PDA

View Full Version : Preparing my Bermuda for the winter

Burrrmuda
09-17-2003, 09:40 AM
What do you recommend doing to Bermuda lawns for the winter months. I live in Dallas, TX. Should I continue cutting my lawn at the same height or should I raise or lower the height for the colder weather? What kind of winter fertilizer or weed killers do you recommend applying in the upcoming months? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

KerryB
09-18-2003, 09:30 AM
We scalp ours and core aerate them. Then we overseed with per. Rye and fertilize. After the 2nd or 3rd cut we apply Ammonium Sulfate.
I apply a pre-m in Feb or March .

Burrrmuda
09-18-2003, 10:36 AM
I don't want to throw any winter Rye grass seeds down, so should I just cut it low and throw some winter fertilizer?

GeorgiaGrassMan
09-18-2003, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't aerate Bermudagrass this time of year. The grass won't have time to recover before dormancy so the holes will stay uncovered all Winter just begging weeds to take hold.

SWD
09-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Raise the height of cut by half, wait until mid Nov, and put out an application of 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulphate. Cycle the irrigation system about 1/3 of time you have programmed in now. You can begin to apply all sorts of micronutrient based granular soil stimlants now. Microbial content in the soil needs to remain active through out the cooler months. Lesco's a good place to check.
Depending upon the severity of your dormancy, to minimize spring dead spot, consider an application of a fungicide such as Bayleton, or even better, chlorothalinal - similar to Lesco's Revere.

LawnJohn
09-26-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm with GAGrassMan.... I'd leave it at the regular cutting height, until the winter/spring transition next year. Put down a pre-emergent NOW!!! 0-0-7 w/Pre-M would be best. Not need to add fert with N since it's going dormant.

Aerate the lawn during the winter/spring transiton.

Oh yeah... scalp it prior to aerating it then another app of 0-0-7 w/pre-m.