PDA

View Full Version : Give me your thoughts on my new ad

Hamons
09-02-2003, 02:36 PM
I always like to get your feedback on my advertising. Everytime I post an ad somebody gives me a helpful piece of advice.

This ad is going to be a full color postcard. I am printing up 1000 of them and will be handing them out door to door. They will be 6 x 8. The attached image shows the front and back. All said, design and printing of this ad will run me around $500

I need to add more copy in the blank area on the back. Originally we were going to do a addresses there -- but I think I have decided instead just to deliver them.

My target audience is high-end properties where the homeowners are looking for the best looking grass and are willing to pay for it. In addition to high quality turf, I also provide a personal service that is not available from other big companies.

Let me know -- I can't wait to hear your thoughts!!! What other info would be good to add?

Hamons
09-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Front

tiedeman
09-02-2003, 02:42 PM
I have to admit, that looks really sharp!!! Did you do those yourself? I might hire you on to do some of my advertising designs.

Hamons
09-02-2003, 02:43 PM
back

Hamons
09-02-2003, 02:53 PM
No - I have a graphics designer that I work with. He is very talented I think. I do what I do best and have experts do the rest.

It pays off in the long run I have found.

Thanks for your input!

proenterprises
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Hammons, that ad is top notch. I like the colors and it looks completley professional. Do you offer the weekly grass cutting or just the fert programs?

GOOD LUCK!

tiedeman
09-02-2003, 02:56 PM
thanks

yardman1
09-02-2003, 02:57 PM
That looks really good.

MacLawnCo
09-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Sharp indeed. Very well done. Let us know (see) what you do with the back free space.

Hamons
09-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Just Fert.

fblandscape
09-02-2003, 03:08 PM
That is really sharp :) There are just a few things I might suggest that you add.

1) weed and insect management, possibly the whole thing just being stated as "turf pest management?"

2) logos of any trade associations you belong to.

3) overseeding, de-thatching, soil testing, etc.

I would give the logos the most importance though.

fblandscape
09-02-2003, 03:52 PM
1 more thing. Check out what you have pluralized and what you don't.

Lawn Care Program---- no S

Lawn Renovation---- no S

Core Aerations---- S

OBKB
09-02-2003, 03:55 PM
First thing I think when I see a braodcast spreader is OH! Yuk!
I'm gonna get stuff on my feet, the children are going to get in it and the four leggers are gonna bring it in the house. You know how we city folks think don't ya. Not in your best interest in my opinion.

work_it
09-02-2003, 03:59 PM
That's sharp! Hope it ropes a lot of business for you. When you say that you're going to hand deliver these does that mean you're going to hand them to individuals door to door? If so, it also sounds like a great marketing plan. Wouldn't be suprised if you land some new accounts on the spot.

Only other thing I would add is the amount of insurance you carry along with your aplicators license number.

Team Gopher
09-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Hammons,

I would like to see another image of your ad with a different font for the "Do you want the nicest lawn.." part. Just to see how a different font would compare and contrast :)

hortboy
09-02-2003, 05:32 PM
I like the artwork, one thing you may want to consider, I know the laws here in NY require me to follow the label very closely including wearing proper protective equipment PPE. For me looking at your ad and seeing the guy in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers you may get an unwanted phone call from your local DEC . I would atleast have him wear long pants and and a long sleeve shirt and maybe a pair of rubber pull-over boots.

Just a suggestion

Turf Medic
09-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Fantastic, wouldn't change a thing.

The shorts and tennis shoes make you look more approachable, and if the local DEC is going to check you out because of your picture on the card, they aren't going to be sharp enough to be any problem.

Most of your customers aren't going to know the difference between a drop spreader and a broadcast spreader. And it looks bigger and different than the spreader their uncle bob is using

Leave the insect and weed instead of changing to turf pests, some people won't link weeds to turf pests.

If anything I might lose the s on the core areations.

I usually don't like to advertise the insurance, will provide proof if asked by the customer, but don't need to have them thinking about any possible downside of using chemicals on their lawns.

Professional logos are nice but probably aren't that important to your customers, and might make the card too busy. Right now it is direct and to the point.

bobbygedd
09-02-2003, 06:03 PM
very nice looking. but, 5 bills for 1000 pieces seems like alot of money.

BSDeality
09-02-2003, 06:05 PM
that also included the design ( i think thats what he said)

KenH
09-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by OBKB
First thing I think when I see a braodcast spreader is OH! Yuk!
I'm gonna get stuff on my feet, the children are going to get in it and the four leggers are gonna bring it in the house. You know how we city folks think don't ya. Not in your best interest in my opinion.

When I first read this response I thought it was BS, but the more I look at your ad, (and your previuos ads) the more I tend to agree. The spreader implies a fert/chemical image. You are going to get the image of "the guy with the spreader." Have you ever tried to substitute something else in the pic instead, ie a dog, or a child holding a ball??

GLAN
09-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hortboy
I like the artwork, one thing you may want to consider, I know the laws here in NY require me to follow the label very closely including wearing proper protective equipment PPE. For me looking at your ad and seeing the guy in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers you may get an unwanted phone call from your local DEC . I would atleast have him wear long pants and and a long sleeve shirt and maybe a pair of rubber pull-over boots.

Just a suggestion

Hort no doubt that add would pose a problem in New York. Pants would be the only necessity. Though if fertilizing, I don't recall the label saying anything about getting the product down your boot....:eek:

GLAN
09-02-2003, 06:20 PM
You had a different add not that long ago. What happened to that one?

Hope these are only proofs and your not paying for each....;)

Hamons
09-02-2003, 06:35 PM
$500 does include the design. Printing is around $300.

The other ad runs in a local gardening newspaper. It is currently running and getting good response. This ad is a separate ad which will be distributed door to door.

With the shorts, I was trying to give the friendly approachable feeling. Obviously I can only wear shorts when doing fertilizer only applications. I keep a pair of long pants and boots in the truck that I occasionally have to throw on when doing spot spraying.

I think showing a spreader is fine. If someone was going to be put off bya spreader coming on their lawn -- then they are probably not the right customer for me.

I struggle a little with listing of services. I don't want to add so many that it reads like a menu -- I could go on and on. Weed control, verticutting, dethatching, compost topdressing, etc etc etc.

For the blank area --- I think I am going to write real short introductory paragraph that will just state a little bit about what my business and how it can help them.

Thanks for the input fellas -- I appreciate it. Keep it coming.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-02-2003, 06:51 PM
for the open space

Free Soil Analysis
with each new 6 app contract
or something similar
i have good response with this offer and i need to take a soil sample anyway so i tell them it is free and they think they got a deal
i would however try to remove the second image of u pushing the spreader it is a little redundant great idea hope it works good luck

Black Water
09-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Looks like i can't afford you.:D No seriously, it looks very professional. Nice job.

fblandscape
09-02-2003, 07:18 PM
After reading some of the other replies about the graphics I too would suggest something like a family having a BBQ or playing ball or something like that, playing with a pet, etc. on a nice green lawn for the main photo. Have you pushing the spreader in the corner there, and have you kneeling down with the spreader on the back.

KenH
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
I didnt mean the spreader as a bad thing, it just puts out a negative image...ie. "I get your lawn green through the use of all these chemicals." After all, you are selling yourself and your knowledge, not just your ability to push a spreader and apply chemicals. Think about Dunkin Donuts having a commercial of a guy all strung out on caffeine....do you think it would be successful??? (even though we all know its the main reason we want coffee to begin with.)

Hamons
09-02-2003, 09:37 PM
I have though about your comments and I agree that is puts too much emphasis on the spreader -- and not enough on a high quality lawn. I'm going to take out me kneeling next to the spreader and replace it with me kneeling in some very lush nice grass. Same effect -- more emphasis on the lawn.

Then we are going to work the back so that it will include a few more services and a brief statement about what I can do for their lawn.

Green in Idaho
09-03-2003, 10:56 AM
I like it.

At first I thought GREAT no problems. Then I read the post about the spreader and I agree.

If that is a pic of you. That's a nice touch too. If it's not you, find a digital and be a model.

I would agree w/ a picture of you knealing in a lush turf instead. Most hiomeowners wouldn't care about spreader, sprayer, or whatever, just the lush lawn and THAT is what you are selling along with YOU.

For the blank space LEAVE IT.
1) Allows you to mail some those babies.
2) Allows a hand-written note for delivering door-to-door.

In fact get in touch with a bulk mailer and use their bulk permit. Then include the bulk permit indices in the upper right corner when you print them. THEN you can mail some and hand some out.

On the back it says somthing the way to nice lawn is quality product..... Drop the exclamation point. It's not that exciting of a statement no need for exclaming.

It's definitely professional and a great example for all.

Hamons
09-03-2003, 12:09 PM
I'd like more information on the bulk mailing option. I really don't know anything about it. Seems expensive though and would get sent to alot of houses that wouldn't even look at it anyway. Since I am solo op I alos don't want to get hit with 50,000 calls and spend all mt time running to houses for price shoppers.

What has your expereince been with bulk mailing?

I'll a search on lawnsite when I get a chance.
- jeff

Green in Idaho
09-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Perhaps in your case rather than bulk mailing, just standard mailing would work.

Throwing an address label and stamp on for 100 cards at once 3 times a year to target neighborhoods.

By printing the indices on it you are not committed to mailing them. However some bulk mailers may NOT want quantities printed if they know they are not all going to be mailed - to prevent dumping a load in the mail box without paying the postage.

Anyway IF you are interested in doing regular mailing campaigns of THOSE cards you ought to consider cost savings of bulk permit, vs stamps and the possibilities of it. By setting it up that way to begin with you can have one more option down the road for distribution of the cards.

Good luck.

JimLewis
09-04-2003, 08:47 PM
I like this new ad. Very well done. I'd still like to see the work FREE somewhere. Even if it was just "FREE Estimates!"

As for bulk mailing, we tried that one time and had very very little response. MUCH less response than door flyers. I sent out several thousand nice post-cards. I got maybe 5 calls and landed maybe 2 jobs. However, one of them was a $12,000 job. So in essence, it almost paid for itself. But still, with how many we sent out, and all of the stamps I had to apply and all of the work I did, I expected a LOT better results. Now, I am not such a big fan of mailers, obviously. I get 20-30 times the response with our nice new color door flyers.

Back to this ad - the only thing I may change from a design standpoint is possibly the pictures used. I'd take several different pictures in different poses - and some pictures not wearing your glasses - and then ask a few dozen people which pictures are most appealing. Then go with those two pictures. But I love the basic layout and design. It's excellent as is. I am just saying it could probably be a little better with some different pictures.

Hamons
09-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Here is the updated prrofs.

Front!

Hamons
09-10-2003, 12:07 PM
and the back.

I can't wait to hear what you guys -- and gals -- think!

DUSTYCEDAR
09-10-2003, 01:35 PM
LOOKS GREAT u need a space between care of hurry up and mail them

Green in Idaho
09-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Looks good.

I see the spreader was simply chopped from the photo and replaced with the logo...;)

Good use of the full back.

Before you print my rec.:

-care (space) of
-no need for "call today!" when the phone # is not there.

BACK
-The highest quality turf in Kansas City... comes from-"
-Core Aeration (no "s")\
-Call Today (no "!")

Put the two pieces together as one to make one sentence. Even with two sizes of font it conveys two messages at once.

Right now the second part (Comes from) makes no sense. As is-- the bold text is a title and the second part is yuk. Also no need for two "!" right after each other IF you combine them.

My two questions if I got this would be

1) "Do you mow?" based on Customized Lawn Care Program" How about changing to fertilizer program"

2) What about the other 25% of non organic. Drop the 75% or better yet "Organic-based fertilizer available". And when you talk to them you explain the product "75% cottonseed, and 25% urea for a booster" or whatever it is.....

Hamons
09-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all your comments,

except for a proofreading issue on the front, this is the finall product. We'll send it to the printers and start delivering asap!

Hamons
09-11-2003, 04:56 PM
and the back!

GLAN
09-11-2003, 05:27 PM
On the front

You - your lawn

Hamons
09-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Yep thats the proofreading issue.

Green in Idaho
09-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Lock and load!

Be sure to record how many responses you get directly from the card. "How did you hear about us?" kind a thing.

Good luck.

maal
01-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Excellent example of an ad.

Not too busy, just right. ...wish I had access to a good graphics/layout pro that did such good work.