PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer open trailer or box trailer

GSL 23
09-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Hello,

I would like to know what you prefer an open trailer or a box trailer and why.

Moguy
09-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Box. I can't really store anything where I live so it works for me. Weather and equiptment protection are a few reasons I like the box trailer. Plus, since my business is small, I can store just about all of my equiptment and not take up space in my garage.

pokemon
09-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Enclosed trailers are preferred for several reasons just to name a few.

1. A place for signage

2. Equipment protection from the elements

3. Potential secure storage from crooks lock it up keep the key

4. Looks neater

5. You don not have to be constantly looking over your shoulder while in a busy area.

PaulJ
09-04-2003, 01:09 AM
I like an open trailer. I like to be able to reach everything easily. I like not having a huge rig to manuver around. I don't carry everything wiht me all the time so I have to have a place to stor the other stuf anyway. I just back my small open trailer into a storage unit and close the door at night.
I knoe I am in the minority in prefering open trailers, but that's all I'l probably have as long as I am solo.

work_it
09-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Box trailers are awesome, but like open trailers for their versatility. I just upgraded to a 6 1/2' X 16 1/2' open trailer and am so glad I did. Today I had a huge clean-up and ended up with my trailer stacked completely full with branches. By the time it was loaded up and tied down it was over 7' high. Can't do that with a box trailer. On the other hand, one of my friends has a box and what a set-up. He's built racks for all his tools and a work-bench. Perfect since he doesn't have a garage. Now he's talking about putting a portable generator in it and running the exhaust out through a tail pipe assembly. Just something to think about.

work_it
09-04-2003, 02:26 AM
Another thing to consider with a box is you have a huge rolling road sign. What better way to advertise.

A1 Grass
09-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Enclosed Trailer for me. Mine even has an alarm.

rodfather
09-04-2003, 06:26 PM
I have 3 open 8x20 dovetail trailers. Beside using them for equipment, I can put up to 9 yards of mulch on them with plywood sides I have.

On the go
09-04-2003, 07:44 PM
BOX BOX BOX
I guess you can tell I like the box trailer. Just purchased it and I love it. Main reason was it rained so much this spring and all my $$$$$$ equipment was soaked!! It took hrs. for the belts on the mowers to dry out. The weed weekers and blowers were hard starting. You spend all this hard earned $$$ to have everthing sit out in the rain. Plus after it gets lettered it's a rolling billboard. I'm having shelves installed then I'll be able to fill them with all the little things you cant put on a open trailer. Like oil, extra chains for saw, hand tools. If you set it up right you should be able to carry more items in a box trailer rather than a open trailer.

LawnPerfect
09-16-2003, 11:41 AM
I just started in the industry and bought a 6'10" X 16' open trailer. I already wish i had bought an enclosed unit. shelter from the elements, security, more usable space, signage space, and imho just looks more professional.

acetylene
09-22-2003, 12:14 PM
We use open, A friend just bought a box. His main gripe is filling the mowers. He either has to fill cans and take them in or unload the trailer at the station. I'd rather use an open. It's nothin to put sides on and use it for cleanups.

racerdave
09-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Call me lazy, or crazy, But I have three different trailers.

An enclosed trailer with all my equipment set up. ( which can be emptied in about a half an hour for other uses.

An open trailer (spare) for hauling extra items

And a hydraulic dump trailer for hauling mulch, gravel, topsoil, rock, skidsteer, etc it holds about six yards of mulch.

David