PDA

View Full Version : diesel 4x4's - DODGE vs FORD

A1 Grass
09-01-2003, 12:20 PM
This thread is NOT to start an argument!

I currently have a '92 Cummins D250 2wd. Many of you may have read my numerous posts about "how can I level/lift my truck".

If I can't do what I want to the truck I have, I may consider getting the 4x4 version of my Dodge OR I might consider a later model Ford 4x4 Crew cab.

How do the 2 compare? Mileage? Dependablilty? Etc?

Gravel Rat
09-02-2003, 02:06 AM
If you really want a crew cab your out of luck with Dodge they never did make a crewcab truck and the new 03 Crew cab is a glorified ext cab.

How much do you want to spend ?

What do you plan on doing with the truck ?

I'am a Ford man I wouldn't switch brands I have had good luck with them I make part of my living with my truck so it has tobe reliable and tough.

Is this your current truck your first Dodge ?

If not and you have had good luck with Dodge trucks go for another one if your worried about making the wrong decision.

I don't know where Randy is but he is a Dodge guy he would know what to look for in the Dodge trucks and what years to buy.

With Fords if you want PSD power and money isn't a concern go with a 99-2002 Superduty they are good trucks. If money is a bit tight and you still want a PSD I'am told the 96-97 is the best years but anything from 95-97 is good. The 94 is the first year for the PSD or the DI engine they also offered the 7.3 IDI with Fact turbo.

The 88-93 Fords are 7.3 IDI N/A are mechanical engines they are slow like the old 5.9 12 valve Cummins get fairly good mileage easy to work on. You put a turbo on a 7.3 IDI it wakes them up and will give you sufficient power it wouldn't be the same power as a 2002 PSD.

Good Luck

Grassmechanic
09-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Just wait till 2006/7. Ford will be using the Cummins engines then.

Mudmower
09-02-2003, 07:49 AM
In your dreams Grassmechanic!!!!!!!:D . Ford WISHES it had the MIGHTY Cummins.

PPPSSSSTTTT..........Ford does NOT own Cummins, never have never will. They owned a small percentage of stock back about 10 years ago. This percentage has been reduced to almost nothing (I would have to look at year end statements to verify EXACT amount, but under 1%).

A1, go with a 1st Gen. 4x4. Your current ride is a 1st Gen (89-93), just look for a 4x4. Check Autotrader.com, they show up around you from time to time.

Good Luck!!!!!

Grassmechanic
09-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Sorry to inform you, but Ford bought Cummins several years back. Dodge is going to a 5 cyl Mercedes diesel. That engine is getting 30 MPG and close to the same HP and Torque of the Cummins. This come from an engineer friend of mine that is in engine design at DaimlerChrysler.

rkbrown
09-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Mudmower is correct about Ford's interest/ownership in Cummins. Cummins and CAT engines are options for F-650 and larger.

Randy J
09-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Mike, you need to check your source - they're no good! Ford sold their shares of Cummins about 10 years ago, and now owns none of Cummins. There have been rumors galore about a MB diesel in Dodge, but Cummins has a contract to 2007.
As for the diesels, like GravelRat said, if you want a true crew cab, you pretty much have to look at Ford or GM, especially in older ones. As for which is better, that's a topic of hot debate (right Gravel?:)) I presonally prefer the straight 6 Cummins over the more complicated V8 Powerstrokes, and would be willing to sacrifice a little on the cab for the engine - although for me the Dodge isn't a sacrifice. The 1st gen Dodges, 89 - 93 are the lowest in power, but the easiest to upgrade - within limits. The '94 to '97 got progressively stronger, with the manuals having more ponies than the autos. Again, these engines are very easy to modify (for more HP and more mileage), and the liimits are much greater than the 1st gens. They also have the more reliable mechanical fuel pump, but suffer from Killer Dowel Pin syndrome. There's an assembly dowel pin at the front of the engine that has been know to make its way loose upon occasion. That is fairly rare and there is a fix for it. The '98 (mid year) - 2002 are great trucks, with nearly unlimited horsepower potential. However, they are prone to trouble with the fuel pump. As for 4X4, none of them are trouble prone, and of course the manuals are better for pulling than the autos.
As for mileage, the 1st gens seem to run in the low to mid 20's, the 2nd gen (94 - 97) seem to run just a tick lower, and the 3rd gen (98 - 02) are a little lower still, and not quite as dependable in mileage from truck to truck. I managed to get around 19mpg on mine, with oversized tires up to 160,000 miles when I traded it off.
With either a Ford, Dodge or Chevy for that matter, you'll get a truck that will work great from you. I will say I'd trust a high mileage Cummins more than the other 2 though.
Good luck.

Randy

A1 Grass
09-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Excellent answers and very little bloodshed!

The fact is the ONLY thing that bothers me about my current Dodge is the nose-down look. If my Super duty springs bring up the front I will be somewhat happy.

BUT NOBODY MAKES ANY LIFT-TOYS FOR MY TRUCK! AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Keith
09-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Info is right on about Ford not owning any of Cummins, but I am shocked how many people have heard that they do :o If there is still a question, read here (http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/customerassistance/faq/answers.cfm?uuid=000C518F-094B-1E31-850880C4A8F00000)

Brickman
09-07-2003, 02:01 PM
LOL its been a long time since I heard the "Ford is going to Cummins" story. :D And its not true. Like was said, Ford used to own a SMALL stock in them, but sold it long ago.

Actually if you go to south america you can get the cummins in the current body style. Well thats what I've been told. Who knows if that is any more reliable than the cummins story.

Grassmechanic
09-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Ok, checked with my engineer friend. Here's the scoop according to what he's heard. Dodge will not be using Cummins after '07. Their contract to supply Dodge with engines expires then, and it's not going to be renewed. Dodge will be using the Mercedes diesels. GM has long term contracts with it's supplier for diesels. The belief is that Ford will be using Cummins engines after '07 because of ongoing problems with the Powerjokes. Now, this is what my buddy heard, and it could be just rumors, but he's been right on other inside company moves in the past. Soooo, I guess we'll have to revisit this thread in 4 yrs. and see what happens.

Currier
09-08-2003, 10:17 PM
I just bought a 2000 psd with a 10ft flatbed dump. I love the way the truck works. We had a ramp built to take us from trailer to truck bed and life is good! :)

My only problem is that the truck was used hard before I bought it and I'm sure I'll be sinking some tune up money into it come this winter. Right now it is very hard to start first thing. Once you have it running it has no problems the rest of the day. Not real sure why it is such a beast to start but hope it will be not too much $$$$.

Grassmechanic
09-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Currier - Glowplugs. I've dealt with the problem before, that's why I now have a Cummins - no glow plugs!

Randy J
09-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Mike's right on that one Currier, although I'd replace the glow plug relay first. That's very common on Powerstrokes. Man you should have checked with me first. I have a '97 F350 Dually, long wheelbase, with a 12' flatbed I want to sell. Things didn't work like I'd hoped, and I have no need for this much truck anymore. It's fairly high mileage (160,000) but is in excellent shape. I was going to put a dump hoist on the bed, but...

Randy

Currier
09-09-2003, 09:12 PM
I really like this truck. I had looked for probably two + years. I had checked the internet, truck trader, local ads...whenever I went on vacation I was scanning to find a truck. The day I saw this one I knew it was the right one. It looks brand new and the only negetive is the initial starting. I have a great mechanic that is going to work on it after leaf season.

I checked on a comparable one the other day although it wasn't extend cab but only had 14,000 miles and they wanted 29500.00
I figure the dream truck at $16,500.00 is a pretty good deal

Randy J
09-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Doesn't sound bad. And the hard starting problem isn't a major problem, just get used to it. Some trucks seem to never have a glow plug or relay problem, while others seem to go through 1 relay a year.

Randy

LawnPerfect
09-16-2003, 10:38 AM
please allow me to weigh in on this issue. up untill sept 1 when i took the plunge into lawn care i was a service advisor for a blue oval ford dealership. i have always been and will always be a ford guy. yes i do bleed ford blue. i know everyone around this area that runs ford for hot shot and work. everyone was happy until the 6.0 psd replaced the 7.3 psd. now not too many are happy. the engine runs great right up until it breaks. lol. it was a bad design and ford is scrambling to create a way to fix it. if youre buying used then by all means buy the 7.3 psd. but if youre buying new (like i hope to do early next year) then take a long look at the dodge. minimum service life of 400k miles. great engines.

ProMo
09-16-2003, 04:49 PM
im looking to replace my f150 in the next week or so im looking for a crew cab should have about 21k cash to play with but all im seeing in that range have 80k + miles

Mudmower
09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
If it's a Dodge, 80k is nothing. I sold my 92 with 285,000 miles to a LCO and I see them in it all the time. I had installed injectors and a different hot side on the turbo and it would pull great. The LCO had two other 93's and they wanted me to make them run like the 92 I sold them. I told them what to buy and assisted with the install and those guys were stoked :blob3: . All of their trucks have 200,000+ miles and they love them.

I'm not saying a Ford could not do the same, I'm just telling of my experience. It the truck has not been absolutely trashed 80k is nothing for a diesel.

P.S. Ford or Dodge, if it has an auto trans. have it checked out if possible by a tranny shop you trust. That is about the only weak link on the Dodge. The Ford trans. is actually a little better in my experience. That said, the 92 mentioned above had the ORIGINAL trans in it. Just changed the fluid every 15,000 and NEVER pulled any weight below 60 mph with the trans in Over drive.

sodzilla
09-24-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm actually not starting the lawn care business till 2004, I've been working the last 8 years as a cattle buyer here in Wisconsin. I have accumulated close to 900,000 miles working six days a week (between 400 and 475 miles per day). The first year I had a '95 Chevy 6.5 L diesel, nothing but junk. Got a '97 Ford F250 with the power stroke. 200,000 miles no problem. Then a '99 F250 power stroke, only problem was torque converter. That truck was sold with 280,000 miles. I also had a '01 F250 extended cab, no problems with that one. Just sold it with 285,000 miles. I currently have a '03 F350 with the new 6.0L and new torque shift transmission, besides a few minor computer problems, no real problems with this truck either. Got the truck the last week in December '02 and just turned 82,000 miles on it today. As you can see I drive way too much, that's why I'm getting out of the cattle business and hoping to make it in the lawn care business. So my vote goes for Ford!

p.s. I know some guys that used to have Dodges years ago for hauling cattle, all have Fords now