PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Season Begins!

Arnold
09-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Went out today and shot some Blue Grouse. We saw a bunch of blues, a friend and I shot our limit of three a piece by 9:00am. Looks like this season should be better than last. Anyone else hunt blues?

dvmcmrhp52
09-01-2003, 08:28 PM
No blues but i'm ready for some ruffed grouse hunting.
Can't wait to get back out to your neck of the woods soon either.
Loved it both times out.

pinnacle
09-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Hunt big boars (Pigs) and somtimes roo's (Kangaroo) here mate but nuna this flying stuff.

bobbygedd
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
do u eat kangaroos?

pinnacle
09-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Somtimes mate.
But I'd take a steak over roo meat any day.

geogunn
09-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by pinnacle
Hunt big boars (Pigs) and somtimes roo's (Kangaroo)....

how hard is it to hunt a kangaroo?

GEO

broken leg
09-04-2003, 02:59 AM
Doves were in the air every were but were I was Monday. Maybe I will have better luck Saturday.

NYRookie
09-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Leaving next Saturday for Maine for 1 week of bear hunting. I have hunted bear around here, but this will be my first hunting trip out of state. I won the trip so all I have to pay for is my gas and bear tag. I'll let you know how it goes.

dcondon
09-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by NYRookie
Leaving next Saturday for Maine for 1 week of bear hunting. I have hunted bear around here, but this will be my first hunting trip out of state. I won the trip so all I have to pay for is my gas and bear tag. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sure you will do good !!!!!! I moved to Michigan 4 years ago from Maine. There are lots of bear and moose.............which part of Maine are you going????

CMLLawnServices
09-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Goose, just started yesterday , and i`m goin insane. I can`t wait to get out there and down some honkers. I`m also gonna get some with the bow:D its legal here and i`m gonna enjoy the attempt.

NYRookie
09-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Dcondon,
I'm going to Smyrna Mills, about 100 miles north of Bangor.

Brickman
09-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Arnold I have late season white tail and antelope already.

My brother drew a moose tag for the west side of the state. He's going in about two weeks. I plan on going general deer hunting with him, and if he ends up going back in Oct after his hunters come to the ranch I will go for a general elk.
I can't wait. I haven't gotten any thing in the last two years, freezer is empty.

Arnold
09-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Brickman,
I'll be hunting general deer and elk this year too. Last year got a 5x6 mule deer with a 22 inch spread, lost out on elk, hunted an unfimiliar area for cows but we saw alot of moose. Going to try and draw a tag for that area next year for a moose. I will hunt geese, ducks and pheasants this year also. Going back up to hunt some blue grouse again on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone going hunting this season! And be Carefull!

dcondon
09-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by NYRookie
Dcondon,
I'm going to Smyrna Mills, about 100 miles north of Bangor.

I have been there......... Good hunting and a nice place!!!

pinnacle
09-07-2003, 12:02 AM
how hard is it to hunt a kangaroo?

Geogunn: It depends what sort of hunting ya doing
(sport/ government cull) but generally there pretty easy to hunt.
I've been on big roo culls out west (government eradication program for troubled farmers) and we shot em from up in choppers. (real easy)
I prefer to hunt boar personally (real mans hunting) No guns involved (except a 308 bolt action for any emergency), just a 30cm hunting knife, an old ute (truck) and some good boar area.
Boars are fast, we chase them through the scrub with a raised 4WD with a bull-bar ( gota be a bloody good driver) and try to get right long side it and jump of the back of the ute on to the boars back and slit it's throat. Thats the way things are done down here.
Boars have tusks and my uncle got gored in the guts last season. (ugly sight) 22 stiches to hold his guts in.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-07-2003, 12:49 AM
u guys are nuts if i can catch the boar with a truck then it would have Goodyear on its back not me
happy hunting

Brickman
09-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Arnold
Brickman,
I'll be hunting general deer and elk this year too. Last year got a 5x6 mule deer with a 22 inch spread, lost out on elk, hunted an unfimiliar area for cows but we saw alot of moose. Going to try and draw a tag for that area next year for a moose. I will hunt geese, ducks and pheasants this year also. Going back up to hunt some blue grouse again on Tuesday. Good luck to everyone going hunting this season! And be Carefull!

Good luck drawing moose. It took my brother a lot of years of pref points to get that area. G&F told me once that there are about 15,000 applications a year in WY for 1500 licenses. Thats for moose.

geogunn
09-08-2003, 05:59 PM
Geogunn: It depends what sort of hunting ya doing....

...we chase them through the scrub with a raised 4WD with a bull-bar ( gota be a bloody good driver) and try to get right long side it and jump of the back of the ute on to the boars back and slit it's throat. Thats the way things are done down here.
Boars have tusks and my uncle got gored in the guts last season. (ugly sight) 22 stiches to hold his guts in.

thanks pinnacle. it reminds me of one of the crocadile dundee movies.

have you guys got any pics of the boar hunting operation? my amogos here and I are going to set up a hunt like that after the leaves fall. I am afraid we are going to have to use 4-wheelers though. there's too many trees and hills for a big 4X4. thanks.

GEO

kris
09-13-2003, 12:59 AM
only in canada eh

bobbygedd
09-13-2003, 08:33 AM
i hunted bare once, got arrested for being naked in public. so lets see, u chase them down, jump on thier back, and slit thier neck with a knife. and this, is "entertainment"? pray brother, pray. and please, take the prozac, the doctor gave it to you for a reason.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-13-2003, 09:05 AM
that billboard is great

pinnacle
09-13-2003, 07:35 PM
and this, is "entertainment"? pray brother, pray. and please, take the prozac, the doctor gave it to you for a reason.

I live in a different country bobby.As hard as that might be to believe for a shallow Jersey boy that probably hasn't even left the States before.We do alot of different stuff to keep entertained down under What do you do for "entertainment"?? Play with ya self all day??

bobbygedd
09-13-2003, 07:54 PM
well, no, not ALL day, it takes 5 min, then i move on. for entertainment, i do really weird sh*t, u know, like go fishin, go to the track, go to movies, u know, its a bit more barbaric than stabbing another living creature to death, for nothing but fun, but, its what we do here "in the states" . do u guys have public hangings, "down under?"

pinnacle
09-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Nah no public hangings bobby but there might be an exception in your case.

Mate I go Sking every winter and I do alot of moto X at club level . I love fishing and 4WD too. I like to hunt boar, It gets my blood, adrenilan pumping. I is a release for me. I'm sure if you came hunting with us you would love it too.
Each to there own.....hey?

pinnacle
09-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Heres some boar hunting pics for yous

My cousin Dave and his pig dogs with a kill

pinnacle
09-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Little feral Pig fighting with our dogs

pinnacle
09-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Crazy as a cut snake uncle with a Kill

bobbygedd
09-13-2003, 10:46 PM
god damn boy, that last pic looks a little like my wifes mother. know what gets my blood pumping? a couple of austrailian chics goin "down under", i just keep tellin them, "watch the knife sister, watch the knife." i understand u r from a different part of the world, but, i got to ask, are you the first generation, in your tribe, to live outside of caves? not for nothing, but out of self defense, id carve the eyes out of anybodys skull, if i were starving, id hunt an animal with a knife, or broken glass for that matter, but for "kicks", or pleasure, well, we just dont do that in the civilized world.

pinnacle
09-14-2003, 01:11 AM
god damn boy, that last pic looks a little like my wifes mother :D :D :D HA HA HA HA

You got me rollin Bobby............Thanks mate, I almost fell of my chair. Uncle pete is one ugly mother, hey:)

Guns are for whimps bobby or guys with little di#ks . I Would only use one if my life was in danger .

We hunt and we eat most of what we kill and in some circumstances we get paid a price on each pig we kill.

I would get sh#t board of the hunt if It were as easy as taking aim and pulling a trigger

As I said, each to there own matey.

pinnacle
09-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Dingo

Ask a mod to remove if it offends anybody

pinnacle
09-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Dad and my brother sam :)

geogunn
09-14-2003, 02:10 AM
pinacle--thanx for posting the pix and narratives.

I don't think that our pigs are as big as those in your pics.

ours are the european inport variety. they were brought in about 100 years ago.

near where I am, they are protected except for contract harvest. that is, no hunting for the general public in the national park.

but outside...some beer...some silver loudmouth and bring on the four wheelers! somebody is gonna dig a pit tonight!

GEO

kerrazy
09-14-2003, 02:40 AM
Send them giant canadians my way....teal season just started, not many flying yet. "Call em, Cut em, Take em!!

pinnacle
09-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Geogunn: I thought ya might like them pics mate.

We go boar hunting around the cape york peninsula Queensland ( OZ 's most northerly point) and as you can see in pic 4 with the Dingo its open sort of scrub land where we hunt them so the 4WD are great, I wish I had some pics of the actual hunt but its a little hectic when Its going down to be takin pics.
If the bush around you is thick ATV's would be perfect.
Good luck to ya mate I hope you guys have as much fun as we do :)
Oh yeh don't forget to bring a S#it load of beer

bobbygedd
09-14-2003, 10:16 AM
"guns are for guys with little d*cks?" that cant be true, i have no gun, and i still got a little weinie. anyhow, i aint messin with you people from down under, you are craaaaazzzzzzy, every one of you. hey, i never met an ausie chic, are they nice looking? i guess they would have blonde hair?

DUSTYCEDAR
09-14-2003, 11:40 AM
talk about x-games u guys make all our sports look bad
have u done any bow hunting not as extreme as your version but not as easy as a gun. why do the dogs in the pics look scarer then the boar i would not want them latched on to my azz
good luck with the hunts.

Arnold
10-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, got back from hunting deer on Friday shot a 2 point (2x2) mule deer. Doidn't see many big bucks this year. The first day I turned down two 4 point bucks. Then saw nothing but small bucks and does on day 2. My hunting buddy got a 4x5 and his dad got a 5 point. We did have a great time, hoping to get a large bull elk on the 19th. How is everyone else doing this season. Oh, got 2 nice hen mallards the other day on the course.

mtdman
10-08-2003, 06:48 PM
I've never been hunting, I think I would like to go. The part that turns me off is the cleaning of the animal. Yeck. I can't stand blood.

tiedeman
10-08-2003, 07:20 PM
nice pics pinnacle

parkwest
10-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Nice photos pinnacle. Makes me want to take a trip down there just to help you guys out with the hogs and the beer.

Scotlawncare
10-09-2003, 03:39 PM
pinnacle,

Are those dogs pit bulls? If so they make some Fine hunting dogs. Brother in law has a couple and they track wounded deer better than alot of others.

Nice pics. and i will have to say that i'm not that big of a man to jump on a pigs back. being born in Arkansas we had razorbacks which are pretty nasty like what you have. i'd bow hunt them but if i was on the ground i'd make sure i had a way up a tree fast. They get real pissed when you miss them.

Scot

Arnold
10-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Bagged my Antelope on Sunday got it all made into breakfast sausage and oh is it GOOD!

pinnacle
10-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Are those dogs pit bulls?

Those dogs are mungrells............good for nothing except pigging.

I don't know the breed but there awfull animals........We just call em pig dogs.

My uncle had to put down 5 of them last year when he went into their pen to feed em and they all atacked him!!

I was like they'd been planing it or somthing cause it wasn't just one.

To be honest the dogs I am very cautiouse when I am around them........a little scard even.

I'm going out west to hunt Bulock at the end of the year...........Can't wait :)

Phishook
10-18-2003, 03:37 AM
Just the old white tail for me. No Bow, just shot gun, and maybe muzel loader.
I'd like to get around to getting an AL moose, or a western elk.

Arnold
10-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Went out Elk hunting this morning. I would say this will be the hardest elk season yet, it was 76 degrees and no sign of elk. We usually have snow on the ground. Looks like we will have to wait till it gets cold or the snow flys.

dvmcmrhp52
10-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Yep tough hunting out there in that kind of weather.First time we were out it was in the 60's most of the week and did not see much action.

NYRookie
10-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Had a covering of snow this morning. Saw 3 does and a huge unknown. Be back to camp in 2 weeks after it hopefully.

Green in Idaho
10-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Geogunn: It depends what sort of hunting ya doing
(sport/ government cull) but generally there pretty easy to hunt.
I've been on big roo culls out west (government eradication program for troubled farmers) and we shot em from up in choppers. (real easy)
I prefer to hunt boar personally (real mans hunting) No guns involved (except a 308 bolt action for any emergency), just a 30cm hunting knife, an old ute (truck) and some good boar area.
Boars are fast, we chase them through the scrub with a raised 4WD with a bull-bar ( gota be a bloody good driver) and try to get right long side it and jump of the back of the ute on to the boars back and slit it's throat. Thats the way things are done down here.

Sounds like steer wrestling (without the knife and with a stop watch).

Arnold
10-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Looks like no elk for me this year. Hunted over the weekend and on Tuesday and saw no elk. Its been a weird year.

Green in Idaho
10-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Did you see my earlier pic?

from www.parkheadquarters.com

posted with permision.;)

Arnold
10-30-2003, 08:18 PM
I asked the question and got the answer. Thanks, Green in Idaho I almost forgot what they looked like.