PDA

View Full Version : Turf Management Course

HighGrass
09-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Anybody know of a computer based, or home corespondance course for turf management?
...or licensing?

Bob Minney
09-19-2003, 07:55 PM
http://www.plcaa.org/home/
click on get certification

HighGrass
09-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Just what I was looking for and the price is right! TAHNKS!

Team Gopher
09-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Purdue Turfgrass Pest Management Correspondence Course.

Click here (http://www.cll.purdue.edu/extendeduniversity/selfdirected/correspondencecourses/pestcontrol/detail/index.cfm?Course_ID=3).

SWD
09-22-2003, 06:04 AM
I know several turf management courses on line. What you choose depends on what you want out of it. The easiest way is to search the internet and visit a few sites.

walker-talker
09-22-2003, 09:10 AM
I am currently taking the course that Georgia State University has to offer. I think if you spend a lot of time with it you could get done in about 6 months.

Matt

HighGrass
09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
I am currently taking the course that Georgia State University has to offer. I think if you spend a lot of time with it you could get done in about 6 months.

Matt

Thanks Matt...is it PC based, online...?

walker-talker
09-22-2003, 09:19 AM
No....it book only. Actually it a loose leaf binder. Not real fancy, but fairly easy to read. Do some research here on lawnsite and you will come up with a lot of info on Georgia and Purdue. I have heard that the one from Purdue is tougher, but still recommended. Once you are half way through you have to let the people know at Georgia and they will help you set up a test to be taken at you local university or community college through a proctor.....might cost you around $30 for a proctor....the test fee is included within the orginal cost of the course. Then you have another test at the end. They start off with the very basics....structure of grass and such. It is interesting reading. I think I am only of the 3rd chapter and I have been able to pass on some of my knowledge to client of mine. If you are serious about you business.....take the course!

MATT

HighGrass
09-23-2003, 01:14 AM
So what happens if you fail the final...not that I would but what if?

Randy J
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
With the University of Georgia course, you can retake the final. With the Purdue course though, you can't. Both are great courese, I'd recommend the UofG course first, followed by the Purdue course.

Randy

walker-talker
09-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Randy J
With the University of Georgia course, you can retake the final. With the Purdue course though, you can't. Both are great courese, I'd recommend the UofG course first, followed by the Purdue course.

Randy

This is true....I would also like to say if you need an extension, they offer one. It's a 6 month extension and will cost a small fee.....I think $50. You might want to wait until winter so that you have plenty of time. I really think a person could get done in 6 months if you put out the effort.

MATT

HighGrass
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
This is true....I would also like to say if you need an extension, they offer one. It's a 6 month extension and will cost a small fee.....I think $50. You might want to wait until winter so that you have plenty of time. I really think a person could get done in 6 months if you put out the effort.

MATT

That's exactly my plan...the winter is kind of slow this year (waiting on new snowblower accounts). I figured it would be a great time to get it done. So far, I'm leaning to UG.

walker-talker
09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
My only regret is not enrolling last winter. I enrolled in August and that was too early for this year. Went on a couple of vacations, then along came fall with overseeding and aerating. Just the other day bought Quickbooks Pro and getting ready to switch over from LM to Qxpress. Leaf season is right aroung the corner. All this and working full time job..........too many irons in the fire if you ask me, but I will survive.

MATT

tiedeman
09-23-2003, 11:30 AM
take the U of G one...it's an easy to read course that you actually learn a lot about various subject matters