PDA

View Full Version : Chamber of Commerce

Crew Cut Lawncare
09-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Have any of you joined the Chamber of Commerce to expose your name for a means of advertising? If so tell me what you have gained for new customers.

GLAN
09-16-2003, 09:42 AM
I joined my local

It's support for the community. Gotten several jobs along the way from it. More so new home owners.

Team Gopher
09-17-2003, 03:08 AM
Here is a link that discusses the benefits of joining the chamber of commerce.

Link. (http://chamber.columbia.mo.us/m_join_bene.html)

Keith Howells
09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Joined mine. Never got much out of it, so I will not renew this year. Seems expensive when compared to other organizations that have benefitted the business more.

For example I have received business because I'm a member of the BBB. I have also received business because of my ALCA and APLD affiliations.

I suppose it makes a difference where you're located and how active the C of C is. Only so many bucks for that type of thing though.

tiedeman
09-18-2003, 02:35 AM
been thinking about it, I joined the Better Business Bureau..what a waste of money I feel.

I think that I am not going to renew the BBB next year and the join the C of C instead

GLAN
09-18-2003, 10:48 AM
BBB realy does nothing for you. They ask to much money for nothing.

Checking with Consumer Affairs is where it's at. After all they are the ones providing you with the contractors license, not the BBB.

Chamber, at least that money goes towards community projects.

tiedeman
09-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by GLAN
BBB realy does nothing for you. They ask to much money for nothing.

Checking with Consumer Affairs is where it's at. After all they are the ones providing you with the contractors license, not the BBB.

Chamber, at least that money goes towards community projects.

yup, my point exactly. I can't even list the BBB logo on my website without buying an online certificate, which costs about $150 extra for the year. It's ridiculus! And the funny thing is too, I haven't received my monthly newsletter at all in the past 2 months and my membership goes until December

Rex Mann
09-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Seems my local chamber is full of members asking me for discounts on patios and walls.

I do agree, there are better investments of time and money for ROI to your business.

As for the BBB. I think only senior citizens use the service. And, I always think some shady businesses promote the fact, that they are a member of the BBB. The BBB can only report and not act like your local registrar of contractors can.

Peace,

Rex

Keith Howells
09-18-2003, 11:15 PM
I Georgia, you do not have to be licensed to be a contractor. That includes landscapers, home builders etc. The only thing that's required is a business license, and there are plenty of guys that don't have that.

At least here, the BBB is the only thing remotely resembling an agency that watches out for the consumer, so a lot of people seem to use them just to see if there are complaints against the business. I have picked up three jobs this year, all over 10K just because I was a member. Perhaps in a more regulated state things are different and I would make a different choice.

The one membership that has really paid off is APLD. There was an article earlier this year in Smart Money about landscaping and how to shop for a landscaper. The APLD was mentioned as was ALCA. I have gotten several really nice jobs because of those affiliations.

broken leg
09-21-2003, 09:02 PM
As for the BBS it is a joke. Now if you want the big contracts and the big jobs you need to run with the big boys and taht means join the chamber and be active in its actives,I am a menber of two chambers. Good people and good time.

MOlawnman
09-28-2003, 12:18 AM
I have been a member of my local Chamber of Commerce since I started my business 7 years ago. At first I didn's think it was doing any good, but it's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. In my community, networking is everything.

MOlawnman
09-28-2003, 12:32 AM
I have been a member of my local Chamber of Commerce since I started my business 7 years ago. At first I didn's think it was doing any good, but it's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. In my community, networking is everything.