PDA

View Full Version : Them Pesky Moles!

The Lawn Boy Pro
09-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Anyone know how to EFFECTIVELY get rid of them? MY LAWN IS AT STEAK HERE!!!!! :eek: :D

sloth
09-08-2003, 12:44 AM
You need to get rid of their foodsources. They feed on underground insects, grubs etc... Traps work well, get an old one,though the new ones are made cheaply.

GroundKprs
09-08-2003, 01:54 AM
You need to get rid of their foodsources.
WRONG!! Wrong!! Wrong!!

To not feed moles, you would have to remove all insect life and worms from your soil. Really dumb thing to do.

Again, learn about the biology of your problem - a good start is <a href="http://www.entm.purdue.edu/entomology/ext/targets/ADM/ADMPDF/ADM-10.pdf">ADM-10</a>. Trapping is generally considered the best means of controling moles.

ducky1
09-08-2003, 07:24 AM
I have always heard that bubble gum will get rid of them. I happen to have a cat that likes to catch and eat.

Moguy
09-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Traps would work and Mole Med did seem to work on a neighbors property.

The Lawn Boy Pro
09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I've heard of the Juicy-Fruit bubble gum thing before, never tried it though. Anyone know if its effective?

heritage
09-14-2003, 12:00 AM
To rid moles I have found 2 things that work.
#1) mole-med works for about one month....I would recommend this in the veg. garden.

#2) Sevin G at the grub rate will kill earthworms for about 9 months thus eliminating the moles main food source. The earthworns Will come back and the moles will take some time later before they return because they will have found another food source.

If you don't want to use chemicals the you can roll the lawn on a weekly basis to close up the mole tunnels or let the soil dry if possable as this makes it harder for the moles to dig.

Pete D

Mike Bradbury
09-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Organic area and we get recommendation of Sevin to kill all the earthworms!!!! Wow.....

Johnny
09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Read the other mole thread (casteroil for moles???)

Johnny
09-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Chemicals that kill the moles food source (earthworms) is not good...think about it. Oils, gum, repellants, etc. do not work. Poisons do not work. Traps can work, but not very well. Catch the mole (there is only one mole living on your property at a time, most likely). Catch those suckers with a shovel and patience. You must be persistant and quick to act. Close/collapse any and all feeding tunnels located just under the surface. And if you see those large piles of soil in the spring and fall, then you have an underground home being built. And you will be fighting moles for years to come. So catch them before they become established.

TheMom
09-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Used Kitty Litter!

Put it around/down the mole hole and along their runways. They'll move out.

If you don't have a cat, your neighbor or friend who does will be happy to share with you!

lawn_angel
10-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Used kitty litter - yuck. :p.

CaptainAmerica
10-31-2003, 12:07 AM
I recently read about a beneficial nematode that can be applied to the lawn to kill chinch bugs and fleas. Chinch bugs being the preferred food source, according to what I read. Don't rememder where I read it though.

Phishook
11-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Garden hose and drown them.

Flex hose hooked up to truck exhaust.

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-12-2003, 04:25 PM
I know you guys and gals can't subscribe to this philosophy of leaving the moles there, but there is some argument for that from the organic community.

There's a story going around about a couple who bought an old dairy farm. They were told they had a half dozen pigeons to get rid of in the barn. Well they couldn't bring themselves to do it and the flock grew to 50 in a couple years. Then they noticed the flock had started to disappear. The started looking around for the birds and noticed an owl perched in a tree eating one of the pigeons. In about two weeks they were back down to 6 birds and the owl left.

The point being that nature will bring things back into a balance eventually. The counter point from your customers being, "if you can't get rid of my friggin moles, then I'll find someone else who can!!!!!" I understand.

bommaritro
11-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Dchall.

I agree with your philosophy about thing being brought back into balance by nature. However having to deal with a problem to grow for 2 years before nature takes care of the problem is out of the question. From your example I could deal with a few pigeons but no way could I with 50 especially know how much those little buggers crap and how hard it is to clean it all up.

Neat article dealing with nature trying to balance itself out.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/11/13/germany.bird.fish.reut/index.html

Ron

turfcrazy
11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
ex-lax.........believe it or not??

Doster's L & L
02-25-2004, 04:52 PM
so you're saying these little buggers crap themselves to death? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: