PDA

View Full Version : USA Flag Etiquette

Green in Idaho
09-15-2003, 10:19 AM
For those interested here is an excellent site:
www.americanflags.org

It has a good flag etiquette section and lots of other great stuff.

Two notables from that site are:

Advertising and the Flag

“The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.”(U.S Code, Title 4, Chapter1, Section 8(i))

The display of a corporate flag is not considered to be advertising.

Flags on Vehicles

The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.” (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 7(b))

We thus recommend that the flag be attached to the right (passenger) side of a vehicle.

We recommend that flags be removed from vehicles at night since they cannot be properly illuminated. The U.S. Code states, “…when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.” (U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6(a))

Team Gopher
09-16-2003, 12:31 AM
"In the United States the flag is flown at half-staff, by order of the President, to honor the memory of high ranking government officials upon their death."

I thought this was interesting as well.

Link. (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/flaghalf.html)

walker-talker
09-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Team Gopher
"In the United States the flag is flown at half-staff, by order of the President, to honor the memory of high ranking government officials upon their death."

And Bob Hope?

smokymoose
09-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Definitely for Johnny Cash (R.I.P.):angel:

tiedeman
09-18-2003, 02:33 AM
I take great pride in the flag. It upsets me when people young and old don't show respect for the country when they don't display the flag properly, or don't take off their hats for the National Athem.

Thanks for the post Green in Idaho

AztlanLC
09-18-2003, 07:22 PM
I don't have pride for the american flag but I do respect it, I have pride for the mexican flag, because I was born and raised there for 20 years.

Green in Idaho
09-18-2003, 08:33 PM
AztlanLC,
That's odd you mention that right after tiedeman mentioned hats and the National Anthem.

I've been in groups when people loudly make comments about others not 'uncovering' for the Anthem. Ya know when you go to an event or a parade and there is that one person in the group who doesn't do it??? Rodeo crowds are the most likely for it- more likely due to the popularity of hats at a rodeo and more likely to be an issue with the brews and the personalities in attendance. :D

Well,,, to be proper a citizen of another nation would not salute (hand over heart or take off hat) the US flag. instead a simple attentive and respectful stance. So a Canadian or Mexican citizen in the group would not do so, but might to avoid over zealous comments... Just as a US citizen would not salute other flags.:rolleyes: Imaging yourself in France when they play their anthem.??? What to do????

Also at least one religion, Jehovah's, would not salute the flag either. So next time that person is in the crowd, r. they have the right NOT to salute the US Flag and it may be MORE appropriate that way too.

So what do you do AzlanLC when you hear the US Anthem? What has been your experience?