PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite entrepreneur?

Team Gopher
09-03-2003, 02:29 PM
What entrepreneur do you admire most and why?

What's your favorite book on this topic?

Lawn Tek
09-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Me , no book yet

John Gamba
09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Me too, The book Clippings into dollers

LawnLad
09-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Don't know much about him, but you've got to like a guy like Michael Dell - I love his computers. Have stock too! Started the business in his college dorm room and now has one of the most successful manufacturing models in business today. It is actually easy and enjoyable to buy a computer through Dell.

I don't know if Dell has a book. But some other good ones are:

You will be satisfied - Bob Tasca
E-Myth (several in series) - Michael Gerber
The Millionaire Next Door - Tom Stanley

AztlanLC
09-03-2003, 05:22 PM
one of the most successful manufacturing models in business today

It's true.

The real sad thing is that they're starting to cut corners now, customer service, warranty, and the worst their dell prefered account, what a bunch of arsos.

Back on topic

Can't remember his name
the founder of fedex.

JML
09-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Two good books I read was the book about the two guys who started Home Depot, and Donald Trumps autobiography.. Two entreprenuers that were pretty interesting... Another entreprenuer that I have to give a lot of credit would be Jay-Z the rapper, they estimated him to be worth over $300 million. Not bad for a guy who was in jail and sold crack only a few years ago...

CamLand
09-03-2003, 07:53 PM
the founder of Wendy's Dave Thomas,and my Father...

rkbrown
09-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Carlo Gambino :)

John Gamba
09-03-2003, 08:08 PM
I liked Tommy Gambino. Carlos oldest son.

Giovanni antonio Gambino aka John anthony Gamba:D

walker-talker
09-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Ron Popel.....favorite book....either autobiography of Donald Trumph or some of Anthony Robbins books.

MATT

paponte
09-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Ronald McDonald... God I love those BIG Red shoes! :D

Grassmechanic
09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by LawnLad
Don't know much about him, but you've got to like a guy like Michael Dell - I love his computers. Have stock too! Started the business in his college dorm room and now has one of the most successful manufacturing models in business today. It is actually easy and enjoyable to buy a computer through Dell. You'll change your mind about them as soon as you need service. I did.

AL Inc
09-03-2003, 10:19 PM
John Allin comes to mind, I admire his story and what he has created with the Allin Companies/SMG. He seems like a nice, regular person, who has struggled like the rest of us to achieve his goals. It's just that he has achieved his goals on a very large scale.
I never set out to be the biggest landscaper out there, I'm a very hands on business owner, I just wanted a comfortable life for my wife and me, and someday a family. I also am inspired by people I know personally, from all different types of businesses, who have created a great business.
As far as favorite books, I enjoyed Michael Gerber "The E-Myth" this past winter.

glenjr10
09-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Warren Buffet!!

dave80
09-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by AztlanLC

Can't remember his name
the founder of fedex. [/B]

His name was Fred Smith. I know a guy that used to have a shipping business in Baltimore and from what he was telling me Fred Smith got mad when he was in college when one of his professors gave him a bad grade on a paper/project (or something).

Here is an excerpt from an article that I just found:

When FedEx originated the industry in 1973 -- based on a hub-and-spoke concept that FedEx founder and CEO Fred Smith had earlier outlined in a Harvard MBA paper (which got low marks) -- it was the lone player in it.

Link if you are interested:

http://www.cdf.org/cdf/atissue/vol1_1/fedex/fedex.html

Guess it just goes to show you that you never really know what you can accomplish until you try it.

tiedeman
09-04-2003, 02:03 AM
it reminds of Bill Gates and how he screwed over apple and Steve Jobs

tiedeman
09-04-2003, 02:04 AM
nothing against Bill Gates here, I think that his success story is something else

John Allin
09-04-2003, 12:20 PM
You can't imagine how flattering (and humbling) it is to have someone think of me in this vein.... thank you....

I thought of Bill Gates.....

However, all successful people have those who don't think quite as highly of them as others might. While I have not ever intentionally screwed anyone, I'm fairly certain that there are those that would argue differently....

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
09-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
You'll change your mind about them as soon as you need service. I did.

I had a problem w/ my Dell. They sent me a new one and a lexmark 3 in one for my trouble. I was pleased to say the least.

GLAN
09-04-2003, 07:09 PM
You want to know who I admire as entrepreneurs

The little guys

The ones that keep their noses clean, do all the right things, ask the right questions. Work smart and understand that what ever it is they are doing it is about making people happy.

This can be the local paper boy, the youngster with a tractor pulling a wagon with his equipment. The kids shoveling snow, The teen girl babysitting, and so on.

Those are the ones I admire.............:)

Lawn Tek
09-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by John Allin
You can't imagine how flattering (and humbling) it is to have someone think of me in this vein.... thank you.....

Hey man you deserve it , I know you had to work like a dog get where your at .

Grassmechanic
09-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by A1 Lawn@Landscapes
I had a problem w/ my Dell. They sent me a new one and a lexmark 3 in one for my trouble. I was pleased to say the least. I'm glad they took care of you. I've been fighting with them over a warranty issue that dates back to last Feb. All I get is a run-around.

AztlanLC
09-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Thank's DAVE80

That sure sounds like dell nowdays, they just have name recognition but their service has gone down every year.

GraZZmaZter
09-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Ted Nugent ....

Local boy who found happiness in clean living and a love for the outdoors.

pokemon
09-06-2003, 04:54 PM
I admire Bill Gates as an entrepreneurs founder of Microsoft
Favorite Book Power Of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale.

TXJosh
09-08-2003, 12:34 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sam Walton. He is definitely my favorite entrepreneur and his autobiography Mad in America is also good. I would love to lead a life like he did except I would be satisfied to make less money than he did in exchange for more time with family. He wasn't just a great entrepreneur but was a good man too.

studentlawn
09-08-2003, 01:28 AM
The whole time I was reading this thread I also, thought, where the heck is Sam Walton, you just beat me to it. Id recommend Made in America to any entrepreneur, its table of contents acts as a great business outline. Not only was he a great man, but his company is worth more then any other in the world, even more then microsoft.

PaulJ
09-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Josh

I was about to say Sam Walton. I know Wal-mart has gotten a bad rap on hear a few times and I don't have much respect for the company any more. But back when mister walton was alive and running things it was a lot different. he never forgot about the employees who ran his stores and the people who shopped there. I worked at a couple different wal-mart stores in the early 90's (shortly after mister waltons death) and many of the long time employees would talk about the good old days and how things were changing for the worse as more and more of the managers sitting in the home office lost touch with what their company was really about.

sorry about the long story. I just think that Sam wouldn't be too happy if he say his company today.

TRex
09-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Jesse James is my favorite not the ciminal the owner of West Coast Choppers. He has made a fine company doing what he loves and still does what he loves every day at the shop. Building custom bikes from scratch.

Mike Bradbury
09-12-2003, 12:45 AM
(The Happy Hooker)

lawncare3
09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
The people that started with nothing and grew it into a large successful business.

lawncare3
09-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by TRex
Jesse James is my favorite not the ciminal the owner of West Coast Choppers. He has made a fine company doing what he loves and still does what he loves every day at the shop. Building custom bikes from scratch.

Are you talking about jesse james from monster garage?

Team Gopher
09-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Yes I think he is.

TRex
09-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Yes he now does monster garage, but he has built a huge business building custom bikes from bare metal. He shapes the tanks and fenders for a lot of after market vendors in addition to building bikes for high end bike customers who can't get enough from a Harley. And he started as small outfit and slowly grew to be the top custom builder.

lawnman_scott
09-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Walt Disney, he built central Florida from nothing