PDA

View Full Version : Fall seeding

MikeA
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I have been doing work around the house with alot of help from people on this board and I appreciate it.

I did regrading during the summer and planted grass and now I am going to kill of the wild violets that are taking over every inch of space they can find. After that I plan on planting grass seed in the fall. A couple quick questions on it.

Do I need to put straw down? I don't think so but not sure.

Do I need to water it all of the time like I did during the summer?

When should I look to put the seed down? October, November?

I bought seed during the summer and didn't use it all. I am assuming it is still good. Is that correct?

CT John
09-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Seed should still be good. Straw isn't absolutely necessary, but can be helpful. I didn't use it myself. Water as much as you need to to keep the seed moist at all times until germination. In NJ, you should put the seed down as soon as possible. The window to do this is closing.

MikeA
09-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks

I didn't realize the window was closing, when should I have it done by? I only ask because I just put my weed killer down yesterday and can't plant for a couple of weeks

Thanks
Mike

CT John
09-10-2003, 05:19 PM
What kind of weed killer did you use? Don't worry, you still have at least few weeks to get the seed down. Don't wait to long though. I walked outside this morning at 6 to turn my sprinkler on and it was like 40°! :eek:

MikeA
09-11-2003, 12:04 AM
I used 2 Ortho ones. One that will kill most weeds and the one that will get rid of wild violets. Sorry I can't remember the exact names

jonw9
09-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Purdue says northern climates (su as north Ill, South MI) should be blanted this week at the latest. I believe this was for KBG. It may vary by your zone, and seed. It is zone 5 here.

bobbygedd
09-11-2003, 08:42 AM
i live in nj, and we powerseed well into october with great success. where u at mike? need a hand?

MikeA
09-11-2003, 12:12 PM
I am in NJ (East Brunswick). My lawn is a disaster at this point but I am trying to rescue it. I am in the process of killing off my wild violets. My front lawn has patches in it that are of different types of grass. I can probably use some better leveling in the yard but for now I can live.

If I had somebody come in and save my lawn for me, is that a big job from what I stated above. When should I have that done, now or in the Spring?

Thanks

bobbygedd
09-11-2003, 01:55 PM
definitely NOT in spring. early spring is time to treat for the prevention of weeds, and undesireable grasses. if u need to recondition the lawn in spring, using the chemicals may be a problem, NOT using the chemicals will create a bigger problem. do any reconditioning/repair work now, or in the next few weeks. im in east brunswick also, ill be glad to help u out. estimates, and advice, are completely free of charge. if u need me, let me know

MikeA
09-11-2003, 04:23 PM
what is your contact info? my email is mike_espn@yahoo.com

bobbygedd
09-11-2003, 08:33 PM
and mine is: bobbygedd@aol.com

Turboguy
09-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Hi Mike,
Fall is a better time to seed than spring, but spring is ok if you don't get your lawn ready. In East Brunswick I would recommend that you try to get it in by mid October. I am guessing with all the cool temperatures and rains we have had that it will be a nasty winter that starts early. You might be able to seed as late as Nov 1st but that is gambling. If you are seeding in October straw would be a good idea. Not so much to keep the soil mosit. More because it will help keep the soil warmer. Good luck

MikeA
09-17-2003, 10:56 AM
bobbygedd

Im got your email but the body of it was blank. Can you resend

Thanks

dvmcmrhp52
09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Personally I would not seed after the end of this month.
Not enough time for good root developement before the weather hits.jmo.

MikeA
09-19-2003, 05:09 PM
I might have to wait until the spring anyway. These damn wild violets will not go away.

dvmcmrhp52
09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
The thicker your lawn and healthier your lawn is the less chance for weeds to grow. Thicker lawns crowd out the weeds and shade them as well. As well the heigher you cut your lawn the better for weed control. (3-4 inches.)Most of our lawns are cut at 3 1/2".