soul. And requires no investment and you can quit whenever.

EDL
10-08-2000, 05:14 PM
I am thinking about it, there is a van and equip. for 4K in a car trader. not like lawncare there is not enough lawn care competition to compete with. i figure i can at least make my money back and them some.

little green guy
10-08-2000, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna do interior house painting this winter, I figure I can probley sell it to some of my lawn customer because I've had a couple peolpe ask before. Dosn't cost to much for equipment, a couple rollers, brushes, pans ect... I have done plenty off painting before so why not. Oh yah I'm also going to do exterior christmas decorating too, hang lights and stuff.

bdemir
10-08-2000, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice. I am desperate to find something that is desired not only in summer. I dont like the idea of being trapped all winter. Oh well i guess ill have to do drywall work again. I dread it.

Runner
10-08-2000, 06:49 PM
bdemir, (I'm sorry, I forgot your name) If you have a hookup on doing drywall this winter, I think that's awesome! Moneys great! I envy you. Me, I think I'm going to work at Home Depot for the winter. Seems like something that would be enjoyable.

accuratelawn
10-08-2000, 07:18 PM
I used to think...what am i going to do in the winter??
Make this one the only winter you work for someone. Spend your time thinking, studying, planning to make your lawn care business more profitable. If you can make $X working 7 to 8 months in the field, and use the "down time" to regroup, repair, and plan for the next season, you will be better off!
I worked at Best Buy two winters ago. Got up a 4am to stock shelves for $7 per hour. I made a big $500 in the off season for my troubles. After reading several posts here, rethinking, my business, and planning that small amount of income made working for someone was earned during the season.
I truely believe that you can make it without "working" the off season. Get your pesticide license, take some classes at a community college, repair your equipment, hustle some great accounts, time spent doing this will return far more than working for peanuts for another company.

slingshot
10-08-2000, 08:53 PM
so what most of you guys are saying is you are going to go and be a scrub in anouther profession. if someone posted here that they were going to cut grass in the summer (easy money )you guys would be all over them . if you need winter income get a job for a couple of months. it doesnt make sense to say you are going to sttart a new biz for 3 months out of the year. stick to your profession and dont be jacks of all trades

osc
10-08-2000, 09:22 PM
I have a carpet cleaning biz. I started it with my lawn customers. Apartment complexes usually have their carpets steam cleaned when someone moves out of a unit. I get $60.00 for a 3 bedroom apartment that takes me an hour to clean. My customers try to group 2 or 3 apartments for a same day cleaning so I don't have to come by for just one.

Apartment complexes love to use one vendor for multiple things, so long as the service is good on everything.
As far as equipment, you can buy a portable steam extractor for less that 2 grand and a rotary bonnet cleaner for about a grand. The thing is to find some contracts that want periodic cleaning like office buidings, stores etc..

I had a contract to clean some offices for a medical group that paid $1,800 for 9 hours work that spanded over 3 evenings a month, every month. I did not bill by the hour but by the job and I had no helpers. I used about $20.00 worth of chemicals a month.
Unfortunately, the property manger left and the new guy doesn't want to keep the carpet clean so now I do it once or twice a year.
This carpet cleaning requires some expertise and I am definitely not an expert but I can get carpets clean and I've never had a complaint about the quality of my work. I've made a few bucks at this but it does tend to get in the way of lawn and landscape work.

Good luck!

bdemir
10-08-2000, 11:03 PM
Slingshot i have a need to leave during summer and want to make a transition toward a winter income. My love is not lawncare its to travel in the summer and work in the winter. Osc how busy are you during winter. Is it hard to get work between november and march.