PDA

View Full Version : width of a trailer

mr. k
09-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, I have been looking around for an open trailer and was wondering if you could help me out. I am planning on being a solo operation with the 48" WB. I was wondering what size trailer would be better. I am trying to decide between a 5X10 or a 6X10 trailer. I am not sure how tight a fit the mower will be on a 5' wide trailer, but i also dont want to get a trailer thats too big for my needs. any input would help a bunch. thanks guys.

rich

BSDeality
09-01-2003, 08:35 PM
get the biggest trailer you can accomodate, parking, streets, towing cap of your vehicle, financially, etc. If you plan on staying in the business, there are going to be times when you'll need a big trailer.

When i started out i had some 4x8 utility trailer i draggeed my 50" around with. i bought a 6x10 thinking it would be more than large enough, now i'm thinking about buying a Z, and my 6x10 ain't gonna be long enough for both my WB and my Z. My next trailer will probably be a 6.5-7x14-16 footer.

dvmcmrhp52
09-01-2003, 09:10 PM
A 48" walk behind will fit fine on a 5x10 with room to spare,But it probably won't last too long before you outgrow it.If that is what you can afford it will be fine.If you can afford something bigger you will not be sorry down the road.

turkp15
09-01-2003, 11:53 PM
My 48" Viking fits in the back of my F-150 it has a 4/8 bed on it.

Old Red
09-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Chances are that if you get the 5x10 you'll eventually wish you had the 6 foot. Your friends and relatives will probably find the begger trailer more usefull too. I bought a 6x12 in May, thinking it would meet my needs, and already I've wished I'd gone a little bigger.

GarPA
09-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Listen to these guys when they tell you to by the largest you can afford...there is very little difference in price when you get a little larger. I grew out of my enclosed trailer before the first season ended. Their advice on this is dead right on.

mr. k
09-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of you information. Looks like I am going with the 6X10. I think its only a little over $100 more and from what it sounds like, it will be well worth it in the long run. Thanks again.

Rich

CoachLinz
09-04-2003, 02:53 PM
I haul everything in the bed of my GMC pickup - 48" w/b, trimmer, blower, tools, gas cans, etc. I only cut part-time and don't have a place to park a trailer so this works well for me. Might be an idea to start working out of a truck and then add a trailer later when you need it. At that point, you will have been making money for a while and can buy a bigger/better trailer that will last you for a longer time. Good luck.

kerrazy
09-10-2003, 03:45 AM
I started out with a 5x10 and quickly outgrew it, buy the biggest trailer you can (make sure it fits in the garage). I now have a 6.5x14 and am very happy with it.