PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Fish-tank !!

Catcher
09-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi all,
just upgraded our 1 gallon Spongebob aquarium with something a little easier (so I hope) to maintain.
I ended up getting a 'Krislin' 29 gallon tank. It's 30w x 12d x 18h.
Here's my question/ concern:
After ensuring that everything is level/ set up properly I filled the tank.
I then noticed that the long glass side is bowed out. Upon holding a straight-edge across the glass I will get about 1/4" gap on each end if the edge rests on the middle.
Is this normal?
Should I worry about finding the contents on my floor after some time?
Does anybody else have similiar experiences?
What would you do?

Thanks.

Mr_Marc
09-03-2003, 11:20 PM
"If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough" LOL

Sounds like it could be a seal problem, or manufacturing defect. Return and get a new tank, and ask why would this happen?

greenman
09-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Its not supposed to be like that. Glass,even the plexiglass ones, do not bow!!

LAWNGODFATHER
09-04-2003, 12:21 AM
My 55gal is perfectlly straight. Empty it and exchange that defective tank.....

vipermanz
09-04-2003, 05:41 AM
i have a 29 and have no bowing out at all

i'll post a better pic later

polecat63
09-04-2003, 07:37 AM
Prabably a result of something Clinton did while in office. I wouldn't take any chances, you'd better return it.
:D

Catcher
09-04-2003, 08:34 AM
That's odd, no bowing for anybody?
It's not leaking (yet), the whole thing is full of plants and fish.
I'd hate to make them live in a bucket until everything is set up again.
Had a chance to quiz the store-owner, she thinks its perfectly normal (of course).
Not sure what I'll do ..........

GLAN
09-04-2003, 12:31 PM
I see it as a potential problem

Glass that is bowing means it is weak and will eventualy give way.

vipermanz
09-05-2003, 04:01 AM
i just took a square to mine and found right under 1/8'' of expansion total, i checked it out with my local expert and we checked out his too, right about the same as mine is so i now believe it's normal. I looked and on 55 and up tanks, there is a stretcher in the middle so that helps with it's rigidity.

chuckwk
09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
I used to breed african cichlid's (rare species, sometimes more than $250 a pair)... I got carried away with the hobby and had to get rid of everything.... at the end I had over 70 tanks and vats. What a headache!, and what a garage sale that was.

vipermanz
09-07-2003, 12:36 AM
i thought about having a cichlid tank, any suggestions chuck??

chuckwk
09-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Use sand or very fine pebbles, Feed them only twice a day and one of the meals should be vegetable based.... never feed them live food, and make sure your flake is not to high in protein. This is to prevent a disease called Malawi bloat.

Change at least 20% of the water weekly... or try about 10% every day or every other day.... you don't have to de-chlorinate if you only change out 10% or less...

Try keeping the PH at 8 or above (not above 9) ... You can stabilize your PH by throwing a piece of dried coral in the tank.... they can also use this to scrape up against, etc.

Keep the tank water at or above 80 but try and make sure their water temp is stable.

Make sure you give them plenty of hiding spots... for breeding I used small clay pots.

Make sure they have plenty of filtration.... If you use sand, don't worry about cleaning it when you remove water... remember, these fish dig lots in the sand, they will keep it clean enough.

If you don't want to use sand go to your local hardware store and get the course sand blasting rock... (I also got my sand at the hardware store.... DON'T use the kind of sand you throw in the back of your car or truck in the winter.... I think the stuff I got at the store was called silica sand or something like that... its white in color) .... make sure you clean the stuff thoroughly... quite a few rinses.

Don't mix lake Victoria fishes with Malawi fishes...

Don't over crowd a tank .... I might have only had 50 - 75 in a 280 gallon tank. (for show tank) ... I had hundreds in the vats then separated into larger tanks as they grew.

Again, nutrition is the most important thing.